My Fair Lover

by Nicole Jordan

Beautiful matchmaker Lady Katharine Wilde promises to turn vexing American privateer Brandon Deverill into a proper English lord and find him a bride befitting his newly-inherited barony...but only if he will protect her from French pirates during her search for a buried family treasure. Story Locale-Regency England Series Overview-Determined to find true love, the fiery, passionate Wilde cousins vow to follow in the footsteps of the world's greatest lovers. Publication History-Mass Market Original… (more)

I've received an eARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Review in Portuguese: http://pepitamagica.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/livro-my-fair-lover-de-nicole-jordan....

It’s been a while since I read something from Nicole Jordan and I didn’t even remembered how much I liked her stories.

I liked that there was a bit of an inversion of roles. With so many books where the heroines go after the heroes to try and get them to fall in love with them, here we have our hero trying to convince the woman he chose to marry him. Yes, to marry him, not fall in love with him. Because he believes that he can’t feel such strong feelings after his time in the war. But as we read the book, we see their attraction and love grow, in a romantic and seductive way.

Brandon Deverill is, like most heroes, charming and sexy, but he realizes that he needs to be a romantic to marry Katherine Wilde, the family Wilde matchmaker.

Kate had a crush on Brandon and tried to stop him from going to war, but she failed. Now that he’s back, she tried to stay impartial and immune to his charms, but without success. But Kate doesn’t want a marriage of convenience, and she will only marry someone who is in love with her, just as much as she is in love with that man. And she believes that Brandon can never be that person, sadly.

With pirates, sea voyages, and lots of romance, as well as a family that gets together to help this union, this book was a breath of fresh air. ( )
  Joana_v_v | Aug 10, 2018 |
3.5 Stars
This historical romance is part of a series, but can be easily read as a stand-alone. This novel was the first I've read by the author and, although it was labeled as a retelling that didn't really really retell My Fair Lady, it was still a good romance. Both MCs are likeable and dynamic, I loved that the female character was a matchmaker. The story has two parts: one on land and the other at sea, which I enjoyed. I would have liked to see more similarities with the retelling, but overall a fun book. For historical romance fans.

Net Galley Feedback ( )
  LibStaff2 | Aug 29, 2017 |
Kate, an intelligent, witty and sarcastic heroine meets up with her one true love again when Deverill comes back to town to find a wife. The sparks fly and the adventure begins that takes them on a dangerous journey to find her parents' burial ground. The plot is intriguing and the romance is sweet and anticipatory- the full package in this saucy love story.

*I received an arc from the publisher through NetGalley for an honest review ( )
  KimMcReads | Jun 22, 2017 |
[I received a digital copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.]

Setting: London, May 1817

This is the fifth installment of the "Legendary Lovers" series, but the first I've read of any of these titles. The series name refers to a matchmaking theory the heroine of this story, Lady Katherine Wilde, has used through all the previous books in orchestrating love matches for her friends and family members, pulling from tales of mythology and pairing suitable couples accordingly.

She always thought her personal love match would stem from Pygmalion, the story of a sculptor who falls in love with his ivory statue and who leaves offerings to the goddess, Aphrodite, requesting a living likeness of his creation, Galatea, which was granted.

So far, Lady Katherine's matches have been successful, but she thinks the streak will be broken when it comes to herself, especially since she has already been spurned by the man she loves, Baron Valmere, Brandon Deverill, and she refuses to marry for any reason other than reciprocal love. She needs his assistance for a personal favor, however, so in exchange she offers to help Deverill, an American who has just inherited his title and needs guidance in navigating the tricky societal rules of the peerage and the London ton so he can present himself as a suitable bachelor in search of an ideal wife.

Kate has her work cut out for her as she teaches him how to be a proper gentleman, all while trying to resist her attraction to him and his sexual advances. Unbeknownst to her, he has already chosen her to be his bride and is trying to seduce her into agreeing to marry him without love--which he thinks he is incapable of--and she is trying to coax his emotional side out of him under the pretense of showing him how to win over his choice of a potential bride using romantic gestures.

They are both well suited in personality, chemistry, and adventurous spirit and are an exciting couple to watch fall in love. There are a lot of love scenes (an fyi to those who are put off by them), but they are important to the story and include as many emotional elements as physical attraction. The author writes these very well. I think it's a sign of a really good writer when not once are you taken out of the moment by awkward conversations or cringeworthy descriptions or euphemisms.

I really enjoyed this and will track down the other books in this series to get caught up with the rest of the characters. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | May 21, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,838,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible