12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos by…

12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos

by Jordan B. Peterson

Other authors: Ethan Van Sciver (Illustrator)

English (21)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (23)
I enjoyed this book immensely. It is more of a reminder of what I have already known and to actually put it in action. All of the 12 rules are basically to make life in order so we do not have to stress in the chaos. As Peterson is a clinical psychologist, he puts the logic of how beings are naturally and why people act in certain ways and how to put things back in order, or to avoid chaos. This book may seem grim because it puts everything in a realistic way, unlike other books that tends to make the world seems colourful. The way he interpret the bible and myths is superb and the way he explain human characters by using Disney characters is awesome. I don’t know if this is in the self-help category, it is more of a mixture of a reminder of what we already know and where we naturally slip and do the mistakes.

The way it was written is unique; sometimes it goes on a detour epxlaining something that you might wonder what does this have to do with the chapter’s title. But then you will learn something new and finally know why he had to do this; if you follow his lectures you will know that he like to talk! This book shows that Peterson knows what he is talking about and use the data to back up his opinion, but also there is a sense that what he thinks is also something that can be discussed further. Nonetheless, if you are a realistic person brave enough to accept that everyday is a struggle and the world is not heaven, this book is for you. Having read some of the books he read like Dostoevsky and Orwell’s it helps to understand why he sees the world the way he sees it (probably too dark for those who likes a more positive approach) but for me, it is very realistic, scientific and very helpful to make life easier and meaningful. Jordan Peterson is one of the best lecturer and thinker in this era. ( )
  parvita | Mar 20, 2019 |
It's good to see a "self-help" book with some meat to chew on. Jordan B Peterson is a controversial figure so you won't necessarily agree with everything he says in this book. But it will make you think which is what a good book should do. At the heart of the 12 rules is the belief that suffering is a part of life and we need to choose to face it or run in the opposite direction. Running in the opposite direction away from suffering is, according to Peterson, a denial of life itselft. So, obviously, Peterson believes we need to choose to face it. His 12 rules are intended to help us do that.
Don't be mislead by the seemingly simple nature of the rules such as Stand up straight with your shoulders back or Tell the truth – or, at least, don't lie. These are merely pithy ways of referring to some challenging ideas on the way to live our lives. This is a book to chew on and to think critically about -- and may provide you with some significant ideas on how to live in the chaos of the modern world. ( )
  spbooks | Mar 12, 2019 |
I didn't want to bother reading this one. Quick glance at the table of contents shows that it's a rehash of a lot of books that have already been written. I certainly expect from chapter 10, that he has credited the Native American groups who who have already Incorporated the concepts of be impeccable in your speech into their coda.
After reading the first three chapters, unfortunately I am in no different opinion of the book. May be of service to others, I hope. ( )
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
Peterson has the credentials to give the advice he is dispensing. Draws from his own life experiences, his clinical psychology patients, teaching in universities, and deep reading in the foundational literature of the world (not just the West).
However, the book is not a jargon-filled exposition of academic arrogance. Everything is clear and straight-forward, even if it will be unwelcome in some ideological niches.
If you want to have a more pleasurable and productive life, then take his advice. ( )
  librisissimo | Mar 3, 2019 |
I wish this book had been around when I was younger. Still, it's never too late to try to make things better, so I am grateful that it finally arrived. I've been a fan of Peterson for some time now, from hearing his lectures and interviews, and I find that he is one of the only public figures who is actually talking sense. I don't normally read self-help (if you want to call it that), but it's more the subtitle which appealed to me. With societal madness increasing every day, I wanted to hear a rational voice (and I prefer reading to watching videos.)

Most of the rules fall under "things that should be obvious yet you may not have consciously thought of." Make friends with people who want the best for you. Don't lie. Assume the person to whom you're listening might know something you don't. Treat yourself as someone you are responsible for helping (in which he examines how we tend to take better care of our pets (or other people) than ourselves, even though we need to be healthy in order to provide that care.) Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today. Pursue meaning in life; it's more important than happiness.

Common sense right? It's hard to imagine how anyone could disagree. Yet so often we forget and do the opposite of these things.

In reading this I also gained some appreciation for bible stories and verses, to which Peterson refers often, and which I've always written off as silly fairy tales designed to elicit ideological subservience (because let's face it, that's usually how they are utilized.) Peterson never implies that they are anything more than stories written by ancient peoples. But he analyzes them in a way that shows that while those people didn't understand anything about the world around them, they did understand a lot about human nature. I had to keep checking my atheistic reflexes so that I could see what he was really saying.

The world is a confusing place full of distractions and everyone needs something to help guide them. This book works for me. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
Jordan Peterson may be the only clinical psychologist who believes that psychology is subordinate to philosophy and the one thing that psychology and philosophy both genuflect before is story. Story, or myth, predates religion and is, in fact, as old as language itself.

In his earlier book, Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief, Peterson connects the stories we share with our earliest ancestors with modern knowledge of behavior and the mind. It’s a textbook for his popular University of Toronto courses.

The one-time dish washer and mill worker spent nearly 20 years at the University before garnering international attention. In September 2016, Peterson released a couple of videos opposing an amendment to the Canadian Human Rights Act which he contended could send someone to jail for refusing to use a made-up gender identity pronoun. Peterson went on to testify before the Canadian Senate, and has emerged as a foremost critic of postmodernism on North American campuses.

Postmodernism is the “new skin of communism,” In Peterson’s view. The ideology has been so thoroughly discredited from an economic standpoint that those who still advocate for it, for either political or emotional reasons, have resorted to attacking the very process in which something can be discredited—reason and debate. At the same time they have worked to change the face of oppression away from those living in poverty toward individuals who don’t look or act like those who hold most of the positions of power and authority in Western society.

Peterson’s classroom is now the entire globe. Millions are watching his lectures and other videos on YouTube. For this new and greater audience, a more accessible, more affordable compendium than Maps of Meaning was called for.

12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos is more affordable for sure, but only slightly more accessible. Part self-help book, part memoir, part Maps for the masses, it’s organized sprawlingly. Rule 2 (Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping), for example, opens with a discussion of biblical texts only addressing the lesson at hand at the very end.

Jordan B. Petersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Van Sciver, EthanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doidge, NormanPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If you are like most people, you don’t often think about lobsters

What does the nervous system of the lowly lobster have to tell us about standing up straight (with our shoulders back) and about success in life? Why did ancient Egyptians worship the capacity to pay careful attention as the highest of gods? What dreadful paths do people tread when they become resentful, arrogant and vengeful? Dr. Peterson journeys broadly, discussing discipline, freedom, adventure and responsibility, distilling the world's wisdom into 12 practical and profound rules for life. The 12 Rules for Life shatters the modern commonplaces of science, faith and human nature, while transforming and ennobling the mind and spirit of its readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 13 Apr 2017 22:14:53 -0400)

"What does everyone in the modern world need to know? Renowned psychologist Jordan B. Peterson's answer to this most difficult of questions uniquely combines the hard-won truths of ancient tradition with the stunning revelations of cutting-edge scientific research. Humorous, surprising and informative, Dr. Peterson tells us why skateboarding boys and girls must be left alone, what terrible fate awaits those who criticize too easily, and why you should always pet a cat when you meet one on the street. What does the nervous system of the lowly lobster have to tell us about standing up straight (with our shoulders back) and about success in life? Why did ancient Egyptians worship the capacity to pay careful attention as the highest of gods? What dreadful paths do people tread when they become resentful, arrogant and vengeful? Dr. Peterson journeys broadly, discussing discipline, freedom, adventure and responsibility, distilling the world's wisdom into 12 practical and profound rules for life. 12 Rules for Life shatters the modern commonplaces of science, faith and human nature, while transforming and ennobling the mind and spirit of its readers."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,430,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible