A Reporter's Life by Walter Cronkite

A Reporter's Life (1996)

by Walter Cronkite

Recently added byprivate library, deb.d, CarolinaRuth, RockinITGurl, jimcripps, LOLSCWAZ, Srini_53, TickseedAve
Legacy LibrariesPresidential Study (1997)

very good info — until end — a few sour grapes

He has been called the most trusted man in America. His 60-year-long journalistic career has spanned the Great Depression, several wars, and the extraordinary changes that have engulfed our nation over the last two-thirds of the 20th century. When Walter Cronkite advised his television audience in 1968 that the war in Vietnam could not be won, President Lyndon B. Johnson said: "If I've lost Cronkite, I've lost middle America."
  christinejoseph | Mar 30, 2016 |
Fantastic. Cronkite was an icon & actually lived up to his reputation. A fantastic reporter with real integrity. I was sorry this was abridged, but it was still really good. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Absolutely brilliant. Clear, lucid prose recounting some of the great turning points in history by a man who was there. Fare thee well, Walter; your kind is not seen but once in a generation. ( )
  tarliman.joppos | Aug 20, 2013 |
I grew up getting a good portion of my news from Walter Cronkite. The chief impression one gets from his on-air style is one of trust: You want to believe that he's telling you what he knows to be true. To the extent that you can believe an autobiography, that impression is borne out here, although he does admit to a couple of peccadilloes in the early days of his radio career that would get any newbie fired nowadays. "Uncle Walter" comes across here as an earnest man who takes journalism and its responsibilities seriously. The self-deprecating style here shows an occasional amusement that middle America takes him just as seriously. Of most interest to me was Cronkite's recollections of the major stories that he and his team informed America about, many of which I remember seeing him report. Being in elementary school, I missed his announcement of JFK's death; now I'll have to find it online. Cronkite wasn't above using his influence to shape the news. His negative comments about the course of the Vietnam war helped influence LBJ's decision not to seek re-election. And he was instrumental in getting Anwar Sadat to sit down and talk peace with Menachim Begin. Cronkite was a giant of American electronic journalism who contributed, albeit with regret, to the dominance of TV news over newspaper reporting. And he seems like a genuinely decent man, worthy of the trust that America bestowed upon him every night for years. ( )
1 vote burnit99 | Aug 19, 2013 |
Breezy and conversational, if not actually chatty. It's a whirlwind tour of the life of a newsman the likes of which we have never more desperately needed than we do right now.

The only flaw is that there were several events in his career that he seemed to touch on briefly that I would have liked to have seen expanded on, particularly his coverage of the space program, of which he was an unabashed admirer.

All in all, though, a fast and fascinating read. ( )
  trdsf | Oct 4, 2010 |
    For the 22 million who were there Monday through Friday . . .

And for Betsy, who has been there every night

And for the children and grandchildren, who have made something very special of a reporter's life:

Nancy

Kathy and Bill, and their William and Jack

Chip and Deborah, and their Walter IV and Peter
If, as they say, the threat of the hangman's noose has a powerful way of focusing one's attention, the same can be said of pregnancy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394578791, Hardcover)

Cronkite's prose has the same stately cadences as that famous voice, reinforcing the grandfatherly persona that made him America's most trusted anchorman until his retirement in 1981. He also has a dry sense of humor, so his memoirs are dignified rather than pompous. Chapters on the early days of radio and television broadcasting are colorful; the more episodic later portions contain some good anecdotes, plus a frank account of Cronkite's dismay at the direction CBS News took under Van Gordon Sauter. Just the book you'd expect from Uncle Walter.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:13 -0400)

From the age of six, when he went dashing down a hill to spread the news of President Harding's death through his Kansas City neighborhood, Walter Cronkite's vocation was unmistakable.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,629,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible