A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon

A Breath of Snow and Ashes (2005)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (6)

5,087None876 (4.25)118
Recently added byprivate library, AoifeT, pathfindercentral, adriana2430, Ladyzen, cbilbo, Kat_Hooper, TamaraF1964

English (71)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (74)
I love this series! I stumbled onto Outlander by accident. How I don't recall, but it doesn't matter. I was hooked. You really need to read this in order. Thus is book #6.

In this book you have time travel, war in the 1770's, sex, murder, and most of all Jamie and Claire!

A true love story that grips your heart from book 1. How she struggles with right vs wrong. Where Jamie just does. Their daughter Brianna and her family are struggling as well with life in 1770's. What makes it great is the family bond. Jamie guides Roger through pre-America colonization. Brianna is a knock off the old block of Jamie and Claire. I love little Jem in this book. Nothing but all boy.

I can't say enough about this book. They are absolutely amazing! ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

I can't say enough about this book. They are absolutely amazing! ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
Where I got the book: audiobook from Audible.

I have spent the best part of a year listening to the Outlander series and honestly, by this point the books are just blending into one another. Most of the time the story isn't really a story so much as a container that holds a whole load of smaller stories, some resolved quickly, others left for later. If things slow down, one of the women gets kidnapped, raped or threatened with kidnap or rape, or all of the above. Which probably happened quite a bit in pre-revolutionary America.

And then Jamie turns up and rescues everyone, and takes Claire to bed. Considering she's about 55 by now she's doing pretty darn well; they don't seem to go much longer than 3 days without a good bonk, Jamie never has eyes for anyone else, and he likes it when she puts on a bit of weight because it goes straight to her lovely round arse. The perfect man indeed.

After hundreds of hours of listening, Gabaldon's writing is pretty predictable. She never passes up the chance to use a well-worn phrase, endlessly describes what Jamie's hair looks like, and loves to go off on a tangent about 18th century science or doctoring. Narrator Davina Porter never flags, although I have known her to mix up an accent here and there.

And you know what? I'll miss these books when I'm done. They may be rambling and way too long but they're fun to listen to. One day I'll probably go back to the beginning again... ( )
  JaneSteen | Dec 30, 2013 |
The first book had me completely absorbed in the little details and fascinating plot, the second book made me angry by the huge jump in time and then made me happy, while the third book continued to hold my interest. The fourth book was a little slow. The fifth book made me wish for all that time spent listening back again because really, however many pages an author should devote to homesteading, Ms. Gabaldon surpassed it at least ten-fold. The sixth book frustrated me with its plodding story, with its hyper-attention to detail, and with the continued and inexplicable use of multiple narrators. This does nothing but prolong the agony. If the last two books have been less-than-ideal and even somewhat of a waste of time, why did I continue the series and move on to A Breath of Snow and Ashes? I wish I knew.

The writing sucks. It is not a well-written series at all, repetitive and worthy of many an eye roll or snort of disbelief. Ms. Gabaldon uses the same phrases, descriptions, and dialogue all the time. While continuity is important, the repetition becomes old very quickly. This is on top of the fact that the entire series is just one big, very bad soap opera – the kind where the villain suffers forty different ways to die but always survives to torment his victims. Stephen Bonnet is the eighteenth-century Stefano. One can practically predict which major character is slated for his or her turn at mortal peril because it happens to them all with such frequency. Yet, I keep listening, yelling at the characters for their stupidity and getting anxious on their behalf even though I know they all survive for at least two more books. I was sucked into the Outlander world, and I can’t seem to get out.

In the beginning of the series, the sex scenes were so unusual in a romance novel because they were actually vital to the story. Through their most intimate moments, readers learned more about Clare and Jamie, their vulnerabilities and their sensitivities. It was never a sex scene purely for titillation but a method by which the characters developed and grew. The same can no longer be said about any of the sex scenes within these later novels. First of all, there is nothing more to learn about Jamie or Clare. Readers have been with them for years now, and their characters are fairly set in their development. Then, there is the ick factor. Both are approaching 60 years of age, and while I appreciate that their love life is healthy and frequent, it is not necessarily something about which I want to read. Jamie’s comments about Clare’s body have him turning into a lecherous old man, and that is just wrong. Then there is the physical descriptions themselves. While Jamie is clearly an ass man given his many lascivious (and slightly disturbing) comments about the state of Clare’s derrière, I’m beginning to think Ms. Gabaldon is a breast woman herself. There is way too much attention and description devoted to all females’ breasts. Dresses cling to them, sweat trickles between them, they are fondled, kissed, and cupped, they leak milk, and babies release them with audible noises. If there is a woman in any given scene, Ms. Gabaldon will inevitably mention something about that woman’s breasts. Frankly, it’s annoying and disappointing.

Then there is the issue with Jamie and Clare’s daughter and son-in-law. I hate Bree and Roger. There. I said it. Bree is one of the most spoiled, stupid girls in print. Roger was great, if a bit weak and unmanly in comparison to Jamie, until he married Bree. With that one act, he became thoroughly uninteresting and superlative. As for Bree, she is just now thinking of the dangers of going back in time 200 years to the Revolutionary War – after the war has started. For someone who is supposed to have such a brilliant mind, she completely lacks in common sense as well as empathy. The scenes told from either of their points of view are just agonizing, as Roger spends most of his time thinking about Bree and Bree spends most of her time worrying about how certain events are going to affect her. Their sex scenes are not in the least bit erotic or even very romantic. Very rarely do they contribute something to the overarching plot, and most of the time, their presence causes more complications than solutions. It goes without saying that their removal from the story would also eliminate a good number of pages in this very bloated series.

The problem is that at an average audiobook length of 50+ hours, I have spent way too much time devoted to Jamie and Clare to quit the series now. I may not be quite as vested in their survival as I once was, but I would like to solve the mystery of how they die. I would like closure. Ms. Gabaldon has not yet written her stories to provide closure, and so I am stuck in this world of time travelers. I will continue with the series onto book 7 and eventually book 8 when it is released next year. Perhaps by then, Ms. Gabaldon will have made it possible for me to say good-bye. Until then, there will be more yelling and eye-rolling and general frustration at the slow pacing, repetitive syntax, unnecessary narrative shifts, and completely unnecessary sex scenes. It is most definitely the book world’s version of a daytime soap opera.
  jmchshannon | Oct 1, 2013 |
As in the previous book, the beginning of this book of the series brings together bygone events which proves to be advantageous as the story moves along. It is, however, a roller-coaster ride of a book! In parts you are laughing out loud only to be sobered up abruptly by ensuing situations. Do not begin Part Four: Abduction unless you feel you can finish it at one reading. However, it might be that even if you have the time to finish it at one sitting, you might not want to since this section is especially unnerving. Besides being a roller-coaster of a ride, it is also as agile as a snake and the plot winds, turns and slithers so you have to pay attention. Because it all comes out in the wash, as the saying goes. Sometimes most unexpectedly. Answers are provided to events in previous books and new events introduced which will be brought forward to future books. Fine with me. I found the Revolutionary War scenarios exciting in general and specific situations fascinating. Since I was very ignorant of most events of the War, I did some googling and, as usual, many of the characters are real and that their purported actions in the DG book jive with the history reporting. Kudos to DG for the ending with two Epilogues. What I am looking for specifically is if the mention, in Outlander, by Frank to Claire, that he has seen a Scot in full regalia with a magnificent stag brooch standing outside looking up at their hotel window is the sentence that will bring the series full circle eventually. I am absolutely no match for the story intrigues of DG and this is part of the fascination: I know she will somehow resolve a situation but how? And how she does this is always, always clever and believable. On to Book 7.... ( )
  HugoReads | Jul 8, 2013 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
De mensheid ziet in vele dingen de hand van God, tijd is daar één van. Leven volgt op een volgend leven, daar is geen einde aan. Men is doordrongen van zijn macht, want niets immers - bergen nog legers - kan het opnemen tegen tijd?
Natuurlijk, tijd heelt alle wonden. Geef iets genóég tijd en alles komt goed: pijn wordt geabsorbeerd, ontberingen vergeten, verlies krijgt een plaats.
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Onthoudt dat gij van stof zijt, mens, en tot stof zult hij wederkeren.
En als Tijd verbonden is met God, moet Herinnering gelijk staan aan de Duivel
This Book is Dedicated to Charles Dickens, Robert Louis Stevenson, Dorothy L. Sayers, John D. MacDonald and P.G. Wodehouse
The dog sensed them first.

Eagerly anticipated by her legions of fans, this sixth novel in Diana Gabaldon’s bestselling Outlander saga is a masterpiece of historical fiction from one of the most popular authors of our time.

Since the initial publication of Outlander fifteen years ago, Diana Gabaldon’s New York Times bestselling saga has won the hearts of readers the world over — and sold more than twelve million books. Now, A Breath of Snow and Ashes continues the extraordinary story of 18th-century Scotsman Jamie Fraser and his 20th-century wife, Claire.

The year is 1772, and on the eve of the American Revolution, the long fuse of rebellion has already been lit. Men lie dead in the streets of Boston, and in the backwoods of North Carolina, isolated cabins burn in the forest.

With chaos brewing, the governor calls upon Jamie Fraser to unite the backcountry and safeguard the colony for King and Crown. But from his wife Jamie knows that three years hence the shot heard round the world will be fired, and the result will be independence — with those loyal to the King either dead or in exile. And there is also the matter of a tiny clipping from The Wilmington Gazette, dated 1776, which reports Jamie’s death, along with his kin. For once, he hopes, his time-traveling family may be wrong about the future.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:00 -0400)

In 1772, Jamie Fraser is asked by the governor to help protect the colonies for King and Crown, but thanks to his time-traveling, twentieth-century wife, Claire, Jamie is aware of the ultimate result of the American Revolution.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,429,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible