Aaron's Rod by D. H. Lawrence

Aaron's Rod (1922)

by D. H. Lawrence

Didn't really do anything for me just seemed to meander around. ( )
  brakketh | Nov 28, 2017 |
505. Aaron's Rod, by D. H. Lawrence (read 19 Dec 1956) Not impressed by this work. ( )
  Schmerguls | Jun 26, 2013 |
Guy walks away from his wife and kids because he needs to be "alone". Loser. ( )
  autumnesf | Aug 21, 2009 |
I can't claim that I enjoyed reading this book. I struggled to get through the first half, but I found that my interest grew afterwards and I *almost* enjoyed reading the rest.

This book got me thinking about my own beliefs about love, a topic I generally avoid thinking about, so I've got to give credit for that. ( )
  rcgamergirl | Jul 27, 2009 |
The "Lawrentian ideal", the ubermann that Lawrence could never be, is an ugly experiment in repressed sexuality and impassioned masculism. ( )
  zappa | Jul 29, 2006 |

Lawrence, D. H.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aldington, RichardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A man leaves his wife and children behind and learns to play the flute.

Purchase of this book includes free trial access to www.million-books.com where you can read more than a million books for free. This is an OCR edition with typos. Excerpt from book: CHAPTER III It is remarkable how many odd or extraordinary people there are in England. We hear continual complaints of the stodgy dullness of the English. It would be quite as just to complain of their freakish, unusual characters. Only en masse the metal is all Britannia. In an ugly little mining town we find the odd ones just as distinct as anywhere else. Only it happens that dull people invariably meet dull people, and odd individuals always come across odd individuals, no matter where they may be. So that to each kind society seems all of a piece. At one end of the dark tree-covered Shottle Lane stood the "Royal Oak" public house; and Mrs. Houseley was certainly an odd woman. At the other end of the lane was Shottle House, where the Bricknells lived; the Bricknells were odd, also. Alfred Bricknell, the old man, was one of the partners in the Colliery firm. His English was incorrect, his accent, broad Derbyshire, and he was not a gentleman in the snobbish sense of the word. Yet he was well-to-do, and very stuck-up. His wife was dead. Shottle House stood two hundred yards beyond New Brunswick Colliery. The colliery was imbedded in a plantation, whence its burning pit-hill glowed, fumed, and stank sulphur in the nostrils of the Bricknells. Even war-time efforts had not put out this refuse fire. Apart from this, Shottle House was a pleasant square house, rather old, with shrubberies and lawns. It ended the lane in a dead end. Only a field-path trekked away to the left. On this particular Christmas Eve Alfred Bricknell had only two of his children at home. Of the others, one daughter was unhappily married, and away in India weeping herself thinner;another was nursing her babies in Streatham. Jim, the hope of the house, and Julia, now married to Robert Cunningham, ha...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:35 -0400)

Abandoning his wife and children, Aaron Sisson leaves the mining community in pursuit of the 'life single': individual freedom, personal friendship, the 'male power' of passion and art. Playing the flute to pay his way he travels to post-war London, where he mixes with the modern Bohemian set and finds male friendship in Rawdon Lilly. Further travels take him to Milan and Florence ('a town of men') preoccupied with thoughts on the decline of humanity from the Renaissance to the modern age. For Aaron, in his own way, is striving to save civilization. Aaron's Rod was completed in 1921 but was then censored by Lawrence's publishers. This edition of the novel, based on the only authoritative surviving typescript, restores these cut passages and eliminates the errors of previous editions.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,377,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible