Five Little Peppers and How They Grew (1881)

by Margaret Sidney

Series: Five Little Peppers (1)

A fatherless family, happy in spite of its impoverished condition, is befriended by a very rich gentleman.
Recently added byStTimothys, finchfamily, private library, melrand, HB22, shananana07, Mrs.Vincent, MoulsonFamily, EDenton
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (peppermint82)
    Little Men by Louisa May Alcott (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Five Little Peppers reminded me strongly of Alcott's writing, and the story is closest to that of Little Men, as it chronicles the adventures and misadventures of a pack of well-meaning but high-spirited children.
    All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor (Imprinted)
    Seven Little Australians by Ethel Turner (HollyMS)

The story of the Pepper family as they lived, learned, worked, and played in their little brown house in the country. Also a story about the struggle for survival in a time of poverty.
  esthernelsonma2 | Mar 3, 2021 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
This book took me forever to finish and I finished it in starts and fits. I was supposed to read this a few months ago for Dead Writers Society genre challenge and never got back to it in time. So I don't count this book towards the genre challenge since I didn't finish it in the month I was supposed to, but dang I want something for finishing this.

"Five Little Peppers" is about Mrs. Pepper and her five children, Ben, Polly, Joel, Davie, and Phronsie. The family is not doing very well since Mr. Pepper has died. Mrs. Pepper is a seamstress of some sort and is doing what she can to keep her family fed and under one roof. Too bad her kids ask repeatedly for things that they have to know their mother can't afford and just at times act like jerks.

I really couldn't get a handle on everyone. The book really doesn't flow together very well. This whole thing felt like a collection that was than wrapped up into one book. Some chapters work well together, and others do not.

I didn't really care for the writing probably because Ms. Sidney chose to write the book in the way that some young kids speak at certain ages. It drove me crazy sometimes to work out what someone like Davie or Phronsie was trying to say.

The flow was not great because once again not all chapters flowed into each other naturally. And there was a bigger problem as I said that the book as a whole did not feel as cohesive as it should have. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Facsimile reprint. New York : William Morrow, 1976Ex-lib. AADL ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
Read Harder Challenge 2018: a children's classic published before 1980 ( )
  chauveaux | Sep 11, 2019 |

Margaret Sidneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cooney, BarbaraIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martin, Ann M.Forewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sharp, WilliamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vega, LisaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my mother; wise in counsel - tender in judgement , and in all charity - strengthful in Christian faith and purpose - I dedicate, with reverence, this simple book.
The little old kitchen had quieted down from the bustle and confusion of midday; and now, with its afternoon manners on, presented a holiday aspect, that as the principal room in the brown house, it was eminently proper it should have.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101239, 1400111277

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,857,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible