The Murders of Molly Southbourne (2017)

by Tade Thompson

Series: Molly Southbourne (1)

The rule is simple: don't bleed. For as long as Molly Southbourne can remember, she's been watching herself die. Whenever she bleeds, another molly is born, identical to her in every way and intent on her destruction.Molly's parents trained her well. She knows every way to kill herself, she knows how to butcher mollys for easy disposal, but she also knows that as long as she survives she'll be hunted. No matter how well she follows the rules, eventually the mollys will find her. Can Molly find a way to stop the tide of blood, or will she meet her end at the hand of a girl who looks just like her?… (more)

English (23)  French (1)  All languages (24)
Original and interesting concept. I'd love to see it turned into a movie. ( )
  _Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
4.5 ( )
  MagpieBricolage | Jul 17, 2021 |
This was a quick read on a weekend morning. I thoroughly enjoyed the horror elements--neither too simple nor overly complicated--and I felt I was thoroughly in it alongside Molly. The erudition of the details were also frequently a delight. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
To be fair to Thompson, I had no idea what I was getting myself into with this book. I bought it because I love the Rosewater books, and other people have been saying good things about it.

The opening chapter of this book makes no sense on first read. However, near to the end of the book something became horribly clear, and I had to go back and reread that chapter. Given that it is the framing narrative of the whole story, it shouldn't have worked. And yet. I recommend people read the book before reading any reviews.

Although novella/novelette length, this is a lush and convoluted story with so much detailed world-building and characterisation leaked to the reader a droplet at a time. As a horror story, it works on multiple fascinating levels. The surface level body horror is flagged in the blurb on the back of the book. Some of that can be quite visceral.

But in the background is a barely recognised societal and environmental collapse happening. The little bits of that the creep in are sadly entirely credible as the way that life is going. ( )
1 vote fred_mouse | Apr 2, 2021 |
Pros: interesting premise, compelling protagonist

Cons:

Every time Molly Southbourne bleeds, she creates doppelgangers that try to kill her.

The novella takes this fascinating premise and explains how Molly grew up, how her parents taught her to kill her doppelgangers, and how she survives into adulthood. It’s a weird and horrifying story that’s hard to look away from.

Molly goes through a series of emotional ups and downs as she grows, finally becoming mostly emotionless as an adult as the reality of constantly fighting herself takes its toll. The stages she goes through, of rebellion and trauma, fit her circumstances and make her compelling even if it’s hard to see yourself in her place.

The book is the perfect length to tell her story. There’s enough detail to give it weight and the ending is punchy. I’m curious where the sequel takes the story. ( )
  Strider66 | Mar 9, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is abridged in

With each failure, each insult, each wound to the psyche, we are created anew. This new self is who we must battle each day or face extinction of the spirit.
WRITINGS ON THE NATURAL HISTORY OF THE MIND
THEOPHILUS ROSHODAN, 1789
For Hunter,
Pectus est quod disertos facit.
I wake into a universe defined by pain.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,331,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible