dismiss

Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

Turtles All the Way Down

by John Green

Sixteen-year-old Aza never intended to pursue the mystery of fugitive billionaire Russell Pickett, but there's a hundred-thousand-dollar reward at stake and her best and most fearless friend, Daisy, is eager to investigate. So together, they navigate the short distance and broad divides that separate them from Russell Pickett's son, Davis. Aza is trying. She is trying to be a good daughter, a good friend, a good student, and maybe even a good detective, while also living within the ever-tightening spiral of her own thoughts. In his long-awaited return, John Green, the acclaimed, award-winning author of Looking for Alaska and The Fault in Our Stars, shares Aza's story with shattering, unflinching clarity in this brilliant novel of love, resilience, and the power of lifelong friendship.--INSIDE FLAP.… (more)
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (chwiggy)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (MarchingBandMan)
    MarchingBandMan: The other quasi-existentialist John Green book. Miles Halter deals with existentialism/nihilism in a different way than Aza Holmes, yet this earlier, rawer YA novel expounds on similar themes.
    Paper Towns by John Green (chwiggy)

English (144)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (149)
door Jade:

Ik las het boek ‘schildpadden tot in het oneindige’ van John Green. M’n zus had het al gelezen en raadde het me aan toen ik zei dat we een boek moesten lezen voor Nederlands. Ik ben blij dat ze dat heeft gedaan, want ik heb er enorm van genoten. Het is een traag boek, elk detail wordt verteld, maar het is dus ook zeer meeslepend. Ik vind het op een super goede manier geschreven, maar ik denk dat het nog beter is in het Engels omdat er soms zinnen in komen die in het Nederlands wat raar klinken (niet fout, maar wel raar) en als je die dan in het Engels hoort, eigenlijk super mooi zijn.

-Er komen veel moeilijke woorden in het boek voor die ik eerst moest opzoeken voor ik ze kon begrijpen. Het was dus soms wat lastig dat ik niet in 1 keer door kon lezen.

Voor mij heeft het boek de perfecte dikte. Wanneer ik op het einde was, wou ik natuurlijk niet dat het stopte. Dat is enkel een teken dat het zo’n goed boek was.

Ik geef mijn boek de volle 5 sterren, want het opzoeken van moeilijke woorden stoorde me niet echt en ik heb er ook nog eens wat van bijgeleerd. ( )
  literair_adolescent | May 13, 2020 |
Another John Green story. Aza, the main character deals with increasingly intense anxiety, as she and her best friend, Daisy, try to solve a local mystery. Green's narrative relates Aza's intrusive thoughts with disturbing clarity, but also reflects the importance of support systems in her life. ( )
  TAPearson | May 11, 2020 |
John Green's latest YA novel features Aza Holmes, a high school junior who suffers from sometimes-devastating clinical anxiety; her Stars Wars-obsessed BFF Daisy; and Davis, her childhood crush, whose billionaire father has recently mysteriously disappeared.

It's hard to know quite how I feel about this one. There's some fun, smart, entertaining dialog. And Aza is a good, rather charming character, whose mental health problems are handled in a very insightful, realistic, clueful way that takes them very seriously without ever getting too Very Special Episode about any of it. And I did find the ending a bit touching.

But, I don't know, while it was a perfectly fine read, overall, I felt my enthusiasm for it waning a bit by the time I was maybe halfway through. It seemed like there was a lot of talk, but rather less substance to it, and I think I did kind of expect at least a little bit more plot from a novel featuring a missing billionaire. There was not much of that, though. Mostly there was a lot of various characters waxing philosophical. And, well... The thing is, John Green can do some top-notch waxing philosophical. I've been listening to his podcast The Anthropocene Reviewed lately, and it's a freaking brilliant combination of humor, introspection, and philosophical musing. I give it the full five stars. But I think that sort of thing works better (or at least more consistently well) coming from Green himself than from his characters. Or maybe I'm just very vaguely disappointed because the novel feels like it's trying to do a lot of the same things the podcast does, and that just leads me to compare them unfairly.

Then again, maybe it's just that this really wasn't the right time to be reading a book focusing in great detail on someone who is terrifyingly obsessed with the idea of catching an infection. Because, I'll be honest, following Aza into that particular mental spiral didn't do any favors for my own emotional balance at this exact moment. ( )
1 vote bragan | May 2, 2020 |
It's a good book, but it's not the best book that exists. I personally don't know where all the hype is coming from. I do like the representation of mental health in this book, but I cannot judge it as I never experienced what Aza has. ( )
  Linde1 | Apr 30, 2020 |
"I was beginning to learn that your life is a story told about you, not one that you tell."

The summary of the book is about two girls creating their own investigation of a missing well-known businessman. This plot is minimal in the story that is the real story.

The main character, Aza Holmesy, is trapped in a body convulsing with never-ending thoughts and irrational fears of contagious diseases. Aza is full of anxiety and unable to control or remove herself from her downward spirals. Her family, friends and therapist have their fair share of attempts but offer little assistance in her time of need. Aza feels like she is held hostage in her overwhelming thoughts that don't allow her to be what she should be-a healthy teenager.

The root of this story teaches YA readers that mental illness is a real thing, can be talked about and can be supported in the right hands.

As an adult, the story line was just too young and it got away from me but I believe it could be an important book for young readers. ( )
  Thurbiee | Apr 29, 2020 |

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Man can do what he wills, but he cannot will what he wills. -Arthur Schopenhauer
To Henry and Alice
At the time I first realized I might be fictional, my weekdays were spent at a publicly funded institution on the north side of Indianapolis called White River High School, where I was required to eat lunch at a particular time -- between 12:37 P.M. and 1:14 P.M. -- by forces so much large than myself that I couldn't even begin to identify them.
No one ever says goodbye unless they want to see you again.
But I was beginning to learn that your life is a story told about you, not one that you tell....You think you're the painter, but you're the canvas.
Your now is not your forever.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,387,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible