Little Men by Louisa May Alcott

Little Men (1871)

by Louisa May Alcott

Series: Little Women (2)

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (GeorgiaDawn)
    Selected Writings of the American Transcendentalists by George Hochfield (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Contains writings by Louisa May's father on educational theory
    Five Little Peppers and How They Grew by Margaret Sidney (foggidawn)
    Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy by Horatio Alger Jr. (BonnieJune54)
    BonnieJune54: both works are written in the same style and include street boys of the era.

I enjoyed reading this again. The story is not as familiar as Little Women. But I enjoyed the boys. Of course a good character dies a peaceful death.
The children give a description of the story of the first thanksgiving that would now be considered politically incorrect in its view of the Native Americans. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jan 27, 2019 |
I did not enjoy this book as much as I did Little Women. This book followed a group of orphan boys that were looked after by Jo from Little Women and her husband the Professor. The novel almost acts as a book of short stories as each chapter acts as a separate short lesson through an experience of some of the boys. These lessons were great yet simple in nature, and while I enjoyed reading about them, there was nothing in the book that had me wanting to keep turning pages. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Little Men follows the characters of Little Women after Jo marries Professor Behar and opens her school at Plumstead. The sisters are still all in the novel, but they are now relegated to the role of gown-ups.

Mostly this story centers on the boys in Jo's school with the various vignettes all highlighting some moral story for young people. This book is harmless, but lacks the universal appeal of Little Women. ( )
  etxgardener | Mar 18, 2018 |
While Little Women - Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy, and Good Wives - was a wholesome and feel-good as ever, Little Men and Jo's Boys were a sore disappointment. Sadly, the theological commentary was heavy, and the characterization that made the first two installments so endearing was sadly absent, and the plot seemed underdeveloped. For as much as I loved Little Women, I almost wish I hadn't read Little Men and Jo's Boys, because how pale it was in comparison to the original story; it almost ruined the whole thing. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
Little Men by Louisa May Alcott is another childhood favorite of mine and although it has been some time, this is probably my fourth or fifth rereading of the story. This book covers a year of the experimental school at Plumfield run by Jo and Fritz Bhaer. Allowing “boys to be boys” the students are encouraged to follow their individual talents, play hard yet spend equal time in study and chores. The Bhaers provide the guidance and love that is needed to ensure that their students thrive. There are fourteen boys, and a couple of girls. They are engaging and fun to read about and are all completely different from one another such as “wild boy” Dan, lively, engaging Tommy and on the female side willful, spirited Nan and quiet, gentle Daisy.

I did notice during this reread that the Jo March of Little Woman had quite disappeared and “Mother Bhaer “ had taken her place. It’s only been 10 years yet Jo seems firmly settled into middle age and her domestic role. Other than one scene where she climbs up into a tree with one of the boys, she doesn’t seem like the high spirited, adventurous Jo that I remember. This issue is addressed at the end of the book however, with Jo imploring Laurie not to pity her for the life she leads rather than the one she planned to have when she was young. I felt this illustrated how many of us plan one life only to end up leading a totally different one.

While, for me, Little Men didn’t quite have the magic that Little Women has, it is nevertheless a classic piece of American literature mixing Christian values, views of childhood and unorthodox teaching methods to produce a very readable if somewhat dated book. Plumfield remains a school that I wished I had been able to attend so appealing are it’s inhabitants. ( )
2 vote DeltaQueen50 | Mar 9, 2017 |

Louisa May Alcottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Birch, Reginald BathurstIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burd, Clara M.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorsline, Douglas W.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hess, Erwin L.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Stockum, HildaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Freddy and Johnny, the little men to whom she owes some of the best and happiest hours of her life, this book is gratefully dedicated by their loving Aunt Weedy
"Please, sir, is this Plumfield?" asked a ragged boy of the man who opened the great gate at which the omnibus left him.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451529359, Mass Market Paperback)

The beloved sequel to Little Women, this classic continues the story of Jo March, who goes on to get married and inherit an estate with which she creates an experimental school for boys.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:50 -0400)

Follows the adventures of Jo March and her husband Professor Bhaer as they try to make their school for boys a happy, comfortable, and stimulating place.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140367136, 0451532236

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,085,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible