The Stone Sky by N. K. Jemisin

The Stone Sky

by N. K. Jemisin

Series: The Broken Earth (3)

It was tough going with that nagging sense that this was some weird, uneven fan-fiction. I so wanted this to be a grandstanding finale but there was just too much plinkety-plunkety exposition and description of veins and silver and magic and squiddly-plonk and suspiddly-bonk. I guess this means that I'm not that into fantasy, but I can't help feeling that this just wasn't all that good. There were definitely some moving moments around parenting and the quest that took place over three books was ultimately resolved, but it took the long way round and not in a satisfying manner. i have no idea when I'll ever pick up a fantasy series again given that this won all the awards and yet, after three books I remain almost completely immune to its charms. ( )
1 vote asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
The final book in the Broken Earth trilogy concludes Essun and Nassun’s stories. Essun wants to recover the Moon and bring it back into orbit thereby ending the cycle of seasons, while Nassun just wants to destroy the world. I admit that while reading the book, I had no idea until the very end who would succeed. We are already aware that Hoa is telling this whole story to Essun, yet it is not until this last book that he finally shares his own story.
I don’t want to give away too much of the plot, so just know that this is a very satisfying ending to the trilogy. It had surprises along the way and brought tears to my eyes more than once. The ending kept me so entranced that I stayed an extra 20 minutes on the treadmill, listening to the audiobook until the final credits. I would recommend this series to anyone who likes stories of magic and secrets, or post-apocalyptic tales, or strong yet fallible female characters, or extraordinary world-building. The Broken Earth series has all of this and more, so do yourself a favor and start with The Fifth Season. ( )
1 vote Jessiqa | Feb 18, 2019 |
What an amazing end to the best fantasy series I've read... ( )
  RekhainBC | Feb 15, 2019 |
This is the final volume of the trilogy, which is one of the prominent works in fantasy in particular and speculative fiction in general, published in the last decade. In its structure it follows the structure of the previous volumes, namely having chapters from different points of view, following three characters. This time they include Hoa, the stone eater, which uncovers the ‘origin story’ for this world and ties many loose ends, even up to minute points like the true reason for sef, used as a poison tester.
The story is still full of hardships, angst and pain, which to some extent makes the final chapters, when traditionally the emotions ought to reach their peak (and maybe make readers cry a little), a bit anticlimactic. Nevertheless, the great conclusion for the great series. I am enormously happy to see new diverse voices appearing in the speculative fiction.

But there are none so frightened, or so strange in their fear, as conquerors. They conjure phantoms endlessly, terrified that their victims will someday do back what was done to them—even if, in truth, their victims couldn’t care less about such pettiness and have moved on. Conquerors live in dread of the day when they are shown to be, not superior, but simply lucky. ( )
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |
Excellent conclusion to an excellent series. A bit less engaging to me than the others, possibly because the worldbuilding and characters are stable and established and all that's left is the denouement, but this book still delivers in entertainment and thought-provoking value. And perhaps I'm writing this review too many months after finishing the book, but what of Essun simultaneously being pregnant and becoming a stone eater? Seems like some interesting territory there that I don't think was played with like it could have been.

Definitely a recommended series. ( )
  pammab | Jan 5, 2019 |

N. K. Jemisinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chan, WendyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miles, RobinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paul, TimMap artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To those who've survived: Breathe. That's it. Once more. Good. You're good. Even if you're not, you're alive. That is a victory.
Time grows short, my love.

""Intricate and extraordinary." - New York Times on The Fifth Season THIS IS THE WAY THE WORLD ENDS... FOR THE LAST TIME. The Moon will soon return. Whether this heralds the destruction of humankind or something worse will depend on two women. Essun has inherited the power of Alabaster Tenring. With it, she hopes to find her daughter Nassun and forge a world in which every orogene child can grow up safe. For Nassun, her mother's mastery of the Obelisk Gate comes too late. She has seen the evil of the world, and accepted what her mother will not admit: that sometimes what is corrupt cannot be cleansed, only destroyed. The remarkable conclusion to the post-apocalyptic and highly acclaimed trilogy that began with the multi-award-nominated The Fifth Season. The Broken EarthThe Fifth SeasonThe Obelisk GateThe Stone Sky For more from N. K. Jemisin, check out: The Inheritance TrilogyThe Hundred Thousand KingdomsThe Broken KingdomsThe Kingdom of Gods The Inheritance Trilogy (omnibus edition)Shades in Shadow: An Inheritance Triptych (e-only short fiction)The Awakened Kingdom (e-only novella) Dreamblood DuologyThe Killing MoonThe Shadowed Sun The Dreamblood Duology (omnibus)"--"THIS IS THE WAY THE WORLD ENDS... FOR THE LAST TIME. The Moon will soon return. Whether this heralds the destruction of humankind or something worse will depend on two women. Essun has inherited the power of Alabaster Tenring. With it, she hopes to find her daughter Nassun and forge a world in which every orogene child can grow up safe. For Nassun, her mother's mastery of the Obelisk Gate comes too late. She has seen the evil of the world, and accepted what her mother will not admit: that sometimes what is corrupt cannot be cleansed, only destroyed. The remarkable conclusion to the post-apocalyptic and highly acclaimed trilogy that began with the multi-award-nominated The Fifth Season"--… (more)

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,548,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible