Jane, Unlimited by Kristin Cashore

Jane, Unlimited (2017)

by Kristin Cashore

"Recently orphaned Jane accepts an unexpected invitation from an old acquaintance to an island mansion where she will face five choices that could ultimately determine the course of her newly untethered life"--

really fun read!
  akbooks | Sep 12, 2019 |
Storytelling: kind of brilliant. I've never read anything like it. It loses a star for me on characterization. Jane's inner monologue never quite matched her actions for me, especially in the earlier chapters. I didn't get a handle on who she was. The book is akin in form to a Choose Your Own Adventure with a "you" protagonist, so maybe the vague characterization was intentional? Either way, the story structure is the star of this show. If you've read too many books and think nothing can surprise you anymore, you need to try this one. ( )
  SamMusher | Sep 7, 2019 |
I guess the author's idea was to give the reader a variety of genres in which to resolve the plot. It took me till the last one, the fantasy genre, to figure out what was going on. And then I wondered why she did this. It seemed unnecessary. ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Sep 1, 2019 |
The word that finally came to me to describe this five pronged story was kooky. It was an enjoyable read and a fun exercise for the author, missing the intensity of her earlier books. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Browsing through the other reviews, I think my experience was a little backward compared with how many other people experienced this book. I almost gave up on it during the first lengthy set-up chapter. I just didn't find Jane interesting, and I thought the setting was outlandish, given the realistic tone that the book was taking. I enjoyed the choose-your-own-adventure chapters much more, and I liked the later chapters (horror, sci-fi, and fantasy) more then the more grounded in reality heist and spy stories. The horror chapter in particular touched me, even more so because I wasn't expecting it. The first two endings lulled me into expecting things within my normal experience, so the sudden change in tone was quite effective. I never really grew fond of Jane, or cared much how she ended up, so I would say I enjoyed this more as a literary exercise rather then a cohesive story. ( )
  duchessjlh | Feb 25, 2019 |

Kristin Cashoreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Soler, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for all aunts,
especially mine
The house on the cliff looks like a ship disappearing into fog.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,858,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible