Soulless by Gail Carriger

Soulless (2009)

by Gail Carriger

Series: Parasol Protectorate (1), Parasol Universe (5)

Recently added byKatie_Roscher, rena75, Totoro66, private library, Shadow_Sandy, cavernism, LizzysLibrary
    Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (nessreader, lquilter)
    nessreader: The heroine of Soulless has a similar outlook to early Amelia Peabody (but I should warn that the Peabody series is cosy crime/romance, with no supernatural element while Soulless is gleeful fantasy) Both have strong willed on-the-shelf spinsters who are active protagonists in their story.… (more)
    lquilter: Without knowing, I'd imagine that Gail Carriger had read Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series (beginning with Crocodile on the Sandbank) before writing Blameless (et seq). Similar era, similarly cranky and forthright spinster protagonist, similar sort of love affair, similar witty dialog and observations. The Amelia Peabody books are, of course, "straight" historical mystery, without the steampunk elements of Carriger's series, but I imagine that Carriger fans who read out-of-genre also will enjoy the Peters' series. Similarly, Peters fans who like SF, steampunk, or vampires/werewolves, might enjoy the Carriger series.… (more)
    Sorcery and Cecelia, or, The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede (kiesa)
    kiesa: Sorcery and Cecelia is a young adult novel but aspects of Soulless reminded me of it.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (rhonna)
    Changeless by Gail Carriger (VampLibrarian)
    The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder (GirlMisanthrope)
    Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For Victorian heroines of inhuman nature.
    God Save the Queen by Kate Locke (binarydude)
    Phoenix Rising by Pip Ballantine (reconditereader)
    Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis (amysisson)
    amysisson: Although this book is YA while "Soulless" is more adult, they have a similar feel and wit.
    The Serpent's Shadow by Mercedes Lackey (lyrrael)
    New Amsterdam by Elizabeth Bear (GirlMisanthrope, jlynno84)
    GirlMisanthrope: vampires and dirigibles, too. One of my favorites.
    jlynno84: Paranormal, steampunk with a mystery to solve
    The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman (ablachly)
    Silver in the Blood by Jessica Day George (al.vick)
    Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho (Luisali)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (caittilynn)
    Moonshine by Alaya Johnson (Mumugrrl, MyriadBooks)
    Mumugrrl: Both books are set in urban, alternative realities, with humans openly interacting with preternatural society. Both have great strong heroines.
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (crimeminister)
    Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger (kgriffith)
    The Clockwork Scarab: A Stoker & Holmes Novel by Colleen Gleason (al.vick, al.vick)
    The Dark Days Pact by Alison Goodman (lazybee)

English (435)  Hungarian (2)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (440)
I should have closed the book when I saw the author liked to use silly names. For some reason, silly names make me really irritated. It's not particularly well written, and the premise is cloudy at best. I do think this has an audience but I am definitely not it. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
What a delightful, funny find!

Before I read this book, my few encounters with steampunk had not been very successful, and I was convinced that this genre was not for me: well, Gail Carriger's Soulless (the first in the Parasol Protectorate series) changed my mind from the very beginning of Chapter One. After all, how could I resist a heroine who, seeing herself repeatedly assaulted by a hungry vampire, was shocked not so much by the attack as by the fact that “We have not even been introduced!”?

Tongue-in-cheek humor and a fresh writing style are indeed the winning elements in this book.

Full review at my blog: http://spaceandsorcery.blogspot.it/2014/06/soulless-gail-carriger.html ( )
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |
Turns out, I hadn't reviewed this book before, which is weird because I've read it many, many times. Soulless kicks off a series of steampunk romance novels that themselves kicked off the explosion of steampunk romance and it is still, about a million rereads later, fun and sexy and a heck of a romp through Victorian England -- with added vampires, werewolves, ghosts, and dirigibles, of course! Carriger knows her way around quirky British humor, flirtation, and tea -- as well as having a strong head for character development -- so the best parts of the book are the quips, conversations, and kissing between our favorite spinster, Miss Alexia Tarabotti, and those she holds dear and/or despises (it's romance, my friends, so those designations do change!). Her delightful side characters add real joy and, lest you think it's all just tea and flirting, there is a good bit of action toward the end. Also nakedness! Overall, this is the perfect antidote to gloom and agony, and the perfect fix to a reading slump. I'm glad to have visited this old friend again. ( )
1 vote beserene | Dec 1, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book. I found Alexia Tarabotti to be a most amusing heroine and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
  ladyoflorien | Nov 19, 2018 |
Very fun. I did not expect it to be so romance-y, but that part was quite enjoyable too. Also loved Alexia's vampire GBF.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
Carriger debuts brilliantly with a blend of Victorian romance, screwball comedy of manners and alternate history.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 24, 2009)

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Caballero, DerekPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eckwall, JensineIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karlin, LenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ricci, DonnaCover modelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miss Alexia Tarabotti was not enjoying her evening.

Alexia Tarabotti, a woman without a soul who is viewed as unable to marry, works with werewolf Lord Conall Maccon to clear her name after she accidently kills a vampire and is suspected of the disappearances of other undead members of high society.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316056634, Mass Market Paperback)

Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire -- and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate.

With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:29 -0400)

"Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette. Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire - and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate. With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Or will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart? SOULLESS is a comedy of manners set in Victorian London: full of werewolves, vampires, dirigibles, and tea-drinking."--Nielsen.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,668,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible