Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad) by Scott Reintgen

Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad)

by Scott Reintgen

14320118,471 (4.07)1

I overall enjoyed this - but the random romance added in made me giggle - it was so cheesy. I liked the general plot and concept, but found the writing kind of bland. I really like Kaya, and Bilal - I did enjoy that we got to see character depth for all the side characters and not just Emmett. It was a great addition to the story and I liked how it was worked.

Overall, this was good, but I'm not likely to reach for the sequel that soon. ( )
  jdifelice | Jul 20, 2018 |
“You get in there and fight, Emmett. Be worthy. Not in their eyes, but in yours. Break the rules if you need to, but never forget who you are and where you come from. When they knock you down, and they will, don’t you quit on me.”
I think this is now my favorite SciFi books. Bold statement, I know, but I just really loved it (even more than Illuminae). [b:Nyxia|27426044|Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)|Scott Reintgen|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1485432778s/27426044.jpg|47477446] follows 10 teens from around the globe as they are chosen by the Babel Corporation to compete for a chance at adventure, money, fame, and glory while mining the super material Nyxia, from a planet Babel has kept hidden for decades. Nyxia is a story of action, adventure, mystery, and discovering who you are as a person and how far you’re willing to go to get what you want.

Things I Liked:
This is probably the most diverse SciFi book I’ve ever read. Our main character Emmett Atwater is a black teen from Detriot. A BLACK MALE TEEN IS THE LEAD OF A SCIFI NOVEL! We have characters from Japan, Palestine, Brazil, Switzerland, Kenya, all across the globe. Even Marcus Dufoe, the CEO/leader of their competition is a black man.

Emmett is such a fantastic character. Coming from a poor family, he is determined to make it to Eden and secure his family's future, while struggling with losing himself in the competition. Emmett feels the weight of history on his shoulders and recognizes freedom and choice are not provided to everyone, and he works damn hard to get what he wants. He is such a strong character and has a great POV that is really easy to connect to.

The sense of family in the book was the absolute greatest. Emmett’s dad is the best fictional dad I have ever seen in my life. He radiates care and love and affection. He is who all dads should aspire to be. The competitors also develop this great little found family aboard the ship. They spend time together and develop their own slang. They just really become a close-knit group, which makes the competition more intense!

I loved all of the training and competitions in the story. The action starts up pretty immediately, and never really lets up. The challenges are cyclical, but the story never feels repetitive.

Things I Didn’t Like:
I was indifferent or annoyed at all of the budding romances in the story. I felt like we didn’t get to see enough of the characters interact to make me believe in their relationships.

I truly loved this story, and it made me want to read more SciFi. I loved seeing Babel and finding out more of their secrets and seeing our characters rise to the occasion and fighting for not only themselves, but their families. The world is incredible vibrant and full of an amazing cast of characters. Nyxia was gripping and engaging and promises and stunning sequel.

I received a copy of the book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  LifeofaLiteraryNerd | Apr 27, 2018 |
Young Adult set in space? Sign me up! Those were my thoughts when I requested this title from Netgalley. I ended up having a lot of fun with the story and read it during a long, sleepless night.

It's not groundbreaking, but it's exactly what it promises to be. It'll probably be sold as Hunger Games in space, which makes me want to roll my eyes, but I also have to admit, it is a bit like Hunger Games in space.

Ten teenagers are on board this spaceship on its way to a planet called Eden. They're being trained to mine a new element called Nyxia... but only eight out of the ten will be allowed to do so. Let the competition begin!

This book has a great and varied ensemble. For the average reader the beginning might be a bit overwhelming, since ten teenagers are introduced. It took me a while before I was able to keep them straight, but Reintgen made sure to give each one an individual voice. They're all well developed, and by the end I felt like I knew them all.

I recommend this to fans of Young Adult (who don't mind books aimed at the younger end of the YA audience) and Science Fiction novels, who are looking for something like the Hunger Games, Ender's Game or The 100. ( )
  Vinjii | Mar 29, 2018 |
Loved it-10* Fave! Can't wait for sequel! ( )
  EmpressReece | Mar 9, 2018 |
I went into this one expecting a LOT! What I got almost disappointed...almost. There were some lagging moments here and there but the world building made up for any down time, it was awesome! The environment and challenges were undeniably unique, well crafted and brilliantly traversed. The characters were fleshed out nicely and most were either extremely likable or unbelievably detestable. The MC was relatable, fallible and what will most likely be tested repeatedly, humane. What will the group ultimately face? How will they handle it? Who will survive and what alliances will be forged? Enemies made? What are the Adamites really like? What is the evil Babel corporation really up to? These questions and more are hopefully explored in more detail in book #2 and what a torturous wait it will be until then. ( )
  BethYacoub | Mar 6, 2018 |

Emmett accepts an interstellar space contract but learns en route that to win the promised fortune he and nine other recruits face a brutal competition, putting their very humanity at risk.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,999,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible