And Four to Go

by Rex Stout

Series: Nero Wolfe (30)

Nero Wolfe must track down a killer who murders his victims only during holidays and who, so far, has left Wolfe with four puzzling cases to unravel.

Four solid, interesting short stories featuring Wolfe and Goodwin ( )
  EricCostello | Mar 9, 2021 |
Always solid - easy to read and enjoyable when you're looking for a little escape. ( )
  tgraettinger | Oct 28, 2020 |
Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe mysteries are my go-to books when I need the familiar. Archie's wit never fails to amuse me, Nero's irritability towards his fellow human beings also amuses me. And Four to Go is a collection of the stories; Christmas Story, Easter Parade, Fourth of July Picnic and Murder is no Joke. If you like to read holiday themed stories at the holidays, this is a good book to have on hand.

In Christmas Story, Archie gets into a bind, and Wolfe must rescue him. Easter Parade has Wolfe in a bind, and Archie helps him out. Fourth of July Picnic has them both in a bind, and they must solve the murder before they end up in detention themselves. Murder is no Joke is a more traditional Nero Wolfe mystery, but again, no client, and Wolfe must show that he is not a patsy. ( )
2 vote MrsLee | Sep 25, 2018 |
Here we've got a set of four short stories, three of which revolve around holidays:

Christmas Party finds Archie trying to teach Wolfe a lesson about making assumptions, which embroils them both in murder when a textile designer (and former client) is poisoned at his firm's holiday fête.

Wolfe goes to drastic lengths to secure a sample of a rare orchid hybrid in Easter Parade, once again landing Archie in hot water when a wealthy woman is killed right in front of him on Fifth Avenue.

Fourth of July Picnic takes Wolfe out of the brownstone and into the wilds of Long Island when he reluctantly agrees to be the keynote speaker at a gathering of food-service union members. When a union official is killed, it's up to the big man and his sassy sidekick to finger the culprit before the law fingers them.

And finally, in Murder Is No Joke Wolfe uses a clever (and now obsolete) telephone trick first to prove that a murder occurred and then to solve it.

Generally speaking, I don't love the Wolfe shorts as much as I do the full-length novels. They put an emphasis on plot that Stout's abilities can't always carry off, his strength to me lying in his well-drawn characters and ear for dialogue. But there's nothing really wrong with any of these, other than they leave me wanting more. ( )
3 vote rosalita | May 14, 2018 |
Four short stories with Nero Wolf and Archie Goodwin. I like the longer books rather than the short stories. These four stories did not give me the satisfaction of watching Nero and Archie outwit the police and solve the murders. Three of the stories revolve around holidays and the last is based on Cramer's quote. I liked Murder is No Joke the best because it showed more of Archie and Nero figuring out what was wrong with a series of events in the story ( )
  Sheila1957 | Nov 4, 2016 |

Rex Stoutprimary authorall editionscalculated
Haddam, JaneIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hallman, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prichard, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I'm sorry, sir," I said.

This short story collection consists of "Christmas Party", "Easter Parade", "Fourth of July Picnic", and "Murder Is No Joke".

Legacy Library: Rex Stout

Rex Stout has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rex Stout's legacy profile.

See Rex Stout's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,400,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible