A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon

A Breath of Snow and Ashes (2005)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (6)

English (83)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (86)
We find out about Ian's wife and baby. Malva tries to accuse Jamie of sleeping with her and getting her pregnant. She also tried to kill Claire and Tom to get him. We find out that Jocosta and Ulysses have been sleeping together for 20 year. Ulysses takes Phaedre off River Run and Bree finds her when Neil Forbes has her kidnapped by Stephen Bonnet. She's pregnant so safe from being raped by him again, but he has no problem with selling her to West Indies plantation owners. He tells her about a dream of how he dies and eerily enough that's his sentence for pirating, but Bree goes out and shoots him in the head. Donner shows up again with friends trying to find gem stones so he can go back to his own time. They don't have any because baby Amanda has a heart defect and so the MacKenzie family go back to their own time with the stones they acquired. Before they do that Bree meets William and recognizes that he must be her brother. She wants to tell him, but it talked out of it by Jaime. This was one HUGE book! Almost 1000 pages that the next one seems light in comparison. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
7/30/14: My summer of Outlander.
Finished 8/13/2014. Excellent. ( )
  ellenuw | Jan 27, 2016 |
Listened to Audio Book--Didn't know it was an abridged version until after starting it. I will have to get the book and read it.
  AmieB7 | Jan 21, 2016 |
This was such a great book - maybe the best one in the series. I think I said that about all of the books in the series...uh oh. I really *really* loved this one. ( )
  ER1116 | Jan 13, 2016 |
I can't believe I finally finished this book! At long last I can finally stop hauling this ten pound tome around with me. So much happened that I can barely remember what. Rapes, near rapes, kidnappings, treasure, lost people, found people, murder mystery, incest, traveling through the stones, a fire, and inching closer to the American Revolution. I think that about covers it. I have faithfully read every book thus far in the series. It was probably around book four that I started losing interest. The new Starz series reinvigorated me and led me to pick up this book. That and I happened to own it anyway. I love the TV series. I went and back and picked through the first book and there wasn't any part that wasn't exciting. Somewhere along the line the books just got so bloated. It's Gabaldon's series as she like to remind everyone, and not always in a nice way, so she writes what she wants. At this point I have to skim read in order to get through a lot of it. Intresting things did happen but other plot points just fell away like the stuff related to the other time travelers. Much of the book just went on and on and on. George Martin may be in trouble with Game of Thrones running out of books to film but I doubt Diana will ever have that problem. There is probably ten seasons of plot in this book alone. It will be intresting to see how the TV team winnows down the material. ( )
  arielfl | Sep 16, 2015 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
De mensheid ziet in vele dingen de hand van God, tijd is daar één van. Leven volgt op een volgend leven, daar is geen einde aan. Men is doordrongen van zijn macht, want niets immers - bergen nog legers - kan het opnemen tegen tijd?
Natuurlijk, tijd heelt alle wonden. Geef iets genóég tijd en alles komt goed: pijn wordt geabsorbeerd, ontberingen vergeten, verlies krijgt een plaats.
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Onthoudt dat gij van stof zijt, mens, en tot stof zult hij wederkeren.
En als Tijd verbonden is met God, moet Herinnering gelijk staan aan de Duivel
This Book is Dedicated to Charles Dickens, Robert Louis Stevenson, Dorothy L. Sayers, John D. MacDonald and P.G. Wodehouse
The dog sensed them first.
Prologue: Time is a lot of the things people say that God is.

Eagerly anticipated by her legions of fans, this sixth novel in Diana Gabaldon’s bestselling Outlander saga is a masterpiece of historical fiction from one of the most popular authors of our time.

Since the initial publication of Outlander fifteen years ago, Diana Gabaldon’s New York Times bestselling saga has won the hearts of readers the world over — and sold more than twelve million books. Now, A Breath of Snow and Ashes continues the extraordinary story of 18th-century Scotsman Jamie Fraser and his 20th-century wife, Claire.

The year is 1772, and on the eve of the American Revolution, the long fuse of rebellion has already been lit. Men lie dead in the streets of Boston, and in the backwoods of North Carolina, isolated cabins burn in the forest.

With chaos brewing, the governor calls upon Jamie Fraser to unite the backcountry and safeguard the colony for King and Crown. But from his wife Jamie knows that three years hence the shot heard round the world will be fired, and the result will be independence — with those loyal to the King either dead or in exile. And there is also the matter of a tiny clipping from The Wilmington Gazette, dated 1776, which reports Jamie’s death, along with his kin. For once, he hopes, his time-traveling family may be wrong about the future.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:25 -0400)

In 1772, Jamie Fraser is asked by the governor to help protect the colonies for King and Crown, but thanks to his time-traveling, twentieth-century wife, Claire, Jamie is aware of the ultimate result of the American Revolution.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,190,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible