The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

by Taylor Jenkins Reid

9,392365819 (4.15)1 / 113
Aging and reclusive Hollywood movie icon Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life. But when she chooses unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant for the job, no one in the journalism community is more astounded than Monique herself. Summoned to Evelyn's Upper East Side apartment, Monique listens as Evelyn unfurls her story: from making her way to Los Angeles in the 1950s to her decision to leave show business in the late 80s, and, of course, the seven husbands along the way. As Evelyn's life unfolds, Monique begins to feel a very a real connection to the actress. But as Evelyn's story catches up with the present, it becomes clear that her life intersects with Monique's own in tragic and irreversible ways.… (more)
    Siren Queen by Nghi Vo (Aquila)
    Aquila: Hollywood choices.

Group TopicMessagesLast Message
 Someone explain it to me...: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo4 unread / 4MurphyJesus, December 20, 2023

English (358)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (361)
LOVED. ( )
  eboods | Feb 28, 2024 |
It's hard to imagine anything I will read this year that will match this. I think I've just finished one of my favorite books. Here's what worked (without spoilers):
- Evelyn Hugo is one of the best character I've ever read. The story contains a beautifully constructed evolution of the protagonist that does not water down the essence of the character. She is as unapologetic and shameless as we first met her but there is a trail showing changes in values and behaviour. I loved being in her head (reading people the way she did, recognizing opportunities the way she did, I could go on...) Reading in her perspective allowed me to fly through the book, it felt like 100 pages.
- Seven Husbands is morally grey done well. So often we see character tout themselves as such but act nothing of the sort. Every character in the story has moments where they act with kindness
or maliciousness.
- Monique's perspective elevated the book and brought gravity and perspective to a story so grandiose and different to the lives of readers. I loved hearing Monique ask Evelyn questions I wanted to ask myself. Their dynamic busted that 4th wall down and made Evelyn seem (even) more human. It felt like I was right there in Evelyn's apartment. ( )
  ratatatatatat | Feb 21, 2024 |
This book very easily drew me in to share the story with the characters as though I was watching it actually take place. It is filled with the brutal honesty of what some will do to get what they desire regardless of the means. I found myself constantly cheering Evelyn on with her fight to follow her heart. This was an amazing story of starting from nothing to the struggles of finally having it all. ( )
  CrystalR68 | Feb 20, 2024 |
Enjoyed the book a lot. Evelyn Hugo is a mega movie star in the prime of her life. She selects Monique to come to her home and record the true story of her life. She shares intimate details of her life and her times with each of her seven husbands. She promises Monique that she, Monique, will find herself a very wealthy woman once the biography is published. We learn that her first husband she married for love, but he turned out to be a wife beater. During this time she meets Celia St. James, a fellow actress. She and Celia becomes fast friends. Evelyn learns that Celia is a lesbian and Evelyn realizes that she must be bisexual, as she and Celia share their feelings with each other. Evelyn has a best friend, Harry Cameron, her agent, who is also gay. He becomes one of her seven husbands. It is a shared marriage, in that Celia marries Harry's lover and she and Evelyn can be together as can Harry and John. John dies suddenly and Harry is bereft. He later finds another man that he feels could be his next love. However, Harry and this man are in a fatal accident in which Harry is driving drunk. Evelyn and her driver come upon this accident and with the help of her driver removes Harry from the driver's seat and puts the passenger, who has died, in the driver's seat. They then take Harry to the hospital, where he dies from loss of blood. We later learn that the passenger is Moniques's father who she was told died in a single car accident while driving drunk. Monique was in grade school when this happened and was very close to her dad. She was devastated when Evelyn shared this information with her. Evelyn also gave Monique a letter that her dad had written to Harry stating that he could not be with Harry because of his love of his wife and daughter. It is a sad ending as we learn that Evelyn has late stage breast cancer and little to live. But we also learn that she plans on ending her life so she does not have to suffer.

Monique goes on to come to terms with her time with Evelyn and takes on the writing of the biography.
Kirkus: A n aging starlet with seven marriages behind her generously offers the rights to her memoir to an inexperienced writer—at a heartbreaking cost.

Monique Grant is stunned when Hollywood legend Evelyn Hugo grants an exclusive interview to her over more seasoned journalists, but when she’s also chosen to publish Evelyn’s final confessions after her death, she learns that the 79-year-old actress has enough life experience for them both. Growing up poor in Hell’s Kitchen, young Evelyn Herrera trades her virginity for a ride to Hollywood, changes her name, and climbs the rungs of the entertainment-industry ladder one husband at a time until she hits Oscar gold. To write her off as being calculating and fickle would leave out the difficulty of being a woman, especially a woman of color, trying to get by in the late 1950s without a man’s blessing. Evelyn plays up her bombshell figure and hides her Cuban roots by dying her hair blonde—the first of many lies she’ll have to tell over the course of her life to prove to the world that she deserves her place in the spotlight. She’s unapologetically ambitious but not without remorse. Which of her seven husbands was her true love? Why did she choose Monique to tell her story? Evelyn recounts her failures and triumphs in chronological order, one husband at a time, with a few breaks for Monique to report back to her editor. The celebrity tell-all style is a departure from Reid’s (One True Loves, 2016, etc.) previous books, but Evelyn Hugo is a character who can demand top billing. When asked if it bothers her that “all anyone talks about when they talk about you are the seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo,” she says no: “Because they are just husbands. I am Evelyn Hugo.”

Reid's heroine reveals her darkest secrets as if she were wiping off makeup at the end of the night—a celebration of human frailty that speaks to the Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor in us all.
  bentstoker | Feb 13, 2024 |
You know how in Titanic there’s that scene in the contemporary part of the narrative where all the people on the boat are leaning forward staring at Rose while she tells her story? I felt like that at the end of every chapter of the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo: and emotional leaning in, with AND THEN WHAT HAPPENED???

A journalist gets the gig of a lifetime when she is handpicked to write an article at the end of a famous and now reclusive actress’s life; it turns out celebrity Evelyn wants only Monique to ghost-write her biography and reap all the rewards and benefits the publication will bring. But why? The mystery is unraveled through the telling of Evelyn’s tale, and through learning the details of Evelyn’s life and loves, Monique is able to process the end of her own marriage. Fantastic dramatic literary fiction.

I purchased and read my own copy. ( )
  informationgoddess29 | Feb 4, 2024 |

Reid, Taylor Jenkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cuervo, AlmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miles, RobinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parpola, InkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lilah
Smash the patriarchy, sweetheart
Film legend and '60s It girl Evelyn Hugo has just announced that she will auction off 12 other most memorable gowns through Christie's to raise money for breast cancer research.
“… When you’re given an opportunity to change your life, be ready to do whatever it takes to make it happen. The world doesn’t give things, you take things. …”
I think the difference between an actress and a star is that the star feels comfortable being the very thing the world wants her to be.
Intimacy is impossible without trust. And we would have been idiots to trust one another.
But the truth is, praise is just like an addiction. The more you get it, the more of it you need just to stay even.
You know the key to impulsivity is believing you are invincible. No one goes around throwing caution to the wind unless the wind is blowing their way.

Egy szédítő hollywoodi karrier. Egy mélyen eltemetett titok. A legendás, de teljes visszavonultságban élő világsztár, Evelyn Hugo évtizedek óta először hajlandó interjút adni. A döntésénél már csak a választása meglepőbb: ragaszkodik egy fiatal, ismeretlen újságírónőhöz, Monique Granthoz. Miért pont neki jut ez az álomlehetőség?

Aztán Evelyn emeli a tétet. Mert a szimpla sztárinterjú helyett sokkal többet ajánl. Mindent. A teljes igazságot csillogóan botrányos életéről. Semmit sem szépítve és semmit sem elhallgatva.

Ahogy elkezdődik a munka, az újságírónő nemsokára sejteni kezdi: valamilyen módon összefonódik saját sorsa és Evelyn múltja. Ám ennek a titoknak nagy ára van.

Szerelmek, végzetek, barátságok és árulások, aztán egy elképesztő csavar – ez a szenvedély és az életbölcsesség letehetetlen regénye.

Current Discussions

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo in Someone explain it to me...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 202,039,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible