Sad Cypress (1940)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot (21)

An elderly stroke victim dies without having arranged a will... Beautiful young Elinor Carlisle stood serenely in the dock, accused of the murder of Mary Gerrard, her rival in love. The evidence was damning: only Elinor had the motive, the opportunity and the means to administer the fatal poison. Yet, inside the hostile courtroom, only one man still presumed Elinor was innocent until proven guilty: Hercule Poirot was all that stood between Elinor and the gallows...… (more)

English (57)  Spanish (4)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (64)
A return to Agatha Christie, that is always a delight. The title of the book emerges from Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night. Two deaths enter into Hercule Poirot’s investigating. An rich, elderly lady dies and no thought of murder enters the picture. But a second death which involves a young woman and foul play creeps into the picture. The young niece of Mrs. Welman, Elinor Carlisle, falls under the suspicion of murder. And frankly, Elinor appears to gain from the two deaths. Elinor narrates the first and last part of the novel, while Poirot plods through his narrative to Dr. Lord. The presentation of the story provides intrigue and vivid characters. From the first page, Elinor becomes my favorite character and I hope she will not fall prey to being chosen as the killer. ( )
  delphimo | Aug 23, 2022 |
A young woman is on trial for murder. She feels guilty, but is not. Poirot, urged by local doctor, discovers the evidence of her innocence and the real culprit.
  ritaer | Mar 26, 2022 |
I got cocky and too sure of my first guess. The finale was perfect. Perfectly surprising that is. :) ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
Elinor Carlisle is on trial for the murder of Mary Gerrard. There doesn't seem to be anybody else with a motive or who could have done it. But the local doctor asks Poirot for help proving her innocence.

I must admit I fell for the red herring and thought I'd done well to guess who it was early on. But of course I was wrong and Poirot's little grey cells were more than a match for mine. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Mar 23, 2021 |
This is my second Agatha Christie novel, but my first one featuring Poirot. My first one was with Miss Marple and I found it an ok mystery with nice cozy elements to it. But this one was surprisingly good as I was expecting more or less the same.

The characters here had more personality and more depth to them, the plot itself was much more involved and definitely had more tension. I enjoyed the courtroom scenes especially (haha you can definitely picture the audience with audible gasps during these scenes)

My guess was completely wrong in this mystery, but the little twist and how it all came together was well thought out. You didn't really know what Poirot was thinking as he was putting the pieces together and you can feel just as exasperated as the characters felt when Poirot tries to explain his methods of thinking (he likes to draw out his conclusions)

My next Christie book for the ReadChristie2021 challenge will feature Poirot again, so I hope I will enjoy it as much as this one! ( )
  sensitivemuse | Feb 25, 2021 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brinchmann, JacobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laine, Anna-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suchet, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Come away, come away, death,
And in sad cypress let me be laid;
Fly away, fly away, breath;
I am slain by a fair cruel maid.
My shroud of white, stuck all with yew,
O prepare it!
My part of death, no one so true
Did share it.

—Shakespeare
To Peter and Peggy McLeod
"Elinor Katharine Carlisle."

Open-and-shut case
Guilty till proved innocent
Poirot asks questions
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,306,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible