Face Down Upon an Herbal by Kathy Lynn…

Face Down Upon an Herbal (1998)

by Kathy Lynn Emerson (Author)

I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
Enjoyable book, but the author needs to cut back on the use of obscure words. At some points, I was stopping every couple of pages to Google some word I had never heard of. I ended up having to look up 34 words, several of which took half an hour searching on-line to find a website that gave a definition. If she finds it necessary to use words that are this obscure, at least there should be a glossary of words at the beginning or the end of the book, as is done by some other authors such as Melvin Starr in his Hugh De Singleton series. ( )
  BillC. | Dec 7, 2014 |
A library patron recommended this book to me, and I am finding it to be a fun, quick read. Susanna, Lady Appleton is a strong female character who has written a book about herbal decoctions. Susanna is summoned by Queen Elizabeth to Madderly Castle to assist a noblewoman there who is working on a book about herbal remedies. When Susanna arrives at the castle, she finds that a murder has been committed and she is soon pulled into finding out who the killer is. This is mostly a "cozy" mystery - not too many gory details. What I like most about this book is the plethora of period detail about everyday life.
  RAPS | Jun 5, 2008 |
for Sandy
Startled by a small sound, Magdalen Harleigh looked up from the herbal she was studying.

The 16th century herbalist, Lady Appleton, travels to Madderly Castle to help Lady Madderly write a book on herbs. When her hostess is bludgeoned with a candlestick, Lady Appleton hunts for the killer.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,879,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible