HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Moon Sister

by Lucinda Riley

Series: The Seven Sisters (5)

Experience the grandeur of the remote Scottish Highlands and Madrid in this USA TODAY bestselling "beautifully written...magical adventure" (Woman's World) following two women connected across time and distance as they search for the truth of their place in the world. Tiggy D'Aplièse spends her days reveling in the raw beauty of the Scottish Highlands, where she works at a deer sanctuary. But when the sanctuary is forced to close, she decides to take a job as a wildlife consultant on the vast estate of the elusive and troubled Charlie Kinnaird. She has no idea that the move will not only irrevocably alter her future, but also bring her face-to-face with her past. At the estate, she meets Chilly, an elderly Romani man who fled from Spain seventy years earlier. He tells her that not only does she possess a sixth sense passed down from her ancestors, but it was foretold long ago that he would be the one to send her back home. Back in 1912, in the poor Romani community outside the city walls of Granada, Lucía Amaya-Albaycin is born. At the tender age of ten, Lucía is whisked away by her ambitious father to dance in the flamenco bars of Barcelona. And while Lucía perfects her skills--eventually becoming the greatest flamenco dancer of her generation--tensions in Spain boil over into civil war, forcing Lucía and her troupe of dancers to flee for their lives. As they travel in search of a safe haven, Lucía's long-held dream of going to New York may be in grasp. But to pursue it, she must choose between her love for her career and the man she adores. "A breathtaking adventure brimming with cruelty, tragedy, passion, [and] obsession" (Lancashire Evening Post, UK), The Moon Sister follows these two women on their journey to discover their true destinies--but at the risk of potentially losing the men they had hoped to build futures with.… (more)

English (10)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (14)
Quinto libro e quinta sorella, Tiggy, la cui ricerca delle origini si dipana tra la Scozia e la Spagna in un crescendo continuo di vicende ed emozioni.
Un altro libro bellissimo, avvincente e appassionante, imperdibile non meno dei precedenti della serie. ( )
  Raffaella10 | Jan 28, 2023 |
This is the fifth book in The Seven Sisters series to which I am listening on my morning walks.
Six girls were adopted by Pa Salt, an ultra-wealthy man. After he dies, each daughter is given a letter and a clue to her true heritage. Each daughter’s journey is the subject of a novel. The Moon Sister is the story of the fifth daughter, Tiggy.

Tiggy gets a job as a wildlife consultant in the Scottish Highlands. There she meets Chilly, a Spanish gypsy who tells her he was expecting her; he tells her that her roots lie within the Roma community of Sacromonte near Granada, Spain. Of course, she travels there and learns more about her family, especially Lucía Amaya-Albaycin, a great flamenco dancer. As expected, Tiggy, who has always been described as intuitive, is identified as a bruja, a healer who can connect with the supernatural world. Angelina, a relative, teaches her all about herbs and how to use her intuition.

The structure is that of previous books in the series. There are two narratives, the present involving Tiggy and the past describing the life of an ancestor who is exceptional in some way. Again, there is more focus on distant relatives, a grandmother and great-grandmother, rather than on Tiggy’s mother whose story is almost an afterthought.

Tiggy is a likeable character, though her meekness and unwillingness to speak up and thereby avoid misunderstandings become annoying. Why not tell Charlie the real reason for her leaving his employ? Why not be more direct with Zed? She repeatedly mentions her veganism but eats food made with dairy products? Her grandmother Lucía, however, is not sympathetic in the least. She is totally self-absorbed, uninterested in anything except her dancing career. By choice, she remains illiterate. She is never satisfied and always wants more. And she abandons her own child, even after her own childhood?! I’ve enjoyed the historical information provided in the other books, but this one has much less, although there is a definite attempt to portray Roma culture in a positive light.

The love-at-first-sight trope is used again and is unconvincing. The relationship between Charlie and Tiggy just doesn’t ring true. Coincidence is certainly overused in this novel so that it is difficult to suspend disbelief. Chilly waited in Scotland for Tiggy’s arrival so he could send her to Spain – even though Pa Salt left her a letter telling her where to go and even the colour of a door? Zed shows up on the remote Scottish estate where Tiggy works?

This book has more hints about Pa Salt. Tiggy visits her childhood home, known as Atlantis, and discovers a previously unknown basement in the house. Of course the mystery of that man will not be solved until the eighth book. In the meantime, I’ll continue to book six. Though I’m becoming disenchanted with the repetitive structure and weaknesses in the books, they are perfect companions for my easily distracted mind while I’m on my morning walks. I recommend the series only to those who want pure escapism and are willing to overlook the flaws.

Note: Please check out my reader's blog (https://schatjesshelves.blogspot.com/) and follow me on Twitter (@DCYakabuski). ( )
  Schatje | Dec 26, 2022 |
il filone delle sette sorelle ci porta sempre a scoprire mondi nuovi e personaggi nuovi realmente esistiti. Per questo libro la Ryley ha inventato Lucia la Candela, romanzando la vita di una ballerina di flamenco realmente esistita, ma le atmosfere e il fascino di questo mondo e di quest'epoca sono resi benissimo, come sempre ( )
  Lillymao | Aug 4, 2022 |
I absolutely love this series. I am starting on the next one now They are so wonderfully written. I can’t remember when I enjoyed reading books as much. ( )
  alisonb60 | Mar 18, 2022 |
I have loved this series to date, and I loved those parts of the book set in Scotland, especially the character of Cal who was such a warm-hearted and caring person; and reading about Kinnaird Estate, the scenery, the wildlife in their care and the Laird Charlie and his family, but I was not so enthralled with the gypsy or gitanos community of Sacromonte, particularly when some of their number hit the road to tour their flamenco dancing and guitar playing talents. I found myself flicking forward through the book to see when Tiggy might be back in Scotland, and what might happen to her future and that of the marriage of the Laird, and the future of the estate. ( )
1 vote Carole46 | Jan 28, 2022 |

Belongs to Series

Voor Jacquelyn
Vriendin, steun en toeverlaat, en in een ander leven zus.
'Ik zal zolang ik leef precies weten waar ik was en wat ik deed toen ik hoorde dan mijn vader was overleden."
Wees de verandering die je in de wereld wilt zien.
Mahatma Ghandi

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,932,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible