Thrush Green by Miss Read

Thrush Green (1959)

by Miss Read

Very sweet! Perfect for those times when I need to be sure nothing bad will happen. A great group of characters. I look forward to getting to know them better in the rest of this series. ( )
  njcur | May 5, 2019 |
A cozy portrayal of 1950s life in a Cotswold village--what's not to like? And I did like it, but didn't love it. There is very little plot and no conflict to speak of, which is fine if characters are developed in depth, but they aren't. I might read the second one just to see if I've somehow missed the boat since so many love the series, but I'm not eager to start on it soon. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
Review pending ( )
  leslie.98 | Mar 11, 2018 |
Covering one day - the first of May, the day of the annual fair - this novel follows the hopes and dreams and history of various characters in the village. There is a curious mix of careful attention to detail and sweeping summaries of feelings and plans. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jun 11, 2016 |
Despite my love of Village England novels, I've somehow never read a Miss Read book. I think I thought they would be too twee for me. And the first quarter kind of reinforced that. Everyone is so wonderful, everything is so lovely, even the bad things are presented through a softened glow.

But then, as I read, I started to get caught in the story. And the writing is lovely, especially the descriptions of nature and the understated observations of the people.

By the end I wanted to read another one. Immediately. I guess I'll go find the first installment of the other series, the one narrated by Miss Read herself (Doris Saint, the author, wrote two series, and this is the not-as-famous-but-still-famous-one).

A fluffy warm blanket book, for sure, but it captures an era and its people in a way that doesn't condescend at all, and still holds up. Fascinating.

Oh yeah, the plot. The story takes place over the course of May 1, when a much-loved fair comes to town. The villagers and the fair people all know each other. There are crossover stories between the traveling folk and the villagers, a couple of extremely decorous love stories, and amusing secondary characters. It's very early-Thirkellian, which makes sense because Saint was a fan of Trollope. But when Thirkell wrote about the 1950s she was in her embittered phase. This is more like reading the Thirkell of the 1930s and 1940s, but set in the later era. If that makes sense.

There are illustrations sprinkled throughout the text. I'd forgotten how nice it was to have those. Just black and white on my ereader, although they don't look to be in the right shades to be in color (when available). A few typos but overall a wonderful throwback read. ( )
  Sunita_p | Mar 6, 2016 |
To Edie with love
As soon as he opened his eyes the child remembered, and his heart soared.

Miss Read's charming chronicles of small-town life have achieved an almost legendary popularity worldwide by offering a welcome return to a gentler time and "wit, humor, and wisdom in equal measure" (Cleveland Plain Dealer). This volume introduces Thrush Green, the neighboring village to Fairacre: its blackthorn bushes, thatch-roofed cottages, enchanting landscape, and jumble sales. Readers will delight in a new cast of characters and also welcome familiar faces as they become immersed in the village's turn of events on one pivotal day -- May Day. Before the day is over, life and love and perhaps eternity will touch the immemorial peace of the village.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:14 -0400)

Introduces the small village of Thrush Green, and all the local families.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,477,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible