Dragonia: Rise of the Wyverns (Dragonia…

Dragonia: Rise of the Wyverns (Dragonia Empire) (Volume 1)

by Craig A. Price Jr.

751,615,808 (4.4)None

Devarius is at the center of this tale. His family was devastated when he was just a kid and his new village ruined by the Dragon Riders. Now he leads a small group of ~30 people to possible safety with the Resistance. Along the way, he makes an amazing discovery: Wyverns! This might just well be the answer to how to defeat the Dragon Riders, in time.

It’s a cute, quick story that incorporates many fantasy tropes. It’s fun brain candy that doesn’t take much thought to enjoy it. The story moves along quickly with little pause for character development or development of the world or magic systems.

The ladies don’t do much in this story and that was a disappointment. In the first half of the story, Devarius and his little group are being hunted and trying to locate the Resistance. Once they do find help, Devarius and his friend Paedyn are informed that their society is all about equality. Men and women of any ethnicity will be given equal opportunities. Yes! I was excited because I felt this would be a good way to force your characters into some growth. Alas, that is not what happens. The ladies are underrepresented for the entire story. Aquila, our main female character, is simply a romantic interest and doesn’t add to the plot at all. There is one female guard who has a name and even gets a few lines, but they are all of a flirtatious nature…. and then, poof! She’s gone. I felt the few nods to the ladies were added as after thoughts and their characters were never fully incorporated into the story.

The wyverns are fun but I wish their magical abilities had a bit more depth. They come in different colors and each color corresponds to a different ability. Pretty straight forward and simplistic. I hope the story develops this further in the next book.

Devarius gets some sword training and he sets his heart on having a special sword made: a mashup of the straight Bastard sword and a Flamberge (which has wavy edges). A local blacksmith (named predictably Smithy) puts a lot of thought and trial & error into creating this blade. A lot of time was spent on this and I felt it could have been shortened up to give more time for the basics of the story.

Aquila has skills with a bow, or so we are told. Again, I felt this was tacked on after the fact. While on the run from the Dragon Riders, the group needed food yet Aquila’s hunting skills (which she learned from her dad) aren’t ever used. In fact, we only hear about these skills long after the fact. Towards the end, Aquila once again has the opportunity to show off her skills by joining a fight against the Dragon Riders. However, Devarius won’t let her join in because he’d be too distracted worrying about her.

Sigh…. Devarius, that sounds like a ‘you’ problem and not Aquila’s problem. Someone wasn’t paying attention at the Gender Equality training.

All together, it’s a fun little piece of fiction that moves at a swift clip. Nothing deep here but it is entertaining. 3/5 stars.

The Narration: Reuben Corbett gives a really good performance on this narration. All of his characters have distinct voices and his female voices are believable. He makes a really good Devarius and I loved his impish Paedyn. I could always tell Paedyn was up to something by his voice. There were no technical issues with this recording. 5/5 stars.

I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by Craig A. Price Jr.. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Sep 24, 2018 |
I received a free book and am providing an honest review. This book brings you into the world of humans, dragons and wyverns. Tyranny meets resistance. The emperor goes from a man who does not want to fight to one who terrorizes everyone into submission. You meet characters who are forced to become fighters and defend themselves and others. I love the scene when Devarius meets his wyvern Ayla and helps the resistance fight back. This series is going to be a good series to read. I would recommend it to all sci-if readers who love dragons. ( )
  DianeTM | Aug 26, 2018 |
While I received an ARC of this book, I have made an independent decision to post this review. Galedar happens upon a transparent oval rock and picks it up. The next thing you know it hatches and he has a Wyvern! I really enjoyed this story! ( )
  Cheryl_Nolan | Jul 22, 2018 |
This one reminds me of why I love these types of books I stopped reading them because they changed so much..this one has me wanting more of them like this i really miss them fixing to start on next book I can't wait ( )
  DeniseWoodruffPA | Jul 16, 2018 |
This book is very well written. The story brings you right in to where I found myself not wanting to stop reading to find out what happens next. This story follows 3 friends who along with a group of people escape the massacre of a village thought to contain resistance fighters against the Dragon empire. Devarius, Aquila and Paedyn are the main characters in this story as they lead a group on their search for the "Resistance". The dragon empire with their dragon riders are in constant pursuit. The story moves along very well to keep the interest of the reader as it follows these 3 characters. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series. ( )
  scmerritt | Jan 13, 2018 |

Craig A. Price Jr. is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,787,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible