Turtles All the Way Down

by John Green

4,8791991,848 (3.97)88
"Aza never intended to pursue the mystery of fugitive billionaire Russell Pickett, but there's a hundred-thousand-dollar reward at stake and her Best and Most Fearless Friend, Daisy, is eager to investigate. So together, they navigate the short distance and broad divides that separate them from Pickett's son Davis. Aza is trying. She is trying to be a good daughter, a good friend, a good student, and maybe even a good detective, while also living within the ever-tightening spiral of her own thoughts."--Page 4 of cover.… (more)
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (chwiggy)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (MarchingBandMan)
    MarchingBandMan: The other quasi-existentialist John Green book. Miles Halter deals with existentialism/nihilism in a different way than Aza Holmes, yet this earlier, rawer YA novel expounds on similar themes.
    Paper Towns by John Green (chwiggy)
    What to Say Next by Julie Buxbaum (Micheller7)
    Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum (Micheller7)

English (192)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (198)
firstly, i wanna say that i would never recommend this book to anyone.
when i was younger, i had a weird ocd type thing (basically i just had to touch everything the right amount? and if i couldnt, i had to? i dont know). ive grown out of it, but if ever i am reminded of it, it comes back. reading this book reminded me of it. a lot.
on to the actual book:
- i didnt like the fact that there was a plot? i know that sounds weird because i liked the plot but i wish it hadnt been there? like, i thought this was just a contemporary novel but nope! turns out theres a murder/missing persons mystery?
- i didnt like the Random Capitalisation. it pissed me off. idk how to explain it.
- daisy was either being my absolute bestie or a fucking bitch. like,,, girly? pick a side? she was so inconsiderate of aza and i just- UGH
- davis. i hated his name. its too similar to daisy. also his name is davis. he was good. i liked him. he reminded me of gansey.
- mychal. why the fuck is his name spelt like that?
anyway, long story short, i have no fucking clue how to rate this book. i only own it because i got it for free and went 'a hardback book by john green? how can i pass this up?'. i only read it bc i have what feels like and endless tbr, so im trying to read books i dont care about reading because otherwise ill never read them? idk.
that was not a long story shortened, but you get the point.
  chlsvnr | Jun 13, 2022 |
4.5 stars. It can be hard to read about someone's mental health battles, but I thought Aza's struggles were well written; they were too well written for my daughter who had to put it down due to the intensity. About half way through the book I couldn't put it down. Part mystery, part love story, lots of teenage angst, good stuff as always by John Green! ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
Not a realistic catalyst, but so many realistic relationships and characters. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Apr 18, 2022 |
I liked this much more than I thought I would. You can feel Aza's thought spirals and torment. Daisy's reaction was unduly harsh, I thought. Anyone who knows someone who struggles with any sort of mental illness but especially obsessive compulsive disorder should read this book. ( )
  Dairyqueen84 | Mar 15, 2022 |
I really enjoyed the characters in this one, and the way the author so deeply got us into the head of Aza and helped to illustrate the struggle she went through with her OCD and anxiety. The voice was exquisite, and I loved the sweet, flawed relationship between her and Davis.

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Man can do what he wills, but he cannot will what he wills. -Arthur Schopenhauer
To Henry and Alice
At the time I first realized I might be fictional, my weekdays were spent at a publicly funded institution on the north side of Indianapolis called White River High School, where I was required to eat lunch at a particular time -- between 12:37 P.M. and 1:14 P.M. -- by forces so much large than myself that I couldn't even begin to identify them.
No one ever says goodbye unless they want to see you again.
But I was beginning to learn that your life is a story told about you, not one that you tell....You think you're the painter, but you're the canvas.
Your now is not your forever.
I thought about him asking me if I'd ever been in love. It's  a weird phrase in English, in love, like it's a sea you drown in or a town you live in. You don't get to be in anything else---in friendship or in anger or in hope. All you can be in is love.
Anybody can look at you. It’s quite rare to find someone who sees the same world you see.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,981,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible