A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon

A Breath of Snow and Ashes (2005)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (6)

English (75)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (78)
A Breath of Snow and Ashes disappointed me in one thing and one thing only - I liked all the Frasers at one and the same point in history, thank you. My heart is a little broken (not as broken as after Outlander, obviously) and I am still hooked (please write at least 18 more books, D. Gabaldon).

The impending deaths of Claire and Jamie Fraser, the vengeance on Stephen Bonnet, and the missing French gold story-lines wrapped, I cannot wait what the new plot arcs will bring. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
Set in 1772 on the eve of the Revolutionary War, events have been set in motion that will lead to the War. In this backdrop are Jamie Fraser and his time travelling wife Clare and their family. Jamie is still staying loyal to the Crown, even though he knows from his wife what the results of the war will be. To complicate matters, they had come across a clipping from the Wilmington Gazette which states that Jaimie and his family had died.

A Breath of Snow and Ashes is a well written and compelling novel. Gabaldon has done a good job of creating a story world. On the downside the novel feels slow and lumbering at times. The storyline is also a little disjointed in spots. This novel is not quite at the same level as some of the other novels in the series, but it is still enjoyable if you have read others in the series.

Carl Alves – author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Jan 3, 2015 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this 6th book in the series. I think I enjoyed it more the third time I read it. Perhaps it has to do with reading the whole series again. I'm ready to start the next one, also a reread. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Jun 18, 2014 |
Note: A Breath of Snow And Ashes is the sixth novel in the "Outlander Series." There will necessarily be spoilers for the first five books in the series.

This series tells the ongoing saga of English nurse Claire who travels back in time and takes up with hot Highland hunk Jamie. They have moved to America, it is now 1773, and war is afoot.

In A Breath of Snow And Ashes, Gabaldon finally lets all the vile evil nature of human beings unfettered by law come darkly forth, usually with fire in its wake. In this very long book, we have no less than three abductions (i.e., one approximately every 350 pages). And in addition to kidnap, gang rape, slave trading, and lynching, we now have a lesbian to go with the usual panoply of gay males. (It’s probably not necessarily that there is such a high percentage of gay individuals in the early American world, but rather a reflection of the fact that no one can resist either Jamie or Claire…..)

And of course, Jamie and Claire are still devoted to one another. Jamie, as sexy and heroic as ever, even confesses he likes Claire better when she gains weight than when she loses it! (It is clear why no one can resist this man!) More tenderly, he tells Claire, “If ye were no longer there - or somewhere … then the sun would no longer come up or go down.”

In other news in this family saga, mysteries get solved about both Jocasta and Ian; Fergus and Marsali are forced to make a big change; Roger finds his calling; Roger and Bree discover who the real father is of Jemmy; and Bree experiences a couple of big surprises that force her to make some life-altering decisions as the book concludes in 1776.

Discussion: This book is much darker than the previous ones, and yet, for that very reason, more realistic.

We still get details of almost every meal, every instance of sweating, belching, constipation, lusting, praying, sleepless nights, chores - you name it - and yet for the most part Gabaldon carries it off without being boring.

I’m also impressed that the series retains so many younger readers, even though there are complaints aplenty in blog reviews about the grossness of “geriatric sex.” Come on! I thought 50 or 60 was the new 40! And at any rate, Claire apparently looks like she is much younger, although she worries about the veins standing out in her hands and her breasts sagging and so on. But Jamie even has silver hairs you know where and besides, his devotion to Claire knows no bounds, so not to worry….

Evaluation: It’s fun to share the excitement of the characters from the future as the American Revolution approaches, and good to get clarification on a number of the plot mysteries. As with the other books, there is bitter and sweet in this long family tale, but you get caught up in it, and want to know what happens. ( )
  nbmars | Jun 4, 2014 |
I love this series! I stumbled onto Outlander by accident. How I don't recall, but it doesn't matter. I was hooked. You really need to read this in order. Thus is book #6.

In this book you have time travel, war in the 1770's, sex, murder, and most of all Jamie and Claire!

A true love story that grips your heart from book 1. How she struggles with right vs wrong. Where Jamie just does. Their daughter Brianna and her family are struggling as well with life in 1770's. What makes it great is the family bond. Jamie guides Roger through pre-America colonization. Brianna is a knock off the old block of Jamie and Claire. I love little Jem in this book. Nothing but all boy.

I can't say enough about this book. They are absolutely amazing! ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
De mensheid ziet in vele dingen de hand van God, tijd is daar één van. Leven volgt op een volgend leven, daar is geen einde aan. Men is doordrongen van zijn macht, want niets immers - bergen nog legers - kan het opnemen tegen tijd?
Natuurlijk, tijd heelt alle wonden. Geef iets genóég tijd en alles komt goed: pijn wordt geabsorbeerd, ontberingen vergeten, verlies krijgt een plaats.
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Onthoudt dat gij van stof zijt, mens, en tot stof zult hij wederkeren.
En als Tijd verbonden is met God, moet Herinnering gelijk staan aan de Duivel
This Book is Dedicated to Charles Dickens, Robert Louis Stevenson, Dorothy L. Sayers, John D. MacDonald and P.G. Wodehouse
The dog sensed them first.

Eagerly anticipated by her legions of fans, this sixth novel in Diana Gabaldon’s bestselling Outlander saga is a masterpiece of historical fiction from one of the most popular authors of our time.

Since the initial publication of Outlander fifteen years ago, Diana Gabaldon’s New York Times bestselling saga has won the hearts of readers the world over — and sold more than twelve million books. Now, A Breath of Snow and Ashes continues the extraordinary story of 18th-century Scotsman Jamie Fraser and his 20th-century wife, Claire.

The year is 1772, and on the eve of the American Revolution, the long fuse of rebellion has already been lit. Men lie dead in the streets of Boston, and in the backwoods of North Carolina, isolated cabins burn in the forest.

With chaos brewing, the governor calls upon Jamie Fraser to unite the backcountry and safeguard the colony for King and Crown. But from his wife Jamie knows that three years hence the shot heard round the world will be fired, and the result will be independence — with those loyal to the King either dead or in exile. And there is also the matter of a tiny clipping from The Wilmington Gazette, dated 1776, which reports Jamie’s death, along with his kin. For once, he hopes, his time-traveling family may be wrong about the future.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:00 -0400)

In 1772, Jamie Fraser is asked by the governor to help protect the colonies for King and Crown, but thanks to his time-traveling, twentieth-century wife, Claire, Jamie is aware of the ultimate result of the American Revolution.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,715,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible