Five Little Peppers and How They Grew by…

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew (1881)

by Margaret Sidney

Series: Five Little Peppers (1)

Recently added byprivate library, wildkaisses, BeiraUnited, LauGib, andael, RempelHome, heidihawkins2006, thefirstdark
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (peppermint82)
    Little Men by Louisa May Alcott (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Five Little Peppers reminded me strongly of Alcott's writing, and the story is closest to that of Little Men, as it chronicles the adventures and misadventures of a pack of well-meaning but high-spirited children.
    All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor (Imprinted)
    Seven Little Australians by Ethel Turner (HollyMS)

This is one of my favorite books from childhood and, in a fit of readerly nostalgia, I decided to re-read it for the first time in decades.

You can't go home again.

I could see why I loved this book as a child but, oh does it have some issues. There are two single-parent households with no explanation as to what happened to the missing parents. Characters drop into the story with no introduction, just all of a sudden "Bob" is there and you're wondering who the hell "Bob" is. My largest issue with this book, though, lies in the idea of the rich older man swooping in and "rescuing" the Peppers from their poor-but-happy existence because he has a deep affection for a four-year-old. (I'm not sure if he offers to marry Mrs. Pepper or hire her as his housekeeper. Maybe they're one and the same to him. And I really don't want to think too deeply about his deep, immediate affection for Phronsie.)

I'm not giving this a star rating because grade school me gives it five stars with sparkles and rainbows and adult me would be feeling generous to give it two stars.
  BillieBook | Nov 20, 2018 |
One of my favorite reads from my childhood. ( )
  terran | Jul 30, 2018 |
Loved it when I was a child, but perhaps a bit moralistic now. ( )
  deckla | Jun 21, 2018 |
Oh! Oh! Oh! I loved the little Peppers when I was a girl!! ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
I have not yet read this book.
  LynneQuan | Sep 25, 2017 |

Margaret Sidneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cooney, BarbaraIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martin, Ann M.Forewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sharp, WilliamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vega, LisaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my mother; wise in counsel - tender in judgement , and in all charity - strengthful in Christian faith and purpose - I dedicate, with reverence, this simple book.
The little old kitchen had quieted down from the bustle and confusion of midday; and now, with its afternoon manners on, presented a holiday aspect, that as the principal room in the brown house, it was eminently proper it should have.

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew

Margaret Sidney

Polly and Ben Pepper are full of secret plans to surprise Mamsie. But it's hard to come up with ideas for presents when there isn't even enough money for the children to go to school.

Since their father died, the five Pepper children and their mother have been living in poverty, with only potatoes and brown bread for supper. Ben chops wood to help support the family, and Polly looks after the little ones while their mother earns what she can by sewing. The Peppers are so poor, they've never even had a Christmas. But from measles to monkeys, through bad times and good, the cozy kitchen in the little brown house rings with laughter and hope.

Then, just when a misadventure nearly leads to tragedy, a boy named Jasper King tumbles into their lives. Can good fortune be far behind?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:27 -0400)

In New England in the late nineteenth-century, a fatherless family, happy in spite of its impoverished condition, is befriended by a very rich gentleman and his young son.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101239, 1400111277

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,073,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible