Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe by Melissa…

Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe

by Melissa De la Cruz

I like the idea of it all with switching up the characters and making Pemberly a town/city. It’s suppose to be an adult book but it read like a teen/juvenile book. I wanted to throat punch most of the characters during the duration of the book and it was a little corny.

I also tried reading a book by this author before and couldn’t get pasted the first chapter. I should have learned my lesson with that but I’m a sucker for pride and prejudice retellings. ( )
  Martha.Louise.Owen | Apr 23, 2018 |
It's a pity, because there's a good story somewhere here. Despite the atrocious star rating at Goodreads I thought I'd give this book a chance anyway. A gender-swapped 'Pride and Prejudice' set in the modern day? That just sounded like such a good premise I couldn't resist.

Darcy Fitzwilliam is a 29 year old hedgefund superstar. She left Pemberly, Ohio after not wanting to deal with her family or the drama or her past or be tied to her hometown and money. However, her mother has become ill and it's time to return home and face the ghosts of the past. And from there we get romance shenanigans, younger siblings who are a hassle, disappointed parents, drunken kisses and an eventual happy ending, relatively speaking.

As a concept it was really great. Author Melissa de la Cruz did a good job in updating the P&P storyline without trying too hard to shovel all the characters and story elements into a modern setting, which I thought was a problem with Curtis Sittenfeld's 'Eligible'. Some of the issues in Austen's day wouldn't really have the same impact or create the same problems today so the "younger sibling gone astray" trope had an interesting twist which I thought was a good change. How that particular story thread gets resolved was not particularly realistic though.

Which brings me a problem with the book. Maybe flipping this around made the story seem more like a "rich people problems" type of book (which I don't care for) but I was skeptical of how "younger siblings gone astray" was resolved by Darcy. That money was the tool was fine but as Darcy is pretty much a stranger (despite being a member of a very wealthy family) just made it a bit too convenient. It could have worked but unfortunately de la Cruz didn't quite close that deal.

Which is sort of an ongoing theme. The book starts well and the premise is great. But the characters are often incredibly annoying and there were times where I wondered if I was reading a book aimed at YA readers instead. The author couldn't quite decide to make Darcy a vulnerable young woman who has to grow up emotionally or just an outright jerk, which may have less to do with intent and more of the writing not quite forming most of the characters very well.

It kept me reading since I was curious enough to care to see how everything was resolved but that may have been my fondness of the original that made me wonder how this would work itself out. I think a 2.5 rating for me is closest: there's a wonderful book here but unfortunately it seems like a first draft is what ended up being printed and there was no editor to really sit down and draw out what could have been an excellent retelling. I wouldn't be surprised if this gets adapted into a miniseries or movie, though. Definitely borrow from the library if you really want to read it but it's also fine to skip it entirely. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
Pride and Prejudice plus mistletoe plus Melissa De La Cruz equals holiday bliss. I picked up Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe one night to read a chapter or two and ended up practically reading the whole book in one sitting. De La Cruz is a master at creating novels that are hard to put down. In this book, she re-imagines Pride and Prejudice in a modern-day setting with characters you'll fall in love with.

Darcy Fitzwilliam left home to make a name for herself. And she did. She wanted to get as far away from Pemberley, Ohio as possible. She hasn't come home in years, but when her mother falls ill, she hops on a plane and goes back to her old stomping ground just in time for her parents annual Christmas party. With a few drinks under her belt, Darcy kisses Luke Bennet. Someone she definitely does not want to end up with. But she can't stop thinking about the carpenter. She's a big city gal and he's a small town furniture designer. Is it just a one night stand, or could this be exactly what Darcy needs.

I love that De La Cruz swapped genders for the main characters. I've read many Pride and Prejudice variations, and this small detail really made it fresh. She managed to capture the essence of Jane Austen's character while making them her own. I highly recommend this book for cozy winter reading. This is a fun novel that will keep you warm through the holidays!

Read more at http://www.toreadornottoread.net/2017/11/review-pride-and-prejudice-and.html#C0P... ( )
  mt256 | Jan 5, 2018 |
I thought this was a lot of fun for a slight holiday read. Darcy Fitzwilliam left Pemberley, Ohio behind years ago to make it big in NYC. Summoned home by her mother's poor health this holiday season, we see how clever De la Cruz is in twisting this familiar story. The Bennet family had all boys. Darcy's best friend Bingley falls for oldest Bennet Jim at a holiday party while Darcy lands under the mistletoe with the highly unsuitable Luke. ( )
  ethel55 | Dec 2, 2017 |
This book will make a lovely holiday chick flick, as it seems it is destined to do, but I found it to be rushed and under developed. A relatively simple story about rich families and trouble finding love, or rather, a rich woman settling for a mate she doesn’t truly love due to perceived family pressures. This was a classic read about a boy getting the girl that is determined as “out of his league.” This whole book reeked of #FirstWorldProblems from the first page to the last and while it was certainly cheesy (which is actually okay for me), it was rushed to execution and irritated me throughout with its rich people problems.

If you are looking to escape into a holiday chick flick, I advise waiting to catch this one on the lifetime holiday schedule (as it was picked up as movie rights). Until then, we still have Thanksgiving to survive before the Christmas music, books and movies can really begin.

For the full review, please visit: https://fortheloveofthepageblog.wordpress.com

*Disclaimer: A review copy of this book was provided by NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  JillRey | Nov 22, 2017 |

Darcy Fitzwilliam is 29, beautiful, successful, and brilliant. She dates hedge funders and basketball stars and is never without her three cellphones-one for work, one for play, and one to throw at her assistant. Darcy's never fallen in love, never has time for anyone else's drama, and never goes home for Christmas if she can help it. But when her mother falls ill, she comes home to Pemberley, Ohio, to spend the season with her family. Her parents throw their annual Christmas bash, where she meets one Luke Bennet, the smart, sardonic slacker son of their neighbor. Luke is 32-years-old and has never left home. He's a carpenter and makes beautiful furniture, and is content with his simple life. He comes from a family of five brothers, each one less ambitious than the other. When Darcy and Luke fall into bed after too many eggnogs, Darcy thinks it's just another one night stand. But why can't she stop thinking of Luke? What is it about him? And can she fall in love, or will her pride and his prejudice against big-city girls stand in their way?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,291,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible