A Most Improbable Journey: A Big History of Our Planet and Ourselves

by Walter Alvarez

531425,307 (4)1
"Famed geologist Walter Alvarez expands our view of human history by revealing the cosmic, geologic, and evolutionary forces that have shaped us. Big History, the field that studies the entire known past of our universe to give context to human existence, has so far been the domain of historians. In The Little Book of Big History, geologist Walter Alvarez--best known for his 'Impact Theory' explaining dinosaur extinction--makes a compelling case for a new, science-first approach to Big History. He brings a scientist's view to the human story, from the creation of our universe and our planet, the rise of life, the movement of our continents and its effect on human migration, to humanity's ascendance due to our mastery of Earth's natural resources. Alvarez's illuminating observations and stories will give readers a new appreciation of the events, from the Big Bang to the Bronze Age and beyond, that have led to the human situation. Through entertaining, bite-sized chapters, The Little Book of Big History will send readers out in a thousand different directions to learn more"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

good calssified bibliograhy
  fjp32 | Feb 17, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,697,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible