Born in Fire by K.F. Breene

What a fun story! I really enjoyed this urban fantasy. Reagan is my kind of bounty hunter – efficient with weapons and full of sass. I so enjoyed all her quips and how that affected those around her. Through a series of work technicalities, she gets stuck working with a powerful and handsome vampire Darius. They are hunting down some strange magics.

Now this isn’t your typical vampire tale. While there is a hint of flirtation that could develop into romance, there are no sex scenes in this story. It’s all about solving the mystery and if a few instances of dry humping occur, that’s just one of the hazards of dealing with magic. While Darius is all for entering into a formal bond with Reagan, she’s an independent sort and not interested.

Reagan has her secrets and apparently some old family friends (Callie and Dizzy) know some of those secrets plus a few more. Reagan’s magic isn’t like any other magic she knows and she goes to good lengths to conceal that. I can see how Callie could become a surrogate mother to Reagan as the series moves forward.

There’s plenty of humor in this story and I applaud the use of sarcasm and pointing out the obvious. Her mouth lands her in trouble a few times but she has the muscle and magic to handle it. Sword, gun, and magic all get equal time in the fights.

When I finished this book, I was quite ready to jump into the next. Looking forward to the rest of the series. 5/5 stars.

The Narration: Nicole Poole was a perfect fit for this book. Her voice for Reagan is spot on and she makes a sexy Darius as well. I love her harsh voices for Reagan’s neighbors, Callie’s commanding shout, Dizzy’s old man apologetic voice, and the mechanical modified voice of the Big Baddie. I felt that Poole had a lot of fun with this story; her enthusiasm shows in the performance. 5/5 stars. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Oct 30, 2018 |
Such a fun book!

I had a great time reading it and it ended too soon. I think I'll read it again right now! ( )
  Omegawega | Mar 31, 2018 |
5 holy tater tit stars!~

I LOVED THIS! Seriously, Miss Breene herself claims it is not a romance, however happily I would like to disagree! We can agree to disagree! The tension between Reagan and Darius makes me downright smitten!

Reagan is hilarious! Her internal dialogue had me grinning ear to ear throughout the entire book! The fact that she is a bad ass heroin who can pretty much take care of herself (and others in the male variety) has giddy! Bravo! On to book 2~ ( )
  Meagantull | Jul 11, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,712,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible