A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon

A Breath of Snow and Ashes (2005)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (6)

6,927119864 (4.27)184
In 1772, the rift between Britain and its American colonies has put a frightening word into the minds of all concerned: revolution. Violence has already reared its ugly head in rural North Carolina, as cabins have been burned to the ground. To preserve the colony for King George III, the governor pleads with Jamie to bring the people together and restore peace. But Jamie has the privelege, although some might call it a burden, of knowing that war cannot be avoided. Claire has told him that the colonies will unite and rebel, and the result will be independence, with all British loyalist either dead or exiled. And there is an additional problem. Claire has discovered a newspaper clipping from 1776 that tells of Jamie's death.… (more)

English (115)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  All languages (119)
I cannot get enough of this series. This book did not disappoint with the discovery and adventure at almost every turn.
  untitled841 | Jul 24, 2019 |
3.5 stars

Everyone is settled on Fraser’s Ridge in North Carolina. And more settlers are moving there. They are coming close to the date that Roger and Bree had seen as the date Claire and Jamie died in a fire. They are also coming close to the Revolutionary War/the War of Independence in the colonies.

To me, this one felt a bit like “filler” to get somewhere, but at the same time, it (mostly) kept my interest. A few big things happened as time went on, but much of it was day-to-day. Those big things picked the action up for a while as each one happened. Claire had an apprentice to help her out/someone to teach, which I liked. There was something missing (in my opinion) that I would have liked to have “seen” just before the epilogue. I thought maybe that would be part of the next books, but I guess not. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 8, 2019 |
Book on CD narrated by Davina Porter
3***

Book six in a time-travel series I swore I’d never read, but have become strangely addicted to.

This one is heavy on the history of the years leading up to the American colonies declaring independence from Britain. Jamie and Claire find themselves smack dab in the middle of the uprising and having to carefully manage to avoid completely alienating either of the opposing factions. They have some hard decisions to make and find themselves in multiple dangerous situations.

Gabaldon hardly lets the reader rest and enjoy the love between these two central characters. There are beatings, rapes, arrests, near lynchings, fires, blizzards, and mayhem a plenty. Steven Bonnet, that nasty but charming pirate, can’t seem to keep away. Claire continues her medical experiments – inventing ether and perfecting her penicillin injections (love that she uses rattlesnake fangs as her needles!).

The younger generation have a lot to contend with. Ian is grieving the loss of his Mohawk wife. Fergus needs to find a way to provide for his growing family. And the many new settlers on Fraser’s Ridge need help organizing their new lives in this wild and unpredictable country.

Breanna and Roger play a significant role in this episode and I found Bree just a tiny bit less irritating. Though for the life of me I can’t understand how that woman hasn’t gotten herself into more trouble given her inability to hold her tongue and her penchant for talking about things that don’t exist yet (and won’t for a couple of centuries), and trying to invent “modern” conveniences (Indoor plumbing? Repeating rifles?) Roger is almost as bad, carving cars for the children to play with!

I marvel at the detail that Gabaldon manages to include in these books, and am interested to learn more of 18th century life. That being said, how many times does she have to tells us how everyone smells “of sweat and of horse”?

I’ve gotten way ahead of the TV series, so I think I’m going to give the series a rest for at least a year … if I can stay away …

Davina Porter is nothing short of perfection in her performance of the audiobook. I love the way she voices the various characters. She brings out both Bonnet’s charm and oily nastiness; makes Claire both vulnerable and iron-strong; and helps the listener fell the pain of Ian’s loss. 5***** for her performance. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 22, 2019 |
loved this on in the series, a lot more twist and turns in the plot. will be picking up the next book in the series real soon ( )
  cbloky | Feb 5, 2019 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schnell, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
De mensheid ziet in vele dingen de hand van God, tijd is daar één van. Leven volgt op een volgend leven, daar is geen einde aan. Men is doordrongen van zijn macht, want niets immers - bergen nog legers - kan het opnemen tegen tijd?
Natuurlijk, tijd heelt alle wonden. Geef iets genóég tijd en alles komt goed: pijn wordt geabsorbeerd, ontberingen vergeten, verlies krijgt een plaats.
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Onthoudt dat gij van stof zijt, mens, en tot stof zult hij wederkeren.
En als Tijd verbonden is met God, moet Herinnering gelijk staan aan de Duivel
This Book is Dedicated to Charles Dickens, Robert Louis Stevenson, Dorothy L. Sayers, John D. MacDonald and P.G. Wodehouse
The dog sensed them first.
Prologue: Time is a lot of the things people say that God is.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,979,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible