Rapture in Death (1996)

by J. D. Robb

Series: In Death (4), Eve Dallas Series (4)

They died with smiles on their faces. Three apparent suicides: a brilliant engineer, an infamous lawyer, and a controversial politician. Three strangers with nothing in common - and no obvious reasons for killing themselves. Police lieutenant Eve Dallas found the deaths suspicious. And her instincts paid off when autopsies revealed small burns on the brains of the victims. Was it a genetic abnormality or a high-tech method of murder? Eve's investigation turned to the provocative world of virtual reality games - where the same techniques used to create joy and desire could also prompt the mind to become the weapon of its own destruction . . .… (more)

Detective Eve Dallas and billionaire Roarke are married now, but the honeymoon is short lived. People are dying and Eve is convinced that their deaths aren’t the accident they initially appear to be. As always, this series so, SO works for me because the writing is very tight—sticking closely with a no nonsense police procedural, but also allowing just enough character development as the series develops that I’m quite attached to Eve, Roarke, Peabody, Mavis and all the regulars. There’s an interesting mystery to solve in each one. And Eve with her smart talk and grit is a kick butt main character I can’t read enough of.

Content Warning: suicide, rape

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
"A woman who steps out on a ledge is either very brave or very stupid."

The scowl turned into a sneer. "I don't have to ask what category you put me in."

"No, you don't." He watched her climb up and thought her courage was terrifying.

Winding down from her honeymoon with newly wed husband Roarke, Eve is unfortunately unable to fully separate herself from death. It follows her in her dreams and in reality. When people with no suicidal tendencies begin ending their lives naked and with smiles on their faces, Eve's gut cries foul play despite the cases.

Trigger Warnings: dubious consent/rape, mind control

I'll admit, this one had me guessing. Roberts led me as astray as she possibly could, but I'm not complaining. Roarke and Eve's dynamic is so absurdly wonderful to me, and I adore how much they can't get enough of each other while also simulatenously trying to let the other person still be themselves. They continue to learn more about each other and fall impossibly further in love.

Two minor qualms I have with this series though:
1) Eve works in the New York Police Department. Why is their funding so shitty? Why don't they have good equipment? It's a bit of an odd point for me.
2) The novels always end very abruptly; almost always directly after the criminal is caught and Eve walks/is carried away from the scene. It doesn't really let anything settle with the reader (at least imo)

Also I'm happy Roberts finally introduced a female criminal. ( )
  sraazad | Jul 1, 2021 |
In Death 04
  JimFellows | Mar 3, 2021 |
In Death 04
  JimFellows | Mar 3, 2021 |
In all long series, some books are just stronger than others. I couldn't get into this one for some reason. Worse, I sort thought Eve was a bit slow. Still, sort of nice to see her relationship with Peabody at and earlier stage and loved the Mavis storyline. All in all, not her best effort ( )
  Colleen5096 | Oct 29, 2020 |

J. D. Robbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Echevarría Pérez, AuroraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romaní, LolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
But I do nothing upon myself, and yet am mine own Executioner.

--John Donne
There is rapture on the lonely shore.

--Lord Byron
The alley was dark and stank of piss and vomit.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,132,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible