Digital Fortress: A Thriller (1998)

by Dan Brown

A computer whiz takes on the government in defense of the right to privacy. On hearing the National Security Agency has secretly installed a program that can read anyone's e-mail, Ensei Tankado comes up with a program to paralyze it and cripple the NSA.
Recently added byprivate library, Arina42, Annievdm, Ghost1y, jwaldeck83, richardnewquist, Stacie-C

English (211)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (5)  French (4)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (238)
Found this a very surprising book. While I have read all the other Dan Brown novels hadn't bothered to try find his first one, Digital Fortress, as random comments I read about it did not generate much interest on my part. Didn't expect much out of it due to comments and thinking what could be so exciting about computer code writing. Well, was I wrong.

This is as an intriguing adventure as any of Dan Brown's other novels. It doesn't have the dynamics of The Da Vinci Code it is an excellent techno thriller and deserving of more attention that it has gotten. The details are excellent. The story is extremely fascinating and Dan Brown throws out enough surprises and twists to keep the reader fixated on the story and not knowing what will happen next. Very candidly believe this is better than some of Dan Brown's other works. If you enjoy a good adventure this should be on your 'to read' list. ( )
  can44okie | Aug 28, 2020 |
It's been so long since I read this that I can't really remember the details, but going by the rating I gave at the time, I liked it!
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
Utter garbage. If it wasn’t because I listen to the “372 Pages We’ll Never Get Back” podcast I would have bailed on it ages ago. The writing was just horrendous. And the climax was a complete cop out. ( )
  Arkrayder | May 21, 2020 |
Let's get one thing clear, I don't care what other people say, I like Dan Brown's books. Yes you know what you are getting, they may be generic thrillers, but one thing you cannot deny is that they are page turners. Digital Fortress is no different, the story of a super coded piece of software that could bring down the American Intelligence Agencies. The excitement builds and builds until the conclusion. Not a spoiler to say things work out in the end with the lovely Susan Fletcher saving the day. Would recommend. ( )
1 vote mick745 | Apr 8, 2020 |
Toxic waste! Avoid if possible. Clunky plot and bad 'twists' ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |
A crescendo of murder, infernos, and explosions... Brown's skill... will rivet cyber-minded readers.
added by Shortride | editBooklist, Gilbert Taylor

Dan Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ruitenberg, JosephineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salminen, RaimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for my parents ...
my mentors and heroes
Prologue: It is said that in death, all things become clear; Ensei Tankado now knew it was true.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes - wie bewaakt de bewakers ? uit de Satiren van Juvenalis

Kad se neuništivi stroj za dešifriranje u vlasništvu Nacionalne sigurnosne agencije susretne sa tajanstvenim kodom kojeg ne može razbiti, Agencija poziva u pomoć svoju glavnu kriptografkinju Susan Fletcher, nadarenu i prelijepu matematičarku. Ono što će ona otkriti, potrest će centre moći. NSA iznenada postaje žrtvom ucjene, ne oružane, već putem koda koji je toliko kompleksan da njegovo objavljivanje može onesposobiti čitavu obavještajnu službu SAD-a.

Uvučena u opasan vrtlog mračnih tajni i podlih laži, Susan Fletcher bori se za spas Agencije u koju vjeruje. Izdana od svih, polako shvaća kako se ne bori samo za svoju domovinu, već i za svoj vlastiti život, a na kraju i za život čovjeka kojeg voli.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,013,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible