The Elusive Miss Ellison by Carolyn Miller

This was a sweet romance that reminded me of Jane Austen's novels. I hope to read more of this series in the future. ( )
  eliorajoy | Nov 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Okay, so this came to my door and I was surprised. Where did it come from? Turns out I had accidentally requested this from Library thing. Oops!

So my curiosity got the best of me and I read the mysterious book. The Elusive Miss Ellison was a pretty cute read with a sweet romance. It's definitely a Christian book, but it wasn't too heavy handed, thank goodness.

While the book isn't something I would read for fun personally, I'm sure there are lots of folks out there who would love it. Lavinia and Nicholas kind of have a Darcy-Elizabeth complex between them at first. Also, the book didn't just focus on the two love interests. The reader gets to know all of Lavinia's community. Good themes and values are spread throughout the book.

Was it for me? No. But I'm being fair in my review because I somehow accidentally requested it. I know I'm not (at all) the target audience for this novel. And I think Miller did an excellent job writing a sweet, funny, and thoughtful Christian fiction romance. I'll give credit where it's due. And if you're a fan of Christian romance, pick this up! You won't be disappointed.

*recieved for free from library thing (thank you!)* ( )
  Emily_Anne | Sep 25, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This started out pretty slowly for me, and I didn't care for either Nicholas or Lavinia. However, both of them made remarkable growth and became people I could respect and admire. I ended up liking this book a lot! ( )
  emmyson | Jul 5, 2017 |
The Elusive Miss Ellison by Carolyn Miller
This book starts out with Lavinia and she lives with her father the pastor and her aunt Patience.
Story also follows the Earl Nicholas who has come to their town. He's making sure the one in charge is keeping the town buildings up to date and everything is in order.
Lavinia has a sharp tongue and is not like the other young females who take a fancy to Nicholas. She even points out his lack of concern in keeping the buildings up to date.
She has a lot of talents and enjoys some of them. He's smitten with her and she finds herself liking him but always with a bitter tongue.
Sermons in church and ones they all share in. During meals they are able to learn more about Nick's battle background and he learns of Lavinia's teachings during mass to the children, teaching them letters and numbers along with the teachings of God.
Misunderstandings, illness, emergencies and disappearances, twists and turns til they realize what is important to each other. So many mysteries! Love all the travel and descriptions!
Quotes from the Bible help them lean on each other and God for guidance. Other works by the author are highlighted at the end.
Free Kindle book ( )
  jbarr5 | Jun 1, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Lavinia has never found a suitor worthy of her attentions. They are either too full of their own arrogance, too silly, or too witless. Nicholas, Earl of Hawkesbury has spent years hiding from a tragic accident of his youth, attempting to find solace in running. However, now that he is the Earl, he can run from those mistakes, from St. Hampton Heath, from the Ellisons no longer. When Nicolas attempts to seek forgiveness for his past wrongs with the Reverend Ellison he meets and clashes wits with Lavinia, his daughter. Although the sparks fly between them, they are complete opposites and contemptuous of one another. Can each of them overcome their own pride and arrogance and begin to see one another for their virtues instead of their faults...and let the sparks begin to ignite?

This book is book one of the Regency Brides: A Legacy of Grace series. It was a fun love story that offered wit, humor, and drama. If you like historical Christian fiction you will enjoy The Elusive Miss Ellison. Thank you to LibraryThing and Kregel Publications for providing me with a free copy of this book to review! ( )
  chrirob | May 16, 2017 |

An Inspirational Regency novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 04 Mar 2017 11:20:54 -0500)

Handsome appearance counts for naught unless matched by good character and actions. That's the firm opinion of not-so-meek minister's daughter Lavinia Ellison. So even though all the other villagers of St. Hampton Heath are swooning over the newly returned seventh Earl of Hawkesbury, she is not impressed. If a man won't take his responsibilities seriously and help those who are supposed to be able to depend on him, he deserves no respect from her. In Lavinia's pretty, gray eyes, Nicholas Stamford is just as arrogant and reckless as his brother--who stole the most important person in Livvie's world.Nicholas is weighed down by his own guilt and responsibility, by the pain his careless brother caused, and by the legacy of war he's just left. This quick visit home to St. Hampton Heath will be just long enough to ease a small part of that burden. Asking him to bother with the lives of the villagers when there's already a bailiff on the job is simply too much to expect. That is, until the hoydenish, intelligent, and very opinionated Miss Ellison challenges him to see past his pain and pride. With her angelic voice in his head, he may even be beginning to care. But his isn't the only heart that needs to change.These two lonely hearts may each have something the other needs. But with society's opposition, ancestral obligations, and a shocking family secret, there may be too many obstacles in their way.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Carolyn Miller's book The Elusive Miss Ellison was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,074,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible