Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop… (2003)

by David Kushner

Masters of Doom is the amazing true story of the Lennon and McCartney of video games: John Carmack and John Romero. Together, they ruled big business. They transformed popular culture. And they provoked a national controversy. More than anything, they lived a unique and rollicking American Dream, escaping the broken homes of their youth to co-create the most notoriously successful game franchises in history-Doom and Quake-until the games they made tore them apart. Americans spend more money on video games than on movie tickets. Masters of Doom is the first book to chronicle this industry's greatest story, written by one of the medium's leading observers. David Kushner takes readers inside the rags-to-riches adventure of two rebellious entrepreneurs who came of age to shape a generation. The vivid portrait reveals why their games are so violent and why their immersion in their brilliantly designed fantasy worlds offered them solace. And it shows how they channeled their fury and imagination into products that are a formative influence on our culture, from MTV to the Internet to Columbine. This is a story of friendship and betrayal, commerce and artistry - a powerful and compassionate account of what it's like to be young, driven, and wildly creative.… (more)

English (24)  Spanish (1)  All languages (25)
Now that I am in my forties, I have suddenly taken a strong interest in video games, more than ever before. This may or may not constitute a midlife crisis. I thought that this interest would quickly flame out as it has on a few other isolated instances where I became infatuated with playing video games but found that the idea of playing them was more enjoyable than actually doing it. But now i love them.

It has cut into my reading time. And the books I do read, I am interested in ones that have to do with video games. There aren't really all that many legit books about video games. This one is pretty well done. It's about the guys who created Doom and basically invented the now-ubiquitous first person shooter genre of games.

The tale almost feels like a Shakespearean tragedy. Or now that I think of it, the story really very closely follows the arc of the Beatles' story. The guys are young and broke and united. They create this thing that unexpectedly becomes a global phenomenon. The money comes rolling in. They buy Ferraris. One of the guys starts referring to himself as God and buys a $9,000 medieval chair for his McMansion. Creative and personal differences bubble to the surface as egos get bigger. They break up and struggle to match the success of Doom with subsequent solo games.

I'm not sure how close to the facts this book hews, it is narrative history with dialogue and everything. It was pretty entertaining though. And I played Doom for the very first time ever the other day. Kick ass game! Also, it must be noted that Wil Wheaton narrates and does a tremendous job. ( )
  usuallee | Oct 7, 2021 |
One of the first computer games I ever played was Wolfenstein 3D on my moms Packard Bell 386 computer. Eventually I also played Doom on it as well. At the time I didn't realize what was behind those games. Masters is more a biography of John Carmack and John Romero - the technical and design talent behind these games and id software.

It's crazy to me how this company got started -- "borrowing" computers from their day job to program on them at night and eventually release Wolfenstein. The small group of guys working in their house part time ended up impacting the world of video games as much as anyone else has, and this is the rise and fall of that empire. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
This book was a big nostalgic trip for me, as I grew up in the same generation as both subjects, and was familiar with most of the games and topics that are discussed.

The book is profane (uses quite a bit of profanity).

I enjoyed perceiving the great strengths and weaknesses of both John Carmack, and John Romero. I enjoy learning for the synergies and human fallacies that occur from the organizational behavior of groups that grow from hard work and desire, and then typically fall apart despite (or probably because) of success.

quinton.baran | Mar 29, 2021 |
Inspired me to start programming for fun again! ( )
  isovector | Dec 13, 2020 |
So many games and their makers crossed path in the early days.
I suggest reading with Youtube open and look at some old interviews and documentaries to complete the experience.
Ends up around 2004? So Carmack work on VR and AI is not included here. ( )
  jbrieu | Nov 6, 2020 |

David Kushnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,209,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible