Fangland by John Marks

Fangland

by John Marks

Evangeline Harker is a producer for a television news show called “The Hour”. On the heels of her engagement she reluctantly leaves for Transylvania to investigate the possibility of a story about an international gangster, Ion Torgu. In this book Torgu steps into the count Dracula character. Unfortunately, he does not do it well. Mr. Marks attempts to update the vampire lore and I found he left much lacking. Although Torgu shares some of the classic vampire traits the rest is too ambiguous to define him as a vampire.

The story unfolds to the reader in journal entries, letters and emails between the characters so is told in many voices. This technique often works but in this book it only adds to make the story a little disjointed.

Fangland can best be described as Dracula dragged into the 21st century. The first quarter of this book started out with great promise and then, for me, it just started to run out of steam. The saving grace is that as a former 60 Minutes producer Marks does give the reader an intimate glance into the (possible) behind the scenes of a major news show. His tidbits of satire is what kept me reading to the end.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
I hated this book. I understand that the author was trying to give a new perspective on vampires, but honestly? A vampire that has been around for centuries and seen all different kinds of massacre and death, has to use a bucket for blood drinking? You would think he would've figured out something a bit more sophisticated than that. There are characters that are brought into the story that are never explained or expanded upon. Can someone please tell what was with the Greek brothers that Torgu had in his hotel? This story seemed choppy at best. Nothing is ever fully explained and none of it flows very well. The author jumped perspectives, which is normally good to bring the story more detail but why change the perspective if you aren't going to say anything worthwhile. I was very disappointed and would not recommend this book at all. ( )
  demonite93 | Jun 2, 2011 |
Fangland was a very slow read. Usually when a book includes emails, journal entries, and other forms of communications, it helps to move the story along. While these inclusions brought other viewpoints into the story, they didn't do anything to actually liven up the story.

The main character, Evangeline, was all over the place. She was unreliable and unsympathetic. She wasn't the only one. None of the characters gave much of a reason for the reader to care about them at all.

Fangland's version of vampires had weird rules that were hard to understand. They drank blood and were immortal, but even this was strangely different from the norm. They didn't bite their victims as much as bleed them into a bucket to drink after the killing. They chanted place names, which turned humans into their minions. It wasn't explained as to why these things were done.

The idea that a vampire takes over a 60 Minutes type show was much better in theory than it was presented here. For all the intrigue that could have taken place, I found myself largely disappointed. Too much of the "why" was missing to make Fangland a worthwhile read. ( )
  TequilaReader | Jul 25, 2010 |
The first think that got my attention was the cover of Fangland. It’s very dark and mysterious and splattered with blood. My kind of book. When I received Fangland in the mail I began reading it at once. Evangeline Harker is a producer. She goes to Transylvania to interview Ion Torgu. Torgu is very mysterious man with all kinds of secrets. Is he a criminal? Is he a vampire? Is he something worse?
What I like about the book: The newsroom characters were quirky, from a civil war reenactor to someone thinking the network is always 'out to get them' . I found them very entertaining. The story was told from different perspectives. Some of the story was told through email and journal entries. I liked this because you got to see the mayhem that was happening back at the office. I liked the characters reactions because they were mostly believable. I liked the story line. It kept me interested and curious on what was going on. The ending was okay.
What I didn’t like about the book: There were a few moments when I wanted to smack Evangeline. She ignores her common sense and her gut feelings and gets into the car with Torgu, a criminal. I wanted to scream “Are you out of your mind? Didn’t your mother ever tell you not to get into a car with a known or suspected criminal? Stranger Danger, Evangeline”. However if she didn’t ignore her gut, it wouldn’t have been much of a story. So I’ll let that pass.

More reviews available at http://2readornot2read-loves2read.blogspot.com
  mt256 | Jul 15, 2010 |
Fangland re-tells the classic Dracula story with a modern day twist. Evangeline Harker is an assistant producer for The Hours, a 60 minutes type new show based in New York. Evangeline travels to Romania to research a possible news story for the program. However, instead of meeting an Eastern European crime lord, she finds Ion Torgu, a modern day vampire. The story simultaneously deals Evangeline’s disappearance and Ion Torgu’s creeping influence on the workers of The Hours. As Torgu’s presence infiltrates The Hours, one by one the news workers grow sick and deranged.
The overall concept of Fangland is interesting and the novel starts out well. However as the story wears on the plot begins to plod along. There is no real sense of menace or emotional investment in the characters and soon their predicament becomes somewhat boring. ( )
  queencersei | Apr 21, 2010 |

As the popularity of Elizabeth Kostova's bestselling The Historian proves, there's always an audience bloodthirsty for quality, page-turning horror. Now, in a marvelously horrifying turn, John Marks-a former 60 Minutes producer-sinks his satirical teeth into twenty-first- century media. In Fangland, Evangeline Harker is an employee of the legendary TV news magazine The Hour. Sent on assignment to Transylvania, she delivers more than a story when mysterious e-mails, coffins, and a creepy guy named Torgu descend on the New York office. This darkly funny tale will appeal to vampire and horror aficionados as well as anyone who's fed up with what passes for "news" today.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:31 -0400)

An acclaimed novelist and former 60 Minutes producer grandly reinvents the Dracula epic in the halls of a certain television newsmagazine

In the annals of business trips gone horribly wrong, Evangeline Harker's journey to Romania on behalf of her employer, the popular television newsmagazine The Hour, deserves pride of place ...… (more)

John Marks is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,582,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible