The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

by Taylor Jenkins Reid

"Aging and reclusive Hollywood movie icon Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life. But when she chooses unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant for the job, no one in the journalism community is more astounded than Monique herself... Regardless of why Evelyn has chosen her to write her biography, Monique is determined to use this opportunity to jumpstart her career. Summoned to Evelyn's Upper East Side apartment, Monique listens as Evelyn unfurls her story: from making her way to Los Angeles in the 1950s to her decision to leave show business in the late 80s, and, of course, the seven husbands along the way. As Evelyn's life unfolds, revealing a ruthless ambition, an unexpected friendship, and a great forbidden love, Monique begins to feel a very a real connection to the actress. But as Evelyn's story catches up with the present, it becomes clear that her life intersects with Monique's own in tragic and irreversible ways."--… (more)

English (251)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (254)
All the drama and glitz one expects from Taylor Jenkins Reid. Read my thoughts here. ( )
  joyblue | Nov 20, 2022 |
This book gets five stars from me because I (mostly) couldn't put it down, and it's a romance novel! ( )
  jenwelsh | Nov 18, 2022 |
This was an intriguing read - and I can understand why it is a popular book. I enjoyed the mystery aspect but I was not a super fan of either of the main characters. So it fell just a tad bit flat for me there. I liked Monique's mom, though! ( )
  robenc | Nov 15, 2022 |
I thought I had read this book but I was thinking of The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton. which, looking at the titles, is an understandable mistake! (TJR's novel was published first.)

Anyway, once I started reading the right Evelyn, my only question was: what is Taylor Jenkins Reid's strange power? Her characters are usually beautiful, glamorous and rich and the reader is supposed to dislike or at least mistrust them for their privileged lives but I loved the titular character! The plot is pure Netflix fodder - guess what's in the pipeline? - yet I was completely addicted. I spent the whole weekend with the book glued to my hands.

Evelyn, whose life story reads like a blend of Rita Hayworth and Elizabeth Taylor, needs a true icon to play her onscreen, if that's possible. I love reading about women who are comfortable with both the good and bad of who they are and turn that confidence into charisma. And bonus points for the cameo appearance from Mick Riva, the dead end dad in Malibu Rising.

I had one or two problems with the story (as always!) The message about trying to fit people into convenient boxes, whether over race, gender or sexuality, was a little heavy-handed but it's a topical issue and will definitely appeal to a specific (Netflix/Tumblr) demographic. And I didn't believe in the set up or big reveal of the twist in the tale at all - very soapy - but only the last couple of chapters were given over to this unlikely development. Until that point, I was captivated and will definitely be interested in the casting of the adaptation! ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Nov 7, 2022 |
(47) I read this book because I mistakenly told some friends I already had - Turns out I confused it with 'The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle' and felt the need to rectify my mistake. Ooops! I enjoyed Hardcastle's deaths much more than Hugo's husbands truth be told. This was 'chick lit.' Easily consumed; derivative (of the life of Marilyn Monroe which I had just read through JCO's literary 'Blonde) and the characters were two-dimensional and unbelievable. No heartfelt emotion generated. The best part of the story is the writer Monique in the frame who is plucked from obscurity to write the famous actresses memoirs. A connection is implied between Monique and Evelyn and this turns out to be the most interesting part of the story.

Evelyn leaves home and an abusive father at age 14 to make it as a Hollywood starlet. She does so with her looks and by sleeping with the right people, making headlines, manipulating the media (even has a husband who hits her.) I have a feeling the author may have just read 'Blonde' before she wrote this just as I read it before I read this... Evelyn has a secret though, which was written so cliche that it failed to generate any real emotion in me.

3 stars for an easy, moderately entertaining read - good for an airplane or the beach. But this does not rise above genre women's fiction with minimal to no literary merit. Bland, forgettable. ( )
  jhowell | Nov 5, 2022 |

Reid, Taylor Jenkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cuervo, AlmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miles, RobinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lilah Smash the patriarchy, sweetheart
Film legend and '60s It girl Evelyn Hugo has just announced that she will auction off 12 other most memorable gowns through Christie's to raise money for breast cancer research.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,943,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible