The Book of Boy by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

The Book of Boy

by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

Boy lives in a small village and has a mysterious hump on his back, which he gets made fun of for. He lives a normal life until Secondus, a pilgrim, takes him across Europe to search for seven relics of Saint Peter. He then realizes that they are actually stealing the relics and not discovering them innocently. He stays with Secondus and on the journey because he believes he might be turned normal like the other boys. This book could be something students read for a mysterious type of read. Going on the journey with Boy and Secondus could be entertaining. ( )
  Kayla_Bashkatova | Mar 18, 2019 |
A protagonist named "Boy", a few unusual gifts, and a quest to find the seven ancient relics of Saint Peter. This is the premise for The Book of Boy. The story is consistently engaging while remaining in good humor throughout. Boy serves as an admirable hero to the story and keeps the readers entertained with his good nature and innocent look towards life. ( )
  Mistian | Mar 11, 2019 |
A parable or a myth, this was an unexpected story. I was caught by surprise by its ending so don't plan to précis the story. I almost didn't review this book because I was so undecided how to evaluate it. It is not one I would choose to read to a child or recommend to the YA reader. That's quite a biased commentary, but the story was often murky for me. Normally I'm very fond of quests and journeys like this one. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Mar 10, 2019 |
Boy, a hunchback goatherd, is taken into service by a pilgrim in his way to Rome. The pilgrim is on a quest to recover seven relics of St. Peter, and needs Boy to help him. Along the way, the reader will learn that both travelers have their secrets...

I very much enjoyed this medieval quest tale. It's a quick read with some lovely moments and an interesting twist (I thought I knew Boy's secret after the second chapter, but as it turns out, I was quite wrong!). I'm not sure how much appeal it will have for kids, but it would make a good readaloud. And it's definitely the sort of book I'd recommend to adults who enjoy the occasional juvenile title. ( )
  foggidawn | Mar 5, 2019 |
Although packaged as a medieval quest book for children, this is basically a modern religious parable set in 1350 (specifically a Roman Catholic parable).

It really is just a pilgrimage tale set in a world where heaven, hell and saints are all very real. ( )
  rakerman | Feb 24, 2019 |

In 1350, a boy with a large hump on his back becomes the servant of a shadowy pilgrim on his way to Rome, who pulls the boy into a dangerous expedition across Europe to gather the seven precious relics of Saint Peter.--Provided by Publisher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,225,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible