The Travelling Cat Chronicles (2015)

by Hiro Arikawa

"A life-affirming anthem to kindness and self-sacrifice, The Travelling Cat Chronicles shows how the smallest things can provide the greatest joy. We take journeys to explore exotic new places and to return to the comforts of home, to visit old acquaintances and to make new friends. But the most important journey is the one that shows us how to follow our hearts... An instant international bestseller, The Travelling Cat Chronicles has charmed readers around the world. With simple yet descriptive prose, this novel gives voice to Nana the cat and his owner, Satoru, as they take to the road on a journey with no other purpose than to visit three of Satoru's longtime friends. Or so Nana is led to believe... With his crooked tail--a sign of good fortune--and adventurous spirit, Nana is the perfect companion for the man who took him in as a stray. And as they travel in a silver van across Japan, with its ever-changing scenery and seasons, they will learn the true meaning of courage and gratitude, of loyalty and love"--… (more)
Recently added byArina42, Littlehome, sajith, Suzanne289, AriThomas, private library, gaetane, Yuki-Onna

English (51)  Dutch (1)  All languages (52)
I started it, but just didn't like the voice and wasn't compelled enough by the story to trudge through. ( )
  MrsHammyMax | Mar 12, 2021 |
This is an absolutely beautiful story. The feel of this story made me think of the movie adaptation of the book 『かもめ食堂』 ("Kamome Shokudo") by Yoko Mure. The book isn't driven by a plot so much as by following Satoru and Nana and watching their interactions with each other and others. And how those interacts affect the different characters. For me, this is a truly wonderful type of story and I treasure.

The only point of the story that I would pick at is that the main human character Satoru seemed too perfect. There was never really a flaw revealed about him. Though all the other characters had flaws and good points to balance them out. However, I still found Satoru to be a really likable character. Admittedly, though, I am a cat lover myself so I am biased to like someone who so deeply cares for his cat.

Concerning the translation, it felt very natural in English, and I did appreciate that names were not translated. In addition, Gabriel very fluidly included the meaning of names, other Japanese words, or even a few word explanation of something that would be common knowledge in Japan. But, there were also aspects of the characters actions that he just let be - not over explaining or assuming the reader couldn't figure out what was happening. ( )
  Sara_Cat | Mar 7, 2021 |
I love cats but I don't think you need to be a cat lover to really enjoy this novel, although it had me weeping by the end. The travelling cat is a stray that Satoru shows kindness to and helps when the cat is injured. He calls the cat Nana which means seven in Japanese, because the shape of his tale. Nana is a funny and lovable character and we read about the world from Nana's point of view. They set off on a journey and it becomes clear that Satoru needs to give his beloved cat away. He visits three friends who are all willing to take Nana but he doesn't tell any of them why he has to part with Nana. Along the way we hear Satoru's story and the stories of his friends. Nana listens to the humans and takes action himself to manipulate situations. The novel is really about love and friendships, gives an insight into Japanese society and what is considered good manners and is a moving tale. It is an easy read and you might consider it twee but has plenty of thoughtful moments and it will stay with me. ( )
1 vote CarolKub | Mar 5, 2021 |
Pretty lighthearted pet-centric novel about a guy who adopts a stray cat. The two live happily for years but then it turns out he must give the cat away, so he and the cat go on a road trip to meet some old friends and try to get someone to take care of the cat.

The novel is part third-person narration, part first-person by the cat himself. I have to say the cat-narrated parts didn’t work very well for me. It gives an interesting perspective on how his owner relates to the world, but the fact that the cat is super perceptive and smart took me out of the story quite a few times. My Neighbor Totoro is mentioned at some point in the novel, and it made me wonder if going full Miyazaki wouldn’t have worked better.

I think I’d also prefer something less lighthearted. The novel covers on some of my favorite themes–loss, friendship, loneliness–, but it touches them very lightly. Still, it’s a pretty fun read and occasionally very emotional. I also got a real sense of character from all the different people and places they visit, which is impressive for a relatively short book.
  fegolac | Dec 26, 2020 |
Warm yet bittersweet story told by a cat and the people he meets. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Dec 3, 2020 |

Hiro Arikawaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Couronne, Jean-Louis de LaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gabriel, PhillipTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prologue
The Cat With No Name

I am a cat. As yet, I have no name. There's a famous cat in our country who once made this very statement.
The Husband Without A Wife

Long Time No See.
     So began the email.
At that moment, we were without doubt the greatest travellers in the world. And I was the world's greatest travelling cat.
On our last journey, let's see all kinds of amazing things. Let's spend our time taking in as many wonderful sights as we can.
I'm a wise cat. I know what to do in any and all situations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,013,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible