The Dark Days Pact by Alison Goodman

The Dark Days Pact

by Alison Goodman

"In 1812, Lady Helen, taking refuge for the summer in Brighton, learns the Dark Days Club has a secret mission for her"--
Recently added byYgraine, mskenmedy, DebraJC44, Jewellbug, RegT, private library, amanda.k.s7, fionaanne, hunyum, EmiHad

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wasn't sure I liked this initially but it managed to suck me in quite effectively when I wasn't paying attention. Unexpectedly clever in all sorts of ways. Highly recommended to everyone, even people who don't usually like this sort of thing.

I recieved a free copy of this book from the publisher for review. ( )
  fionaanne | Dec 6, 2019 |
This series continues to be great period fun and games. The strong Regency style and sensibility works to really heighten the emotional and romantical elements, though I found it occasionally a bit of a liability in the action sequences. I think this second book hung together even more strongly than the first, able to really develop and weave its elements, and leaving things wonderfully poised for a cracking finale in the third book.

Basically: Buffy the Vampire Slayer done Austen-style, with the occasional page-long wallowing in the scalding moment of sexual tension inherent in a gentleman helping a lady-masquerading-as-a-gentleman out of her too-tight coat. If that sounds like your cup of tea, get thee ahold of this delightful teapot. ( )
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |
I loved the first Lady Helen novel and expected to enjoy this one, but did not expect this to be even better. Of course, I'm a sucker for a good romance novel, and, at heart, this is a romance novel, albeit one with monsters. I loved watching Lady Helen come into her own and stand up for herself and those she cares about. I could go into more detail, but I'm honestly still kind of in swoony space. If you like Regency-set romance, girls fighting monsters, political machinations or just a good story well told, pick up The Dark Days Club (the first Lady Helen novel) then track down a copy of this one and then spend the next year (or more) waiting in anxious anticipation with me for book three. ( )
  BillieBook | Nov 20, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Dark Days Pact is the second book of a historical fantasy trilogy set in Regency England. The main character, Lady Helen, discovered in the first book that she inherited the ability to fight demons from her mother. She is leaving behind the life she expected to have as an upper class young woman, and is learning how to fight and use her powers, and learning more about the Dark Days Club and trying to figure out who she can trust.
This is an entertaining fantasy adventure, with a romance subplot, and anyone who enjoys the genre will like this too. I am looking forward to the third book. ( )
  lazybee | Nov 7, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
After reading just a few pages of The Dark Days Pact, it became apparent that it was necessary to first read the first book in what, as it turns out, is a trilogy. The Dark Days Club swept me into a very unusual but compelling tale which is a mixture of a Regency romance, a paranormal romance and a horror story. The second book certainly does not recap everything from the first book which I appreciate but does necessitate reading the first book first. I could not put these books down and was disappointed to have to wait for the 3rd book. The closest comparison I can come to is the Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare (which I love) but this is darker than Clare's series. I highly recommend the Dark Days books. ( )
  dewasus1 | Oct 28, 2018 |
To my father, Douglas Goodman,
a gentleman and a hero
Delia, my dear friend,

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Alison Goodman's book The Dark Days Pact was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,487,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible