They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera

They Both Die at the End

by Adam Silvera

Loved the premise. Emotional read. ( )
  kimpiddington | Sep 12, 2018 |
Shy and cautious Mateo and rough-around-the-edges Rufus are very different teenage boys, but they have one thing in common. They each got a phone call this morning between midnight and 1am from DeathCast, a service that lets people know that they are going to die today. Fate (in this case, an app algorithm) brings the two of them together, and they spend their last day on earth pushing each other to do the things they never thought they could. This is their last chance.

I was really expecting to love this book, because everyone else seems to, but I did not enjoy it at all. The general concept - two boys know they are going to die today and become friends (and maybe more) - is a great idea, but the framework built to support it is a nonsensical Swiss cheese world. My problems are endless:
- On a character level, Mateo doesn't want to tell his best friend Lidia that he is going to die because her fiance died last year and she didn't get to say goodbye to him. So Mateo won't let her say goodbye to him either?
- More generally, If everyone who gets called is going to die before midnight, how do timezones work? If you get the call on the west coast of the US and then fly west across the international date line, do you drop dead immediately?
- Police officers spend a significant amount of time trying to prevent Deckers from killing themselves by doing crazy stunts ... why?? If they're going to die anyway why not let them die on their own terms?
- A minor character decides to commit suicide, despite knowing that she did not get a call this morning (what??) but then changes her mind when she sees the main characters laughing and having fun.
- It's mentioned that the government briefly considered lowering the drinking age to 18yo for Deckers, but decided against it because they might get alcohol poisoning or get in a car accident. What???
- All of the Deckers, from main characters to unnamed, spend tons of time trying not to die. To the point where they refuse to get on an elevator because they might die (don't get me started on how you're actually much more likely to die taking the stairs).
- And the biggest problem - the whole concept of the book is that knowing you are going to die would change your behavior. That seems like a good idea when it's just the main characters, but how could that possibly work when every single person knows they're going to die and thus changes their behavior? For example, if a person was going to die in a car crash on their way to work (a very common death), and they found out they were going to die, they probably would not go to work that day, which means they would not be on the highway at morning rush hour and would not get in a car accident.

None of this makes any sense. It was very hard for me to focus on Rufus and Mateo's relationship and character growth when everything around them is so stupid. What kept me going through most of the book was the hope that the boys would rise up and expose their half-baked dystopia, but no such luck.

I did like that the book was told from dozens of points of view, some of them very minor characters. However, there were 3 completely unrelated minor characters named Delilah, Deirdre, and Dahlia and I had to go back and re-read almost half the book to figure out if they were the same person or not.

Everyone else seems to love this book, and I'm just very confused. ( )
2 vote norabelle414 | Jul 1, 2018 |
“But no matter what choices we make - solo or together - our finish line remains the same … No matter how we choose to live, we both die at the end.”
This will be on my end of the year favorites list, let’s get that out of the way first. It’s captivating, thought-provoking, and emotionally resonant. It’s a story that wraps itself around you creating both pain and comfort. I cannot sing it’s praises high enough. [b:They Both Die at the End|33385229|They Both Die at the End|Adam Silvera|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1494333138s/33385229.jpg|49456196] is a bittersweet and hopeful story of courage, adventure, and taking chances. We follow teens Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio who meet on their Death Day, through the Last Friends app, and are determined to make the most of the time they have left. The two grow closer as they explore their city and learn more about themselves and what it means to truly live.

Things I Liked
This book is SO EMOTIONALLY CAPTIVATING. I literally cried half a dozen times. But it’s not only sad - it’s about growth, bravery, adventure, hope, and love. It’s a story that will take you on a journey that has a full spectrum of emotions. All of these emotions make it really easy to connect and invest in the characters and the relationships. There’s meaning and purpose and heart there that pull you in.

I loved Mateo so freaking much. Mateo has severe social anxiety that he feels holds him back in areas of his life, but after he receives his Death-Cast call, Mateo is determined to change and embrace adventure and the unknown. Mateo has this beautiful growth journey and really showcases courage and goodness. He is a treasure and I love him.

Rufus is the other half of our leading duo, and he’s a bit more rough around the edges. He’s had a tough life after the loss of his parents, and has a lot of guilt and anger. He’s also pretty reckless, which forces Mateo out of his comfort zone. Rufus also grows, and learns to unburden himself of things that are outside of his control.

I absolutely loved the relationship that develops in this story. We see Rufus and Mateo’s stories parallel - both don’t want to be alone as their lives are ending, they have fear and guilt over their pasts and futures, they want this last day to mean something. And so, their worlds collide into a fateful and unimaginable day that helps them on their own personal journeys. They create a beautiful crescendo of life and bravery in the time they have together that is about more than simply wishing for a future, but celebrating where they are, who they are, and what they’ve done. Their feelings never felt rushed or forced, even though they've known each other for less than a day. They connect and form a meaningful relationship that has growth, support, and encouragement - everything a healthy should have.

One of my favorite parts of the story was the POV chapters from secondary and tertiary characters. They helped to create this fantastically full world that was both serendipitous and inevitable. It reminded me of The Sun is Also a Star, which was one of my favorite books from last year. I also loved getting to have chapters from those closest to Mateo and Rufus. Seeing their found families, especially Rufus’, gave history and depth to the relationships and made them more impactful.

Quotes:
“Twelve hours ago I received the phone call telling me I’m going to die today, and I’m more alive now than I was then.”

“Two dudes met. They fell in love. They lived. That’s our story.”

“Maybe it’s better to have gotten it right and been happy for one day instead of living a lifetime of wrongs.”

Things I Didn’t Like
This book made me cry a lot and I got a headache.

This story is so hauntingly beautiful. I loved the characters, I loved the relationships, I loved the how it made me feel and care. After reading [b:History Is All You Left Me|25014114|History Is All You Left Me|Adam Silvera|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1462807691s/25014114.jpg|44686341] last year, I can now say that Adam Silvera is definitely a go-to author for books with intense emotions, complicated relationships, and endearing characters. I honestly don’t have the world to accurately express how much I loved this book. I can only say beautiful and amazing so many times, but this book is truly special and I cannot recommend it enough.

I received a copy of the book from HarperTeen via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. All quotes are taken from an ARC and subject to change. ( )
  LifeofaLiteraryNerd | Apr 27, 2018 |
I know the title of the book says it all but it’s how you get there. It’s how you live your last day. I say we all live as if this is our last day on earth. So powerful and so sad. ( )
  AmandaLD | Apr 18, 2018 |
Okay. I'm calm enough to write a short review.

I really love it. I love the premise and if it were possible, I would like to know when I'm going to die. I love the main characters. I even like the minor characters and their little stories. Two POVs were a right call and I just love Mateo and Rufus so much. I was hoping that they won't die, but Ive cried so much when Mateo did. Even though Rufus' fate is left as a cliffhanger, you just know that he got run over by a car. It's so fucking sad and unfair.

Now I really want a movie. ( )
  aljosa95 | Mar 27, 2018 |

Adam Silveraprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crouch, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daymond, RobbieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fitzsimmons, ErinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prades, SimonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To live is the rarest thing in the world.
Most people exist, that’s all.
—Oscar Wilde
For those who need a reminder to make every day count.

Shout-out to Mom for all the love and
Cecilia for all the tough love. I’ve always needed both.
Death-Cast is calling with the warning of a lifetime—I’m going to die today.

In a near-future New York City where a service alerts people on the day they will die, teenagers Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio meet using the Last Friend app and are faced with the challenge of living a lifetime on their End Day.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,835,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible