The Last Wish (1993)

by Andrzej Sapkowski

Series: The Witcher (1)

Geralt de Riv, a witcher, uses his vast sorcerous powers to hunt down the monsters that threaten the world, but he soon discovers that not every monstrous-looking creature is evil, and not everything beautiful is good.
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (bookgirlokc)
    The Miscreant by Brock E. Deskins (JessiAdams)
    JessiAdams: Both are clever adventure fantasy series with some magic and a main character who goes to great lengths to save the world. Both also have moments of laugh out loud hilarity.
    Blood and Fog by Kaeleb LD Appleby (kaeleb)

English (165)  Finnish (5)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (181)
Having watched season one of the Netflix show before reading this, I was worried I'd end up comparing this to the show too much. However, I find the show was surprisingly faithful to the original stories and even carried the right tone and atmosphere to the screen, so there wasn't any great dissonance between the screen and the text.

I'm not generally a huge fantasy fan, so for me to give a fantasy book 5 stars would really require something extraordinary. This one was "just" good. I have a feeling I'll really like the more cohesive novels even more (once I get to them) so as a set up, this is a really nice read. ( )
  tuusannuuska | Dec 1, 2022 |
⭐️ 3.5

Okay many thoughts on this book, and most of them good. First off, I was really surprised by how much less brusque Geralt is in the book compared to the show. There were times when he joked and chatted like a regular human, and now at this moment I’m understanding that he wanted to act that way in order to fit in and because he misses his humanity. Anyway, I was also surprised by Geralt and Dandelion’s super friendly—almost brotherly, actually—relationship. By the way, Jaskier is a MUCH better name than Dandelion. His whole character was very different from his character in the show. I felt like Dandelion was much smarter and more witty than his Jaskier counterpart. He was also a bit less perv-y, or at least his habits weren’t mentioned as much. There were many more little things that surprised me, but the main storyline was exactly perfect. The show followed it almost exactly. Unlike the show, I wish we had gotten more backstory on Ciri and Yennefer’s characters since Ciri wasn’t mentioned at all and Yennefer was mentioned only for a short time. Overall this was very good, if not a bit slow and a bit wordy. It’s not like every other word is a what-is-this-word-I’ve-never-seen-it-before, but it was just older sounding writing that’s all. Defiantly am excited to continue with the series and watch the upcoming season 2 of the show! ( )
  EvelynNygren | Nov 17, 2022 |
The first Witcher volume (chronologically) is also the best of the entire series. The great - in fact spectacular - world-building does emerge only later, but the early stories are far the tightest-written & most archetypal. ( )
1 vote nielspeterqm | Nov 12, 2022 |
The Last Wish is a uniquely compiled book that consists of short stories with over-arching interludes that connect them together. If you've watched the Netflix series, you will be familiar with several of these stories. It's well worth coming along for the ride with Geralt, Dandelion (Jaskier), and Yennefer. ( )
  RsReading | Nov 7, 2022 |
Wish I knew polish because the translation was awful ( )
  leontines | Nov 3, 2022 |

Weiss, SamuelSprechersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, AllenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Вайсброт, Евгений ПавловичTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
הלפרן, עילימתרגםsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She came to him toward morning.
Contains 7 short stories. do not combine with 5 story editions.

Geralt the Witcher—revered and hated—is a man whose magic powers, enhanced by long training and a mysterious elixir, have made him a brilliant fighter and a merciless assassin. Yet he is no ordinary murderer: his targets are the multifarious monsters and vile fiends that ravage the land and attack the innocent.

But not everything monstrous-looking is evil and not everything fair is good... and in every fairy tale there is a grain of truth.

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0575077832, 0316029181

Hachette Book Group

An edition of this book was published by Hachette Book Group.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,148,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible