HomeGroupsTalkExplore

If Cats Disappeared from the World

by Genki Kawamura

This young man's days are numbered. Estranged from his family, living alone with only his cat Cabbage for company, he is unprepared for the doctor's diagnosis that he has only months to live. But before he can set about tackling his bucket list, the Devil appears with a special offer: in exchange for making one thing in the world disappear, he can have one extra day of life. And so begins a very bizarre week ...Because how do you decide what makes life worth living? How do you separate out what you can do without from what you hold dear? In dealing with the Devil our narrator will take himself - and his beloved cat - to the brink.If Cats Disappeared from the World is a beautifully moving tale of loss and reconciliation, of one man's journey to discover what really matters in modern life.… (more)

English (30)  Latvian (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (33)
Halfway through, and still no cats disappeared or any mention of it. This allegorical cheese fest is full of repetitive platitudes, repetitive cliches, repetitive quotes and characters I do not care about. The guy is overly self-conscious and not endearing. I wanted to blame it on the translation but I can't imagine what kind of huge miss the translation would have to be for me to dislike it this much. If you don't get to the title premise by the midway point and then have characters start quoting Arnold Schwarzenegger and Star Wars, I'm out. ( )
  ostbying | Jan 1, 2023 |
What a delightful little book!
The premise is a man (and his cat Cabbage) is diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer and is going to die in a day. The Devil, who names himself Aloha, shows up with a choice- every day, the man can have one more day, but something has to disappear from the world forever. The man agrees, but learns The Devil gets to pick the item each day. The man can use the item one last time, but then it is gone. Each day a new thing is picked.

The book, in its humorous little way, tackles the meaning of life, relationships, missed opportunities, and what it means to live. There is a funny thing that happens on day 3 which adds humor to a heavy book, but digs even deeper too. I kinda loved this book. It will definitely be a re-read.

It will take about an hour or so to get through. Apparently there is a movie too. ( )
  Nerdyrev1 | Nov 23, 2022 |
A beautiful and touching novel about loss and grief. ( )
  AndrewRPhillips | Sep 11, 2022 |
This book tells the story of the narrator during a week after he finds out he is close to death. The devil shows up and proposes a deal: for each thing that the protagonist makes disappear from the world, he gains one more day to live. The problem is that the devil has to agree with what is picked to disappear.

This is a reflection about life and what is most important and meaningful. I liked the second half of the book more because there was more cat in it and the main character wasn’t as self centered. At first he is of course very worried about going to die and only thinks about saving himself.

I found the mentions of “Doraemon” funny and so was the cat talking like a character in a historical drama. The main character, the writing and plot were alright.

Overall, I enjoyed this story. I’ve read similar ones before, but this is still a nice and short book to add to the list if you love cats, characters reflecting about life and family drama. ( )
  elderlingfae | Aug 11, 2022 |
  trondhusby | Aug 7, 2022 |

Kawamura, Genkiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Selland, EricTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

If cats disappeared from the world, how would the world change? And how would my life change?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 183,288,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible