What It Means When a Man Falls from the Sky…

What It Means When a Man Falls from the Sky

by Lesley Nneka Arimah

Foreign Soil by Maxine Beneba Clarke (Anonymous user)
    Difficult Women by Roxane Gay (Anonymous user)

Another bookstagrammer, @bookisshhh, and I read this book of short stories together and shared our thoughts about the collection on her Instagram page. I am glad we chose to read it as our shared read because I would not have chosen it on my own. What It Means When a Man Falls from the Sky is Lesley Nneka Arimah’s debut collection and contains a varied mix of stories that generally succeed splendidly and occasionally fall short. The title story is by far the outstanding tale in the collection; I enjoyed it so much that as soon as I finished it I started it over again. “Wild” is the other story that stood out to me and has stayed with me long after I finished the book. This cautionary tale proves that what people want the world to believe is often drastically different than what is actually occurring in their lives. While I enjoyed most of the stories, two of them were slow enough that I ended up not finishing them.

If you are on Instagram check out the fabulous post that @bookisshhh created to share our joint thoughts on the collection. I definitely recommend this book for those who enjoy short stories and uniquely told tales. ( )
  cburnett5 | Oct 21, 2017 |
I'm on a roll; the short story collections I've read this year have been far more engaging and resonated more than the novels I've read this year to date. And here's another debut collection that I wish everyone would read immediately. Of the twelve stories included, the titular tale is the one in which I lost myself completely. I really really really wanted to read a longer story set in that world.

Individual story breakdown to come.

4 stars
(and I'll be reading whatever Arimah writes next!) ( )
2 vote flying_monkeys | May 15, 2017 |
I found these stories very difficult to listen to. In all fairness it may have been the readers. The stories struck me as unnecessarily harsh. Is there really so much anger in all these relationships? ( )
  hemlokgang | Apr 24, 2017 |
I read this in one sitting. Arimah's characters seethe with internalized violence they sublimate through storytelling, the same violence that eventually extinguishes the fire of girls as god, their mothers, and society mold them into proper young women. Complete with dashes of magical realism and steeped in lore.

Riverhead has 2017 locked down. ( )
1 vote Jan.Coco.Day | Mar 31, 2017 |
For my father. Thank you for telling me your stories.

A dazzlingly accomplished debut collection explores the ties that bind parents and children, husbands and wives, lovers and friends to one another and to the places they call home.

In “Who Will Greet You at Home,” a National Magazine Award finalist for The New Yorker, A woman desperate for a child weaves one out of hair, with unsettling results. In “Wild,” a disastrous night out shifts a teenager and her Nigerian cousin onto uneasy common ground. In "The Future Looks Good," three generations of women are haunted by the ghosts of war, while in "Light," a father struggles to protect and empower the daughter he loves. And in the title story, in a world ravaged by flood and riven by class, experts have discovered how to "fix the equation of a person" - with rippling, unforeseen repercussions.

Evocative, playful, subversive, and incredibly human, What It Means When a Man Falls from the Sky heralds the arrival of a prodigious talent with a remarkable career ahead of her.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 07 Jan 2017 19:53:06 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,655,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible