Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe

by Melissa De la Cruz

Darcy Fitzwilliam is 29, beautiful, successful, and brilliant. She dates hedge funders and basketball stars and is never without her three cellphones-one for work, one for play, and one to throw at her assistant. Darcy's never fallen in love, never has time for anyone else's drama, and never goes home for Christmas if she can help it. But when her mother falls ill, she comes home to Pemberley, Ohio, to spend the season with her family. Her parents throw their annual Christmas bash, where she meets one Luke Bennet, the smart, sardonic slacker son of their neighbor. Luke is 32-years-old and has never left home. He's a carpenter and makes beautiful furniture, and is content with his simple life. He comes from a family of five brothers, each one less ambitious than the other. When Darcy and Luke fall into bed after too many eggnogs, Darcy thinks it's just another one night stand. But why can't she stop thinking of Luke? What is it about him? And can she fall in love, or will her pride and his prejudice against big-city girls stand in their way?… (more)

ZERO stars

A retelling of Pride and Prejudice (no surprise there, given the title), set in current day Pemberly, Ohio. Darcy Fitzwilliams is a self-made hedge-fund manager / partner returning home to her estranged family when her mother has a heart attack. Of course she runs into Luke Bennett, oldest brother of the Bennett clan, and sparks fly … along with regrets, misconceptions, arguments, etc. The other Austen characters are here as well (sort of). Bingley Charles is Darcy’s best friend, who meets and falls head-over-heels in love with Jim Bennett (Luke’s brother, a/k/a Jane). Charlotte Collins is a mishmash of Mr Collins, Charlotte Lucas, and Ann Lady Catherine’s deBourgh’s daughter.

Reading this was real torture. It seems the de la Cruz was just trying too hard to fit the classic situations into this modern story. Of course, I’ve seen a Hallmark Christmas Movie that is similar … but actually much better in terms of plot and character development (and that’s really saying something, since the HC movies are NOT known for character development or plot).

Oh, well, it satisfied several challenges, and it was a quick read. ( )
  BookConcierge | Nov 18, 2020 |
I read this for the "Set During A Holiday" part of my 2019 reading challenge. I didn't like it, Luke was no substitute for Elizabeth and Darcy was really weak and dramatic. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
As a fan of this author and of the classic Pride and Prejudice, I began reading this one with pretty high expectations. However, I was disappointed.

While the writing was as good as expected, I found myself simply not enjoying the story. ( )
  BookGeekBeth | Jan 6, 2020 |
Theme:
The theme of the book is love.

Plot Summary:
This book a Pride and Prejudce book with gender roles switched. Darcy in this book is the girl and Jim Bennett is the boy. Darcy is a high powered attorney who comes home for the holidays because her mom just had a heart attack. She has not been home in 8 years due to her father and her getting into a fight. Her dad wanted her to marry Carl, a boy from one of the wealthiest families in town. She did not want to so she left and didn't look back until now. She comes home and at her mom's Christmas party, she runs into an old acquaintance from high school, Luke. They kiss under the mistletoe and Darcy starts having feelings for Luke. Darcy and Luke think that it won't work and they both get engaged to other people. Darcy tries to get Jim back but she Luke turns her away (his finance tells him to). She goes to New York with Carl and realizes there that though she can't have Luke, she still does not want to marry Carl. She breaks it off and goes back home to help Luke's brothers. She gets them out of being expelled from school and pays for any property damage they have and will do to the school. In the end Luke realizes he was wrong about Darcy. He didn't think he had a chance with Darcy. They end up living happily every after.

Personal Response:
This book is a good modern story based on "Pride and Prejudice". The events are different in detail, but the reasons behind the events are the same. I thought the book did a good job of making the events of Jane Austen's story into a modern twist. I like how the book was in Darcy's point of view. You get to see how Darcy in Jane Austen's book might have thought.

Curricular Connection:
Students could compare and contrast Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" with this story. They could also compare Darcy with Darcy and Lizzy with Luke. Students could also think of other ways they could have modernized the "Pride and Prejudice" story. ( )
  megan00233 | Nov 10, 2019 |
DNF.

The idea for this is amazing, a modern gender swap P&P at Christmastime. I was so onboard. But the characters read like a bunch of young teens instead of 30-year-olds, and all that is known about our lead is she is into about every guy that has breathed her way and she is a super wealthy hedgefund manager who makes really big deals, and when she is absent she looses really big deals. I am not kidding. That is the scope of the research on that. Oh, and a young successful 29-year-old hedge fund manager on the cusp of losing a really big deal would hang up the phone because a friend is outside with his current insta love partner. I can't. I can't. I won't. I got pretty far, but not far enough to give this a star rating so I will just say my peace and move on.
  Jonez | Oct 24, 2019 |
For Mike and Mattie, always
A Taylor Swift cover of "Last Christmas", originally recorded by Wham! in 1986, strummed from the stereo of the sleek, black town car, where Darcy was sitting in the backseat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,125,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible