Playing with Fire (2004)

by Peter Robinson

Series: Inspector Banks (14)

Chief Inspector Alan Banks finds himself up against a diabolical arsonist in this electrifying novel of suspense from New York Times bestselling author Peter Robinson. In the early hours of the morning, a man reports a fire on two old canal boats. One of the firefighters notices the use of accelerant at the scene and calls the police, but by the time Inspector Banks arrives, the fire brigade have put out the flames and only the smoldering wreckage remains. A body has been found on each barge, and all the evidence points towards a deliberate arson attack. One of the victims is Tina, a young girl with a drug addiction and a terrible past who had been living with her boyfriend Mark. The other is Tom, an artist who had been living alone. Now, with little evidence to go on and a number of possible suspects, including Tina's boyfriend, the local 'lock-keeper' who reported the fire, and Tina's own father, Banks must begin to delve into the lives of the victims, and to discover who could have wanted them out of the way forever...From the master of psychological suspense, Peter Robinson, comes a mind-bending thriller of secrets and murder.… (more)

English (22)  Swedish (3)  French (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (28)
Banks and Co. are up against a cunning conman and his penchant for setting fires to lose ends. This story moves pretty quickly once it gets going, with a lot of leads, dead ends, and angst for a number of the characters both old and new. Well worth the time listening to it. ( )
  fuzzipueo | Apr 24, 2022 |
DCI Banks is recovering from his breakup with DI Cabbot and getting to terms with her new boyfriend when an art fraud case may be connected with a fire on two houseboats. Another solid installment in a solid series. I do like to follow along in Banks' personal life and those side stories never take over the mystery part, but in this book they do get to mix a little in an unexpected way. I already have the rest of the series waiting in the (virtual) bookcase, so I will definitely continue. ( )
  -Eva- | Dec 18, 2019 |
What can I say? Another excellent DI Banks mystery. ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Apr 7, 2019 |
another Inspector Banks story. Usually by this time in a series, I begin to tire of characters and tend to put the series aside for awhile. This series has not suffered from that fate however. In this episode, a series of mysterious and apparently unrelated arsons have Banks convinced that the coincidences matter. Although I figured out who the culprit was fairly early, I couldn't figure out how it was pulled off and certainly didn't anticipate the wonderfully dramatic ending. A solid 4 stars for me. ( )
  tututhefirst | Feb 12, 2017 |
When two abandoned barges burn, killing two squatters who had been occupying them, it is quickly determined to be deliberate. But who was the intended target, the scruffy artist or the junkie teenager? And when a caravan not far away also burns, killing a third person, it’s up to Inspector Alan Banks to figure out what connection, if any, existed between the dead - and whether another murder might be in the works…."Playing with Fire" is the 14th Inspector Banks novel, so by now we are familiar with the main character and his methods; more, we are familiar with his private life and those of his colleagues, which are as rich and complex as the lives of people in the real world. In this one, I figured out the culprit fairly early on, but that didn’t impede my enjoyment of the book in any way. Mr. Robinson is a fine writer, and I’m very pleased that I still have a long way to go before finishing this series; recommended! ( )
  thefirstalicat | Aug 6, 2016 |

Peter Robinsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Janssen, ValérieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bij een brand komen twee mensen om
het leven. Het gaat om moord, maar
tegen wie was de aanslag gericht?
For Sheila
I was on my third sleeping pill and my second glass of whisky when he knocked on my door.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,713,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible