You're in the Wrong Bathroom!: And 20…

"You're in the Wrong Bathroom!": And 20 Other Myths and…

by Laura Erickson-Schroth

106880,191 (4)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found the book to be very informative and was shocked by some of the statistics, I think it's a must read for those that fear the unknown. ( )
  JerseyGirl21 | Apr 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a straight man who wanted to understand transgender people, I hoped "You're in the Wrong Bathroom!" would provide a solid amount of information. It did that and in a compact 140 pages. I've always been a "live and let live" person, never wanting to be unkind to anyone. This book made me more sympathetic to transgender people. Their lot in life in society is a difficult one

. I'd never been sure if a person who is referred to as a " transgender woman" is a woman who identifies as a man or if "transgender woman" means a man who identifies as a woman. So, I learned that the term refers to the gender the person identifies with and has often taken measures to transition to. A gay friend, when I told him about the book, said he'd always been unsure too.

I do have a few problems with the book, however. It strongly advocates for transgender people to the extent that it rejects out of hand or completely ignores some valid concerns that many people who aren't transgender have. And, no, I don't think transgender women are going to attack women in restrooms. Also, I'd expected the book would address the question of whether or not a person can change genders either by willing it or by drugs/hormones and/or with operations. It did not address the question directly. At most, it seemed to imply that such a change is possible. ( )
  CharlesBoyd | Apr 17, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as part of the LibraryThing Early Reviewer Program. Overall, I think the authors did a good job of covering a lot of bases, discussing intersectionality (connections between race/feminism/GLBT issues/class/etc), and nicely highlighting concepts like that many of the issues trans people run into are the fault of an intolerant society, not a fault of themselves. (And can society fix itself soon please?)

My only complaint is that sometimes they are frank enough that I would be uncomfortable handing this book to either a teen student or one of my aunts. It has a chapter on sex-workers and another one on sexual practices, and they did a good job with their discussion - they are wonderfully non-judgemental - but they are occasionally more open than some people may be ready for. On the whole, though, for a 140 page book it answers a lot of questions.

It has an extensive list of resources - books, organizations, websites, etc - at the end. ( )
  JanesList | Apr 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
You're in the Wrong Bathroom! is well written and is very informative and up-to-date with current information.
It covers many aspects of Transgender and Gender Non-conforming people.
I'd recommend it for anyone interested in learning more, including allies, and even transgenders themselves, especially
any who are just beginning to accept themselves and/or wondering exactly where they fit. ( )
  Mantra | Apr 10, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book, which I received through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program, is an excellent resource for educators. The matter of fact tone is appropriate for both adolescent and adult audiences. Short, tightly focused chapters balance readability with historical and social science references. Referenced works are fully cited in the back matter of the book, providing a strong basis for further inquiry, without impacting the clear nature of the text, or cluttering the body of the book with footnotes.

An extensive section of resources will be valuable for those seeking further reading and is helpfully broken down by genre and target audience. The resources section will also be invaluable for those seeking support from organizations, or attempting to create safe spaces for trans and gender nonconforming individuals in their community.

I can highly recommend You're in the Wrong Bathroom! to anyone seeking a resource to facilitate respectful dialogue about trans and gender non-conforming people and the issues they face. ( )
  krasiviye.slova | Apr 10, 2017 |
There are approximately one million transgender people in the United States, and chances are you have met one (or more) of them.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

"You're in the Wrong Bathroom!": And 20 Other Myths and Misconceptions About Transgender People by was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,905,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible