Hello Stranger

by Lisa Kleypas

Series: The Ravenels (4)

New York Times bestselling author Lisa Kleypas delivers a scintillating tale of an unconventional beauty who finds passion with the spy who can't resist her   A woman who defies her time Dr. Garrett Gibson, the only female physician in England, is as daring and independent as any man--why not take her pleasures like one? Yet she has never been tempted to embark on an affair, until now. Ethan Ransom, a former detective for Scotland Yard, is as gallant as he is secretive, a rumored assassin whose true loyalties are a mystery. For one exhilarating night, they give in to their potent attraction before becoming strangers again.   A man who breaks every rule   As a Ravenel by-blow spurned by his father, Ethan has little interest in polite society, yet he is captivated by the bold and beautiful Garrett. Despite their vow to resist each other after that sublime night, she is soon drawn into his most dangerous assignment yet. When the mission goes wrong, it will take all of Garrett's skill and courage to save him. As they face the menace of a treacherous government plot, Ethan is willing to take any risk for the love of the most extraordinary woman he's ever known.… (more)

Hello Stranger - Kleypas
Audio performance by M.J.Wells
4 stars

This is my favorite of this series. The admirable, independent, Dr. Garrett Gibson combines her unlikely professional life with romance. The mysterious and seductive Ethan Ransom has the unlikely ability to appreciate her intelligence as well as her sex appeal. I enjoyed the connection to the Ravenels, the life saving emergency surgery, and the triumph of good over evil. ( )
  msjudy | Sep 21, 2020 |
There's a reason we adore authors like [a:KJ Charles|18773218|KJ Charles|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-632230dc9882b4352d753eedf9396530.png], [a:Courtney Milan|2906892|Courtney Milan|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1245255772p2/2906892.jpg], and [a:Cecilia Grant|4996526|Cecilia Grant|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1311173143p2/4996526.jpg].

("Why is she starting off a Lisa Kleypas review with this," you're asking. I'll be telling you)

At least I know why I love them. Aside from creating characters that speak to me, they deftly create characters that exist within their times. By this I mean, of course, the woman who sees no other way around but faking a pregnancy to protect herself and others (the overly practical Martha). The men who have to hide their attraction for the same sex for fear of losing everything and more. It's always always there-that danger--and if they are radicals, that's dangerous too. The scientist so genius that even her dearest friends don't know who she really is. The newspaper editor and suffragette whose life is regularly threatened and safety is never guaranteed.

I think Lisa Kleypas is capable of making heroines, while perhaps not remarkable like Milan's heroines or Charles's heroes--maybe a little odd--exist within the context of their time. I will point to Wallflowers, as I did in a previous discussion. I didn't love all of them, but they all made sense.

Garrett doesn't. The first female physician and she's not threatened. It's a complete cop-out. Every man that crosses her path will eventually be convinced if he's not a criminal. They want to rape her b/c she's a pretty piece. She did do a lot of doctoring. And this would've made sense in a Tessa Dare novel, but this heroine was so ahead of her time without suffering any of the side effects, other than gentle mockery and doubt from time to time--it was almost as if she were a woman physician today and not the only one in her country at the time.

I'll set this aside. I think in light of this, the choices were odd. Her life didn't create the danger, Ethan's did. I think it could've been interesting, but her life and bravery were somewhat diminished in the safe harbor of Winterborne's. I liked that she seemed a fairly consistent character...but she didn't make me feel, and a woman out of her time, out of her 'place' should make me ache. This heroine-centric reader just can't rate this over a 2.75 as a result.

And wouldn't you know, she didn't even consider sex until she ran across him again. Yes, he was dark and dangerous. And smooth talking, some great lines. But he felt so oddly one-dimensional. It could've been so great, but I literally forgot that I had not finished it when woke up this morning. *Gives you a hard stare* I feel like I am talking myself into a '2' given that but some of those lines.

West made the entire ending, which just felt silly. And I really miss a layered slow developing romance...

I think I need to go reread A Devil in Winter. I deserve it. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
I'm thrilled to be reading the next installment of The Ravenels! Who is the new historical romance series by the amazing Lisa Kleypas, in fact, I just "might" have made a whole Instagram story of me getting it out of the package.... Yep! Totally fangirling.

In Hello Stranger we finally get to find out where Ethan Ransom fits in with the Ravenels, and why he seems to avoid them as much as he can. But we also get to spend more time with Dr. Garrett Gibson! Not only as the only women physician in England, but we get to see her awareness of Ethan!

But no true love runs smoothly, especially when an assassin is out to get Ethan, and those he thought were allies, were the ones plotting his death! But then push come to shove, will Garrett be able to save him?

I have never made it a secret that I absolutely love Lisa Kleypas, her writing is what made me fall in love with Historical Romance in the first place, and for me, Hello Stranger gives me that same excited vibe. I really enjoyed the characters, and plot, the only draw back for me was the cover, and while I'm not a big fan of it, the actual story is marvelous! So in this for instance, DO NOT judge a book by its cover.

I give Hello Stranger 5 stars! ( )
  Cara_Ross | Dec 2, 2018 |
The 4th volume in the Ravenel series focuses on Dr. Garrett Gibson who works for Rhys Winterbourne. Ethan Ransom, the illegitimate son of Edmund Ravenel, finds himself drawn to Gibson's beauty and strength; however, his role as a domestic spy makes him a danger to himself and anyone close to him, so he tries to keep his distance. Yet, neither can deny their connection.
  4leschats | Oct 22, 2018 |

Hello Stranger finally gives us the story of Dr. Garrett Gibson, the only female doctor in England, and Ethan Ransom, a former officer with Scotland Yard whose current employ is...questionable! Both these characters have been on the fringe of the previous books and I have been so curious about both of them. I love that Garrett is a trailblazer. All the heroines in this series have been strong women in unique ways. I love that about Kleypas' writing.
"As a physician, I can assure you there's nothing humorous about involuntary erections."
Garrett is also still a woman. She begins to have feelings for Ethan and isn't sure what to do with them. However, in typically Garrett fashion, she pushes for what she wants and is direct in her communication. I appreciated that she didn't play the 'ton game. Both her and Ethan are unconventional and it was perfect! Their banter is not the flirtatious type, but witty and direct. They both appreciate the uniqueness of the other and accept them for who they are. After Ethan accuses Garrett of not having a romantic bone in her body, she responds with:
"I reassembled an entire disarticulated skeleton in medical school. There is no such thing as a romantic bone."
She obviously didn't misunderstand him. She is smart and witty and turned the comment back on him in a way that is so Garrett! One might see this as her not understanding non-literal language but that isn't the case at all. I love that she uses this type of language play as humor. Kleypas really shows the intelligence of her characters with little quips like this.

There is a bit of danger in what Ethan is involved in, which added a level of suspense to the story. He is trying to be a double agent, but no one seems to want him to survive! He wars with falling for Garrett, but also knowing that his life is too dangerous for her to be exposed to.

I enjoyed seeing more of West as well! I cannot wait for his story (and Cassandra's!) because he was humorous and charming through Hello Stranger.

Garrett and Ethan were as wonderful as I expected and Hello Stranger was as delightful and endearing as I hoped (and knew) it would be! Kleypas is the queen of historical romance and this book only further solidifies her reign! If you like smart, yet quirky heroines and passionate, principled heroes, Hello Stranger will be one of your favorite reads of 2018!
"Among other things, I'm afraid of cows"
"Because of their size?" Helen asked sympathetically.
"No, its the way they stare. As if they're plotting something"

• POV: 3rd

• Tears: no

• Trope: regency

• Triggers: none

• Series/Standalone: stand alone within an interconnected series

• Cliffhanger: no

• HEA: yes, but no epilogue. I kind of expected this since you get little peeks at the previous couples in forthcoming books

The Rogue Not Taken by Sarah MacLean, The Highland Guardian by Amy Jarecki, The Scot Beds His Wife by Kerrigan Bryne, Lord of Lies by Amy Sandas...then you will probably like Hello Stranger!

Hello Stranger

See full review on The Book Disciple ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |

Lisa Kleypasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wells, Mary JaneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

A woman who defies her time

Dr. Garrett Gibson, the only female physician in England, is as daring and independent as any man—why not take her pleasures like one? Yet she has never been tempted to embark on an affair, until now. Ethan Ransom, a former detective for Scotland Yard, is as gallant as he is secretive, a rumored assassin whose true loyalties are a mystery. For one exhilarating night, they give in to their potent attraction before becoming strangers again.

A man who breaks every rule

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,825,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible