Young Jane Young: A Novel by Gabrielle Zevin

Young Jane Young: A Novel (2017)

by Gabrielle Zevin

"Young Jane Young's heroine is Aviva Grossman, an ambitious Congressional intern in Florida who makes the life-changing mistake of having an affair with her boss who is beloved, admired, successful, and very married and blogging about it. When the affair comes to light, the Congressman doesn't take the fall, but Aviva does, and her life is over before it hardly begins. She becomes a late night talk show punchline; she is slut shamed, labeled as fat and ugly, and considered a blight on politics in general. How does one go on after this? In Aviva's case, she sees no way out but to change her name and move to a remote town in Maine. She tries to start over as a wedding planner, to be smarter about her life, and to raise her daughter to be strong and confident. But when, at the urging of others, she decides to run for public office herself, that long ago mistake trails her via the Internet like a scarlet A. For in our age, Google guarantees that the past is never, ever, truly past, that everything you've done will live on for everyone to know about for all eternity. And it's only a matter of time until Aviva's daughter, Ruby, finds out who her mother was, and is, and must decide whether she can still respect her. Following three generations of women, plus the wife of the Congressman, YOUNG JANE YOUNG is a sympathetic, smart, funny, and very moving novel about what it means to be a woman of any age. Told in varying voices and emails and even a Choose Your Own Adventure section, it captures not just the mood of our recent highly charged political season, but also the double standards alive and well in every aspect of life for women"--… (more)
    Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Similar sharp, witty style of writing

Pretty good story. I thought "The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry" was more interesting. ( )
  grandpahobo | Sep 26, 2019 |
Loved this hilarious yet serious novel. It has a great message for young women maturing in times like these. Highly recommended for substance, great characters and great fun. ( )
  erinclark | May 14, 2019 |
Thank you to the publisher and Edelweiss for the ARC. What a fun read! Read in a day, while I laughed out loud!
The main characters are witty and spunky, all the way down to the youngest who is in middle school. It was easy to connect with each character quickly also. This will be a great beach read! Haven't been disappointed by this author yet! Thanks Gabrielle Zevin! ( )
  SusanGeiss | Mar 24, 2019 |
I was too young to remember the Monica Lewinsky scandal, but this book was extremely powerful nonetheless. It highlights the double standards that happen for men and women caught in scandal, the eternal nature of the internet, and the practical challenges of picking your life back up from a terrible mistake. In many ways it read like a cautionary tale about the realities that face women, but at the same time it was clearly a call for societal change. Should we really crucify someone for the rest of their life because of a mistake they made when they were in their twenties? As a society, it's also crucial that we recognize that the things we say online - the shame we cast on an individual - has the power to derail a life. We must wield this power cautiously, carefully, and compassionately.

But beyond being thought provoking, this book was hilarious. The audiobook is particularly great - I was cracking up on my morning commute so many times throughout the book. The only thing I didn't like was the "choose your own adventure" section at the end. I actually checked out the physical book from my library before realizing that the other "options" were actually not options at all - they had strike-throughs (aka, you couldn't "choose any adventure" other than the choices Aviva actually made), but that was unclear in the audio version. When I finished the audiobook, I was left wondering if there were sections of the book I hadn't read until I got my hands on the physical book.

Overall though, I highly recommend this book. It was engaging, funny, thought-provoking, and timely. ( )
  melissa_faith | Mar 16, 2019 |
Read in one snowy day--a page-turner. Story is told from several women's point of view, which works well. ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Mar 3, 2019 |
My dear friend Roz Horowitz met her new husband online dating, and Roz is three years older and fifty pounds heavier than I am, and people have said that she is generally not as well preserved, and so I thought I would try it even though I avoid going online too much.
I find the term Jewish-American princess offensive, but if the tiara fits.
"You're so trim," she said.
"I work for it," I said. "Inside me, there is an angry fat woman."
"How do you fit her in there?"
The past is never past. Only idiots think that.
She was meant to have given up coffee, but what was the point of living without coffee? Living, it seemed to her, was the acquiring of bad habits.
The receptionist apologized. The doctor was running behind schedule. Behind schedule is the schedule, Embeth thought.

Gabrielle Zevin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,511,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible