You're in the Wrong Bathroom!: And 20…

"You're in the Wrong Bathroom!": And 20 Other Myths and…

by Laura Erickson-Schroth

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A brisk read, this book examines various myths about transgender and gender nonconforming people. The book is organized by examination of various myths and ideas. For example, Myth 14 (and thus, chapter 14) explores the myth that Trans people are mentally ill and therapy can change them. For me, especially intriguing were the sections of the book devoted to history and culture. I also loved the resources found in back of the book including books for further reading. ( )
  karenweyant | Jun 9, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An excellent (and short) book that explains why 21 myths about trans and other gender non-conforming people are wrong and why these myths are harmful. Each chapter tackles one of the myths. The chapters are grouped in four parts: Identity, Sex and Relationships, Health and Safety, and History and Community. The authors are two trans women. One is a psychiatrist; the other a therapist. Both serve the LGBTQ community.

At a time when more people are talking about trans issues from Caitlyn Jenner to bathrooms, this book provides background and context to the reader. The book helped inform my thinking about these issues. (Note: I read an uncorrected page proof edition of the book.) ( )
  cataclysm | May 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the perfect book to take on if you desire to be more informed about transgender identities, rights and sufferage. The amount of current and emerging information found in this book went far beyond my expectations. The authors went to great lengths to deliver a more thorough example, more specific details and answers to the awkward questions you've always wanted to ask but didn't think you could without offending someone. This is an easy and concise read that packs more punch than any single college course could hope to. Perfect to hand out to those hesitate LGBTQ allies in your space or to leave on the coffee table for friends to educate themselves with. ( )
  VictoriaBrodersen | Apr 30, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found the book to be very informative and was shocked by some of the statistics, I think it's a must read for those that fear the unknown. ( )
  JerseyGirl21 | Apr 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a straight man who wanted to understand transgender people, I hoped "You're in the Wrong Bathroom!" would provide a solid amount of information. It did that and in a compact 140 pages. I've always been a "live and let live" person, never wanting to be unkind to anyone. This book made me more sympathetic to transgender people. Their lot in life in society is a difficult one

. I'd never been sure if a person who is referred to as a " transgender woman" is a woman who identifies as a man or if "transgender woman" means a man who identifies as a woman. So, I learned that the term refers to the gender the person identifies with and has often taken measures to transition to. A gay friend, when I told him about the book, said he'd always been unsure too.

I do have a few problems with the book, however. It strongly advocates for transgender people to the extent that it rejects out of hand or completely ignores some valid concerns that many people who aren't transgender have. And, no, I don't think transgender women are going to attack women in restrooms. Also, I'd expected the book would address the question of whether or not a person can change genders either by willing it or by drugs/hormones and/or with operations. It did not address the question directly. At most, it seemed to imply that such a change is possible. ( )
  CharlesBoyd | Apr 17, 2017 |
There are approximately one million transgender people in the United States, and chances are you have met one (or more) of them.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Laura Erickson-Schroth's book "You're in the Wrong Bathroom!": And 20 Other Myths and Misconceptions About Transgender People is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,107,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible