The Fact of a Body: A Murder and a Memoir by…

The Fact of a Body: A Murder and a Memoir

by Alexandria Marzano-Lesnevich

I went into this expecting some straight forward crime reporting, but in actuality it was a much more circuitous and interesting route through the molestation and murder of a child in the 80s as told in relation to the author's experience growing up. The comparisons between the author's family, the victim's family, and the killer's family is fascinating. I had a little bit of an issue with the information that the author decided to withhold and parcel out; there are some things I think might have been better to know from the start, and others that I thought might have been better kept from the reader. Either way, really enjoyed it. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
I received an ARC from Flatiron Books in exchange for an honest review. I'm not really one to read nonfiction but I enjoyed the way this book was written. At times it was difficult to read due to the pedophilia and sexual abuse but it was needed to stay true to the stories. I hope it doesn't take the author another 10 yrs to write her next novel! ( )
  michelynn2016 | Nov 20, 2018 |
I didn't understand the structure of this book at first - is it about a murder or her history? It wasn't until the last third of the book that I finally understood that this book is primarily about child sexual abuse. The way the author weaves in the story of a child molester who killed a child, and how it made her face her own history of family secrets and abuse, is honest and unflinching. It must have taken a lot of courage to write this book. ( )
  redwritinghood38 | Nov 6, 2018 |
Murder, rape and incest are never easy subjects, but Marzano-Lesnevich did a fantastic job. I kept forgetting that the events were based on real life, which was a good thing for me, otherwise it might have been too much. I flew through the book like it was fiction, and then reality hit home hard as I read to the end. She did such an amazing job of drawing me in and flitting back and forth between her present and the criminal's past. Great job on research and excellent narrative. Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote Berly | Nov 1, 2018 |
I don't give a 5 star unless a book has hit a deep part of my soul or given me a lesson to carry with me through life. ( )
  Firehair_Wildling | Sep 12, 2018 |
[I]t is always possible that the solution to one mystery will solve another.
—TRUMAN CAPOTE,
IN COLD BLOOD
for my parents
Prologue: There is a principle in the law called proximate cause, taught to first-year law students through the case Palsgraf v. Long Island Railroad Co.
Chapter One: The boy wears sweatpants the color of a Louisiana lake.

"Before Alexandria Marzano-Lesnevich begins a summer job at a law firm in Louisiana, working to help defend men accused of murder, she thinks her position is clear. The child of two lawyers, she is staunchly anti-death penalty. But the moment convicted murderer Ricky Langley's face flashes on the screen as she reviews old tapes -- the moment she hears him speak of his crimes -- she is overcome with the feeling of wanting him to die. Shocked by her reaction, she digs deeper and deeper into the case. Despite their vastly different circumstances, something in his story is unsettlingly, uncannily familiar. Crime, even the darkest and most unsayable acts, can happen to any one of us. As Alexandria pores over the facts of the murder, she finds herself thrust into the complicated narrative of Ricky's childhood, and by examining his case, is forced to face her own story, unearth long-buried family secrets, and reckon with a past that colors her view of Ricky's crime."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,421,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible