The Last Wish (1993)

by Andrzej Sapkowski

Series: The Witcher (1)

4,2011512,163 (3.94)147
Geralt de Riv, a witcher, uses his vast sorcerous powers to hunt down the monsters that threaten the world, but he soon discovers that not every monstrous-looking creature is evil, and not everything beautiful is good.
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (bookgirlokc)
    The Miscreant by Brock E. Deskins (JessiAdams)
    JessiAdams: Both are clever adventure fantasy series with some magic and a main character who goes to great lengths to save the world. Both also have moments of laugh out loud hilarity.
    Blood and Fog by Kaeleb LD Appleby (kaeleb)

English (136)  Finnish (5)  German (3)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (151)
I rather enjoyed this book. I have played the games and I have started the Netflix series, but I felt like this is a book I should have read a long time ago. Honestly, it was a fast read, but there were times I was confused about the time period of some stories. It just jumped around a lot and it was difficult to follow unless you really understood what was happening. I am going to go on an read the next book in the series. ( )
  klcarmack | Nov 12, 2021 |
Yes, I admit that I read this book because of the Netflix show. I really enjoyed this book and all of the stories in it. I recognized so many from the show. ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
actual vote: 4.5 stars.

Geralt di Rivia sembra essere un personaggio molto interessante, perspicace e pieno di segreti. Il racconto più bello è stato "L'ultimo desiderio" in cui si narra l'incontro tra lo strigo e Yennefer, una potente maga.
L'autore rivisita le fiabe in modo piuttosto originale: lo fa dal punto di vista di Geralt, ne prende alcuni elementi e li applica ai suoi personaggi modificandone gli eventi. a me le rivisitazioni delle favole non mi piacciono per niente, però queste non mi sono dispiaciute. ( )
  Sara_Lucario | Oct 19, 2021 |
Firstly, as the pedant I am, I'm going to complain over this frequently being called an "Anthology". It's not, and calling it such does no justice to the skill employed by the writer. There's a clear main narrative thread throughout, with flashbacks to various important events in the protagonist's history. I loved this technique, as it allowed for a great deal of exposition in manageable chunks, while teasing the details of various characters that we're not ready to fully meet in this first volume.

It is easy to take the author's creativity for granted. The world is fully-formed, and although I entered it with plenty of prior knowledge (being familiar with both the TV show and the games), I found the additional depth offered in the pages here to be a delight. The translation is commendable, and the slow and deliberate pace of the writing allows for luscious, vibrant, gritty, visceral descriptions of the world to come forward. The characterisations are excellent.

I won't begrudge the images of Henry Cavill in my mind's eye, but I wish I had started the books before watching the TV show; while faithful to the source material, the show seems to have rammed the content of several books into just a few episodes.

It's certainly not for everyone. There's gore, sex, violence, and a lot of weird stuff going on. But for me, it's an absolute no-brainer 5 star rating. I devoured this over a weekend, and I'm immediately itching to get hold of the rest. ( )
  Katrana | Oct 13, 2021 |
3.5 stars
Really liked the Beauty and the Beast reference. Wasn't expecting Geralt to run into the Beast or even for the Beast to be so confident in his (new) body. It was also very funny!
I like the explanation for the girl in the tower. Why were they put there in the first place? It makes sense that they would be dangerous.
Didn't like Snow White's story as much. It made it seem like her life was dedicated to revenge.
Overall, a funny but sometimes very wordy narrative. ( )
  _Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |

Andrzej Sapkowskiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Belletti, RaffaellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kenny, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stok, DanusiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She came to him toward morning.
Contains 7 short stories. do not combine with 5 story editions.

Geralt the Witcher—revered and hated—is a man whose magic powers, enhanced by long training and a mysterious elixir, have made him a brilliant fighter and a merciless assassin. Yet he is no ordinary murderer: his targets are the multifarious monsters and vile fiends that ravage the land and attack the innocent.

But not everything monstrous-looking is evil and not everything fair is good... and in every fairy tale there is a grain of truth.

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0575077832, 0316029181

Hachette Book Group

An edition of this book was published by Hachette Book Group.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,456,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible