The Water Cure

by Sophie Mackintosh

"A gripping, sinister fable!"--Margaret Atwood, via Twitter LONGLISTED FOR THE 2018 MAN BOOKER PRIZE "Ingenious and incendiary."--THE NEW YORKER A MOST ANTICIPATED BOOK OF 2019 BY VOGUE, ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY, WASHINGTON POST, HUFFINGTON POST, VULTURE, LITHUB, REFINERY29 and more The Handmaid's Tale meets The Virgin Suicides in this dystopic feminist revenge fantasy about three sisters on an isolated island, raised to fear men King has tenderly staked out a territory for his wife and three daughters: Grace, Lia, and Sky. He has laid the barbed wire; he has anchored the buoys in the water; he has marked out a clear message: Do not enter. Or, viewed from another angle: Not safe to leave. Here women are protected from the chaos and violence of men on the mainland. The cultlike rituals and therapies they endure fortify them against the spreading toxicity of a degrading world. When their father, the only man they have ever seen, disappears, they retreat further inward until the day two strange men and a boy wash ashore. Over the span of one blisteringly hot week, a psychological cat-and-mouse game plays out. Sexual tensions and sibling rivalries flare as the sisters confront the amorphous threat the strangers represent. Can they survive the men? A haunting, riveting debut about our capacity for violence and the potency of female desire, The Water Cure both devastates and astonishes as it reflects our own world back at us.… (more)
    Drowned by Therese Bohman (susanbooks)
    Women Talking by Miriam Toews (hairball)
    hairball: They go together like a dry, choking mouthful of peanut butter on crackers. I don’t mean that in a bad way—just, hard topics.

This felt like a bit of a ripoff of Gather the Daughters but with only one family and more forms of abuse disguised as "love". The whole "love" measured out bit was so messed up and so believable. ( )
  pacbox | Jul 9, 2022 |
Lovely writing but the story got predictable by the halfway mark. ( )
  Carmentalie | Jun 4, 2022 |
Weird. The opacity made it hard to understand. ( )
  Dairyqueen84 | Mar 15, 2022 |
Okay, WOW. There are so many layers to this novel, so many echoes of the same questions I've been asking myself for decades, about what it means to be a woman and how/if I could ever tell if that meaning was authentic or just handed to me by a male-dominated culture, about what it means to be both powerful and vulnerable, about how easy it is to be used. I feel like turning it back over and reading it again right away. It's even awesomer that this is one of the books my husband got me for Christmas. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jan 12, 2022 |
I have mixed feelings towards The Water Cure. This book has been hyped up as a feminist dystopia and it really isn't by any means. Three women live on an island with their mother and "King" aka their dad, because according to the vague prose this book is riddled with, there is some kind of toxin that hurts women and men give it off (????). Of course the women only know this because it is what they have been told by their parents, nothing fishy there.... King goes missing and is assumed dead. Two men and a boy end up on their remote island seeking shelter. From the very start of the book the reader can feel something is off on the story the daughters are being told about toxins, which immediately eliminates the feminist dystopia ruse and I can't help but feel it got that label to get the book more attention or try to act like it is a feminist dystopian so the big surprise is a shock, in which case the story immediately falls apart). The vagueness of the prose style writing was a bit annoying as well. 3 stars because it kept my interest, but not much else. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 16, 2021 |
p.203: As I watch the ghost move up and down in the surf, but not closer to shore, a fist of grief opens in my chest. There is a new wrongness in the air between us that threatens to engulf everything. This is what happens when the people you love leave you. The is what happens when the protection no longer holds.

Imagine a world very close to our own: where women are not safe in their bodies, where desperate measures are required to raise a daughter. This is the story of Grace, Lia and Sky, kept apart from the world for their own good and taught the terrible things that every woman must learn about love. And it is the story of the men who come to find them - three strangers washed up by the sea, their gazes hungry and insistent, trailing desire and destruction in their wake.

The Water Cure is a fever dream, a blazing vision of suffering, sisterhood and transformation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,560,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible