The Elusive Miss Ellison by Carolyn Miller

When a novel is garnering comparisons to those of Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer, it makes me take notice — sometimes the comparisons are justified, but sometimes they are not.
When it comes to Carolyn Miller’s “The Elusive Miss Ellison,” those comparisons are completely on point.
This novel set in the Regency era is a fun, refreshing read.
Lavinia is an outspoken, feisty heroine with a big heart when it comes to those in need.
The novel is well-plotted and its events unfold with pitch-perfect timing throughout.
The second book in the series is set to be released June 27 — and I can’t wait to read it.
Disclaimer: I was provided a free copy of this book. However, all opinions are my own. ( )
  kd_lawson | Dec 4, 2018 |
Download #2053
Search Google
ISBN-10: 0825444500
ISBN-13: 9780825444500
Kindle ASIN: B01NBTFSWC
Goodreads: 30851451
Misc: 1.1 MiB, epub

Pride, prejudice and forgiveness...
Hampton Hall's new owner has the villagers of St. Hampton Heath all aflutter--all except Lavinia Ellison. The reverend's daughter cares for those who are poor and sick, and the seventh Earl of Hawkesbury definitely does not meet that criteria. His refusal to take his responsibilities seriously, or even darken the door of the church, leave her convinced he is as arrogant and reckless as his brother--his brother who stole the most important person in Lavinia's world.
Nicholas Stamford is shadowed by guilt: his own, his brother's, the legacy of war. A perfunctory visit to this dreary part of Gloucestershire wasn't supposed to engage his heart, or his mind. Challenged by Miss Ellison's fascinating blend of Bluestocking opinions, hoydenish behavior, and angelic voice, he finds the impossible becoming possible--he begins to care. But Lavinia's aloof manner, society's opposition and his ancestral obligations prove most frustrating, until scandal forces them to get along.
Can Lavinia and Nicholas look beyond painful pasts and present prejudice to see their future? And what will happen when Lavinia learns a family secret that alters everything she's ever known? ( )
  ii | Oct 3, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This novel spins the tale of Nicholas, Lord Hawkesworth and Miss Lavinia Ellison.

Hawkesworth has recently come into the title, following Peninsular service in the Napoleonic wars, and the untimely death of his older brother. He is worried about his precarious financial status due to the free spending ways of his late brother and his mother, and discontented with London society life and his mother's attempts to marry him off to a "suitable" high-born and wealthy female. He retreats to a minor country estate to get away from all this and encounters Miss Ellison. The daughter of the local minister, she is devoted to the poor, kind-hearted, opinionated and somewhat quick to judge. The two are also linked by a tragic event from their childhoods.

Naturally, sparks fly, misunderstandings and revelations occur, the characters grow and all ends happily.

This is an enjoyable books, with solid writing. Enough secrets and drama to keep the reader engaged, but not so much that it becomes melodramatic. The characters are well defined, and engaging.

There is nothing unpredictable here. The story has been told many times of people held at first apart by "pride and prejudice" who gradually overcome their first impression and class differences. The spiritual content is well done in that the hero's questions and doubts regarding his faith flow naturally from his experiences. However, to me, the language and sentiments with which it is expressed as he deals with his own doubts, and discusses them with Lavinia's father, a friend from the war who is a believer, and with Lavinia herself seem more natural for a 21st century man than a 19th century Anglican. And the treatment is a bit superficial, though not terribly so for what is fundamentally a romance.

All in all, a pleasant story, well worth the reader's time, albeit not a future classic.

This book was provided to me free of charge by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  tealadytoo | Apr 21, 2018 |
This was a sweet romance that reminded me of Jane Austen's novels. I hope to read more of this series in the future. ( )
  eliorajoy | Nov 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Okay, so this came to my door and I was surprised. Where did it come from? Turns out I had accidentally requested this from Library thing. Oops!

So my curiosity got the best of me and I read the mysterious book. The Elusive Miss Ellison was a pretty cute read with a sweet romance. It's definitely a Christian book, but it wasn't too heavy handed, thank goodness.

While the book isn't something I would read for fun personally, I'm sure there are lots of folks out there who would love it. Lavinia and Nicholas kind of have a Darcy-Elizabeth complex between them at first. Also, the book didn't just focus on the two love interests. The reader gets to know all of Lavinia's community. Good themes and values are spread throughout the book.

Was it for me? No. But I'm being fair in my review because I somehow accidentally requested it. I know I'm not (at all) the target audience for this novel. And I think Miller did an excellent job writing a sweet, funny, and thoughtful Christian fiction romance. I'll give credit where it's due. And if you're a fan of Christian romance, pick this up! You won't be disappointed.

*recieved for free from library thing (thank you!)* ( )
  Emily_Anne | Sep 25, 2017 |

An Inspirational Regency novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 04 Mar 2017 11:20:54 -0500)

Handsome appearance counts for naught unless matched by good character and actions. That's the firm opinion of not-so-meek minister's daughter Lavinia Ellison. So even though all the other villagers of St. Hampton Heath are swooning over the newly returned seventh Earl of Hawkesbury, she is not impressed. If a man won't take his responsibilities seriously and help those who are supposed to be able to depend on him, he deserves no respect from her. In Lavinia's pretty, gray eyes, Nicholas Stamford is just as arrogant and reckless as his brother--who stole the most important person in Livvie's world.Nicholas is weighed down by his own guilt and responsibility, by the pain his careless brother caused, and by the legacy of war he's just left. This quick visit home to St. Hampton Heath will be just long enough to ease a small part of that burden. Asking him to bother with the lives of the villagers when there's already a bailiff on the job is simply too much to expect. That is, until the hoydenish, intelligent, and very opinionated Miss Ellison challenges him to see past his pain and pride. With her angelic voice in his head, he may even be beginning to care. But his isn't the only heart that needs to change.These two lonely hearts may each have something the other needs. But with society's opposition, ancestral obligations, and a shocking family secret, there may be too many obstacles in their way.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Carolyn Miller's book The Elusive Miss Ellison was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,916,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible