Room to Dream by David Lynch

Room to Dream (2018)

by David Lynch, Kristine McKenna

"The extraordinary, highly anticipated memoir from visionary filmmaker David Lynch In this memoir, David Lynch, co-creator of Twin Peaks and writer and director of groundbreaking films like Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive, opens up about a lifetime of extraordinary creativity, the friendships he has made along the way and the struggles he has faced--sometimes successful, sometimes not--to bring his projects to fruition. Part-memoir, part-biography, Room to Dream interweaves Lynch's own reflections on his life with the story of those times, as told by Kristine McKenna, drawing from extensive and explosive interviews with ninety of Lynch's friends, family members, actors, agents, musicians, and collaborators. Lynch responds to each recollection and reveals the inner story of the life behind the art"--… (more)

To Read (565)

Room To Dream
by David Lynch & Kristine McKenna
2018
Canongate Books
3.9 / 5.0

I have been a fan of David Lynch for a long time, his film, ´Blue Velvet´, is among my favorites and, ´Twin Peaks´, one of my favorite series. This memoir takes a peek into his life and how it influenced his work. There is plenty of detail and some juicy quotes and anecdotal memories, but it gets a bit repetitive at times. There is about 100 interviews and lots of B&W photos.
McKenna writes about events and people in his life, and David writes one about the same topics. It is entertaining and interesting reading. We go through his 4 marriages, 35 movie credits, 23 art exhibits and 8 albums. We learn how his childhood fears inspired many of the scenes in his movies, and about his fascination with body parts, blood, bones. When his friend Raffaella De Laurentiis had a hysterectomy, David asked if he could have her uterus. It did not bother or outrage Rafaella....she knew, that´s just David. Finding Transcendental Meditation changed his life and helped him deal with anger issues and anxiety.
I recommend this, it is well written and fun ti read but too much repetition..... ( )
  over.the.edge | Apr 11, 2019 |
“David’s always had a cheerful disposition and sunny personality, but he’s always been attracted to dark things. That’s one of the mysteries of David.” – Jack Fisk

I’ve read a lot of books about David Lynch and his work, and have seen several documentaries, but I still felt as though I learned loads of new information from this book. The biographer really went all-out interviewing practically everyone who has ever known or worked with Lynch (or at least it seems that way :)). And of course Lynch’s own commentary is priceless. I enjoyed it from beginning to end and think any fan would probably love it. Also, the cover is adorable. ( )
  readingtangent | Jan 25, 2019 |
I thought I had given up on biographies of artists along with artist autobiographies long ago. Last year I had relented and read Pauline Black’s memoir/autobigraphy and regretted it but when i heard that there was a David Lynch biography coming I was intrigued. As news trickled out it emerged that it was a joint venture between Lynch the critic and journalist Kristine McKenna and that settled things - I had to try it. I pre-ordered it in hardback and waited.

Last month it arrived and I have to tell you it is a brick of a book coming in at 592 pages that gives you a physical as well as a mental work out. Published by Penguin Random House in white boards and a white dust jacket it is what publishers would describe as lavishly illustrated with typically Lynchian black and white grainy photographs of the man and his collaborators at various points in his life and work. I spent the first few hours scrutinising and appreciating the photos and they were well worth the time and effort.

I should have expected it but as with most of Lynch’s work it surprised me to find out that the format was not what I had expected/feared. No. McKenna does the first chapter, all facts and opinions and reportage about the childhood Lynch - properly, clinically objective and then Chapter 2 is handed over to the maestro who discusses and discourses on McKenna’s findings in the preceding Chapter. It is a fascinating way to approach biography and I cannot recommend it highly enough to other would be artist biographers/autobiographers. And this is how the whole work is constructed - it is the first biographical text that I can genuinely describe as a page turner. Had I had time enough I would have read all 592 pages at a single session but instead I rationed myself to a pair of chapters at a time - the McKenna statement of objective facts and other people’s recollections and opinion followed by Lynch’s unique take on her chapter - fascinating, satisfying and amazingly genial. From the first of his chapters Lynch comes across as one of the nicest people you could ever have the good fortune to meet and there is nothing that happens or is related that will disabuse you of that opinion, in fact most of those interviewed make a point of reinforcing it be it ex-wives or people he has fallen out with nobody has a bad word to say of him. It would not be an exaggeration to describe this whole text as a hagiography in its original sense - a biography of a highly developed spiritual person or saint.

Outwith the facts, figures, dates and works this text bristles with artistic and spiritual insights into Lynch himself and his works artistic: the films, the photography, the painting, the comic strips, the website, the music. All of the films and most of the Tv and advert works is here from The Grandmother and Eraserhead through to Twin Peaks: The Return. It is a veritable feast and most Lynch afficionados I know can never get enough Lynch.

His relationships with people like Angelo Badalamento, Jack Nance, Sissy Spacek Kyle McLachlan as well as all of his wives and mistresses are all laid out here. I could detail it all. I could pick highlights but rather I just commend you, Lynch fan or no, to get a copy and read it because this is a masterful biographic endeavour and Lynch is a man we would all do well to know better. And when you have read it pass it on to some other fortunate person to read.
  papalaz | Aug 26, 2018 |
A thoroughly decent bloke who is good at virtually every form of art. That, in a nutshell, is a pretty fair summary of this book.

I, like most of the readers at a guess, read this tome in the hope of getting a greater understanding of Lynch's obscure films. Did it work? Yes and no.

Naturally, the book is not going to provide some sort of cypher that makes every piece of celluloid produced by David Lynch into a crystal clear offering. It does, however, give a fantastic insight into the mind of our hero and I do approach his films with far more confidence.

If you have scratched your head through a David Lynch film; convinced that there is something worthwhile therein but, unable to put your finger upon what that something may be, then you have to read this book. If you haven't, then you need to see some of his work, become confused and then, read the book. ( )
1 vote the.ken.petersen | Aug 24, 2018 |

David Lynchprimary authorall editionscalculated
McKenna, Kristinemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Jannert Kallenberg, UlrikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to His Holiness Maharishi Yogi and the world family
David Lynch´s mother was a city person and his father was from the country.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,957,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible