For We Are Many by Dennis E. Taylor

For We Are Many

by Dennis E. Taylor

Series: Bobiverse (book 2)

This entry in the three-book series is less of a romp than the first because, of course, because the territory is no longer new or fresh; but it's still a hoot and a holler. I had such a great time going back to the Bobiverse! These books are a pleasure to me because their humor resonates with me:
At times like this, I wondered if I hadn’t gone a little overboard with the level of detail in my virtual-reality environment. There was no reason for me to even have nether regions, let alone for them to pucker.
And that should tell you what you need to know about the suitability of the series to your reading needs. If that neither makes you laugh nor gives you a sense of the subject of the books, best you pass them by.

This installment brings us past the previously known Bobiverse...the bubble of space that Bob's previously created new selves have gone off to explore...and into contact with more new species. There are new threats, new ways of getting the heck rid of old threats, and plenty of the old threats come around again:
I sincerely hoped that in the fullness of time, they’d have the opportunity to get all bent out of shape about environmentalism.
Seems that "intelligence" is a menace...and maybe VEHEMENT had a point. (Bobiversals will get that.) But there's nothing like a replicant on a mission to make the Universe safe for sentient life. The Bobs come through this book without a hint of middle-book-itis. The action doesn't slack. The stakes don't falter. The pace of the book doesn't dilly-dally and the Bobs, bless 'em, don't shilly-shally as they tackle problems on a greater-than-human timescale. I can't spoiler stuff since the Anti-spoiler Activists get so stroppy about it. But I can say that there's no good reason for someone who liked the first book not to get the second ASAP and there's no reason for someone who didn't like the first book to even consider this one.

As for me, I'm on to book three and might even have bumped this one up a rating point had it not been for the clear affection and acceptance herein shamelessly flaunted for a lifeform utterly unworthy of it:
The cat’s A.I. was realistic, right down to the total lack of loyalty. ( )
  richardderus | Mar 6, 2018 |
It ended too soon. I could keep reading this book for days.... weeks. ( )
  josh513 | Feb 3, 2018 |
Love Bob! ( )
  blueraven57 | Nov 25, 2017 |
If you loved the first one, you'll enjoy the second. Ray Porter does an excellent job again of narrating. How he does so many voices is beyond me!! I thought it dragged a wee bit in the middle, but then picked right back up again. The Bobs multiply; exploration expands; new species are discovered; an enemy lurks; one Bob falls in love with a Human (nicknamed the Ephremerals by some of the Bobs). Humorous space adventure at its best. : ) ( )
  Berly | Aug 28, 2017 |
This just didn't do it for me.

I think the main problem was that Bob Johansson has gotten a little too unbelievable. Even if we posit that Bob, the software engineer, is a genius...and even if we posit that, since his consciousness is now running on a computer, he "thinks" at incredible speeds...and even if we posit that he has a library with most of humanity's science in it available to him......well, it doesn't pass the gut check that he does all the things he does. "Hmmm, I want to communicate across interstellar distances, so I'll just put on my Einstein hat and re-invent physics." "Hmmm, I want to appear human so, after inventing humanoid robots, I'll then casually invent artificial skin." "Hmmm, I want to win all my battles so I'll just be more a military guy than the actual military guy (chosen because he was the best) who also thinks as fast as I do." Et cetera. Basically, he appears to be a genius in every field of science as well as a few other disciplines.

Books of the Problem Solving genre can be fun but they are more fun when they are grounded in some reasonable proximity to reality, such as The Martian. When they just have the character invent his way out of every problem, they wear out quickly. And for me, this series wore out after the first volume. The humor can only go so far and even it was starting to sound forced.

As an aside, do we really think that alien predators whose ambition is to, literally, consume every bit of Earth's bio matter before stripping all its minerals, and who have the ability to do so, would spend their time talking trash with an AI? It seemed a silly thing in a book that wasn't aiming for silly. ( )
  TadAD | Jun 25, 2017 |

Dennis E. Taylorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Porter, RayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Bob Johansson didn't believe in an afterlife, so waking up after being killed in a car accident was a shock. To add to the surprise, he is now a sentient computer and the controlling intelligence for a Von Neumann probe. Bob and his copies have been spreading out from the Earth for 40 years now, looking for habitable planets. But that's the only part of the plan that's still in one piece. A system-wide war has killed off 99.9% of the human race, nuclear winter is slowly making the Earth uninhabitable, a radical group wants to finish the job on the remnants of humanity, the Brazilian space probes are still out there, still trying to blow up the competition, and the Bobs have discovered a spacefaring species that sees all other life as food."--Publisher's description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,964,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible