Kill Creek (2017)

by Scott Thomas

"At the end of a dark prairie road, nearly forgotten in the Kansas countryside, is the Finch House. For years it has remained empty, overgrown, abandoned. Soon the door will be opened for the first time in decades. But something is waiting, lurking in the shadows, anxious to meet its new guests ... When best-selling horror author Sam McGarver is invited to spend Halloween in one of the world's most infamous haunted houses, he reluctantly agrees. At least he won't be alone; joining him are three other masters of the macabre, writers who have helped shape modern horror. But what begins as a simple publicity stunt will become a fight for survival. The entity they have awakened will follow them, torment them, threatening to make them a part of the bloody legacy of Kill Creek."--Cover flap.… (more)

OMG!!!!! I LOVE IT! I'd give it 6 stars if I could.

As a horror fan this is one of the best horror fiction I have ever read. Watching horror movies is my favorite thing to do but reading them is even better. It's easier to create mind blowing and gory images when writing them down than making a movie and as someone who creates images while reading this was CRAZYYY!

The book starts with the haunted house stereotype and I must say I wasn't particular sure it'd be unique but boyyy was I wrong!

I won't lie I was a little spooked in some parts and fearful on behalf of the characters.

What i'll say is this was mind blowing (no spoilers here haha)! The ending was certainly unexpected like AFTER EVERYTHING!?

Sacchie | Nov 30, 2023 |
Perfect book for a Halloween Read

This is a really good horror, the physiological kind and it works brilliantly.

4 well-known authors get invited to spend the night in a haunted house for an interview, but it is an interview they wish they had turned down!

It is a bit of a slow burner, but i think that adds to the story and builds up the suspense and adds depth which sucks you in. The descriptions of the house on Kill Creek allow you to see the house and see how it works its way into the very different horror writers.

The house is defiantly the star of the story but the different characters are all memorable for their own reasons, even if not all them are instantly likeable.

As well as the authors there is the young rich internet mogul whose idea it was to bring these authors together in the house and broadcast it live on the internet on Halloween.

The house has been waiting for them and has its own agenda, whilst at first the house appears to be a bit of a let down on the haunted stakes, little do they know that even though the house let them all leave it will call them all back to finish off what was started on Halloween night.

It’s so hard to find a good horror novel which is a shame and i am always on the lookout for a truly frightening tale and all though this book didn’t leave me wanting to sleep with the light on it is a really good horror story. The creepiness and atmospheric atmosphere make this book and it is certainly a book that will stay with you long after finishing the book.

Really good book, i would defiantly recommend this to and horror fans ( )
  DebTat2 | Oct 13, 2023 |
So good! A perfect amalgamation of a haunted house and a slasher story. I loved all of the characters, the plot, everything. ( )
  Danielle.Desrochers | Oct 10, 2023 |
(technically 3.5 stars) Honestly, the only thing that prevented me from giving this 4 stars was the persistent fatphobia behind one of the characters, but otherwise it was an excellent haunted house book! ( )
  abhkolo | Apr 25, 2023 |
Non-stop tension kept me reading this book all night! You don’t have to be a horror fan to enjoy this talented author. ( )
  Cam_Torrens | Mar 17, 2023 |
The rising tension is palpable in this psychological horror. Four best-selling horror authors are invited to spend Halloween night in a supposedly-haunted house in Kansas—a cheap publicity stunt conceived by an Internet mogul that takes a much darker turn than any of them expected.
added by Lemeritus | editKirkus, John DeNardo (Oct 11, 2017)

Thomas, ScottAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clark, Bernard SetaroNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gossip is mischievous, light and easy to raise, but grievous to bear and hard to get rid of. No gossip ever dies away entirely, if many people voice it; it too is a kind of divinity.

—Hesiod
Only the silent, sleepy, staring houses in the backwoods can tell all that has lain hidden since the early days. . . . Sometimes one feels that it would be merciful to tear down these houses, for they must often dream.

—H. P. Lovecraft
For Kim, Aubrey, and Cleo.
For my parents.
And for Old Parker,
because the tallest tales
cast the longest shadows.
NO HOUSE IS born bad.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,561,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible