Normal People by Sally Rooney

Normal People

by Sally Rooney

Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney (hazzabamboo)
    hazzabamboo: Her second, and even better - they cover quite similar ground

English (9)  Dutch (1)  All languages (10)
What an intense read, of love and doubt and social pressure and conformity, learning to listen, learning to risk. I swallowed it whole and sifted my own past through its prism. Painful, beautiful, nothing trite about it. @sallyrooney has such a keen understanding of human motivations, and a deeply compassionate heart. (("Vague spoiler" alert: If I have any complaint, it is that the denouement takes place too much off-stage. One of the great strengths of the book is the breath by breath exchanges between Marianne and Connell which allow us to experience their bond and their struggles at close hand. It feels as though a small but important part of the story is missing to not be there for more of that shift, particularly after having been there for so much pain. I also think that her resolution _does_ make emotional sense, but that it might be more easily apparent with a little more time spent there with them.)) ( )
  thesmellofbooks | Feb 28, 2019 |
The Costa Book Awards (in the novel and first novel categories) have always impressed me. I’ve read and enjoyed many of the winners from past years. This year I decided to read all four nominees for the novel award. To the first 3 I read, I awarded at least 4 stars: The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker (https://schatjesshelves.blogspot.com/2018/12/review-of-silence-of-girls-by-pat-b...) and From a Low and Quiet Sea by Donal Ryan (https://schatjesshelves.blogspot.com/2019/01/review-of-from-low-and-quiet-sea-by...) and The Italian Teacher by Tom Rachman (https://schatjesshelves.blogspot.com/2019/01/review-of-italian-teacher-by-tom-ra...). I just finished Normal People which is the other one on the shortlist; unfortunately, I can’t give it an equally high rating. Of course, it is this book that won the award as the best novel!!

The novel tells the relationship story of Marianne and Connell between January 2011 and February 2015. They are young people who begin a clandestine romance in their last year of high school. They then attend Trinity College in Dublin where they drift in and out of each other’s lives; they have romantic/sexual relationships with others but always return to being lovers.

Marianne, who comes from a wealthy family, is very intelligent but has poor self-esteem and is a social outcast in high school. Connell, who is raised by a working class single mother, is also very intelligent; though he is shy, he is very popular because he excels at sports. In university, the tables are turned. Connell finds life lonely because he has “no reputation to recommend him to anyone.” It is Marianne who fits in and her relationship with Connell opens doors for him: “To be known as her boyfriend plants him firmly in the social world, establishes him as an acceptable person, someone with a particular status, someone whose conversational silences are thoughtful rather than socially awkward.”

There is not much to the plot. The two are romantically involved and then some misunderstanding results in their breaking up and finding alternate partners. Then they reconnect until another miscommunication causes a rift. For example, Connell moves back to his hometown for a summer because he doesn’t have the money to pay for rent and he’s too proud to ask Marianne if he can live with her. Marianne, who has access to money, doesn’t think to ask him to move in because in her financially secure world people do what they want. As a consequence, they end up apart, each thinking the other wants a break. Sometimes it seems they don’t communicate at all. For instance, it is not until two-thirds of the way through the novel, after they’ve known each other for 4 years and even though Connell’s mother once worked for Marianne’s mother, that Marianne finally talks to Connell about the real nature of her relationship with her mother and brother? For two people who are supposed to be so connected, they are often disconnected. They certainly have difficulty communicating clearly and understanding each other! I was reminded of a soap opera where it is obvious two characters are meant to be together but they have an on-off relationship because of constant misunderstandings.

Characterization is problematic. Connell and Marianne are not especially likeable characters. Connell strikes me as weak because of “how savagely he had humiliated [Marianne]” by a choice he makes at the end of high school and has an “inability to apologise or even admit he had done it.” His later criticism of other men who behave boorishly suggests a lack of self-knowledge. Marianne is too submissive; though we learn there is a reason for her pliant behaviour, one would expect her to stand up more for herself. The physical and psychological abuse she keeps accepting from her brother Alan makes no sense.

Other characters are unrealistic. Connell’s and Marianne’s mothers are foils; one is the “good mother”: loving, kind to everyone, and wise. The other is the “bad mother”: emotionally distant and actively encouraging of Adam’s abuse of his sister. One has no negative qualities; the other has no positive ones. The young men all seem to be sexually exploitative; the young women are needy, always valuing themselves only in relation to men and being willing to do anything to be loved. The various young people are not differentiated and so are interchangeable and unmemorable.

I’m sure some readers will like the novel’s attention to detail; the book is like a microscope being used to magnify the thoughts and feelings of two people and to dissect their relationship. Unfortunately, there is a lot of extraneous detail. For example, there is a lot of description of preparing tea: “She started to fill the kettle, while he leaned against the countertop” and “She laughed, fixing the kettle into its cradle and hitting the switch” and “The kettle started to warm up and she took a clean mug down from the press” and “She takes two teabags from the box and tamps them down into the cups while the kettle is boiling” and “She fills the kettle and takes cups down from the press” and “She gets up to fill the kettle. He watches her idly while she tamps her teabag down into her favorite cup” and “The kettle clicks its switch and she lifts it out of the cradle. She fills one of the cups and then the other.” And do we really need a lesson on how a corkscrew works: “Marianne hands Connell a corkscrew. . . . Connell unpeels the foil from the top of the bottle . . . He sinks the screw into the cork and twists it downwards . . . He folds down the arms of the corkscrew and lifts the cork from the neck of the bottle”?!

The theme of the novel seems to be that “people can really change one another.” In case the reader misses it, the theme is carefully detailed at the end: “He would be somewhere else entirely, living a different kind of life. He would be different with women even, and his aspirations for love would be different. And Marianne herself, she would be another person completely. Would she ever have been happy? And what kind of happiness might it have been? All those years they’ve been like two little plants sharing the same plot of soil, growing around one another, contorting to make room, taking certain unlikely positions. . . . They’ve done a lot of good for each other.” Yet Marianne remains submissive and Connell is still weak?!

I’m not the appropriate audience for this book since I have little interest in the sex lives of Millennials. To me, the novel seems little more than a romance trying to be literary.

Note: Please check out my reader's blog (https://schatjesshelves.blogspot.com/) and follow me on Twitter (@DCYakabuski). ( )
  Schatje | Jan 23, 2019 |
It is about two 'normal' people who help each other grow and mature... It is about their friendships and relationships... it's about them together and apart... it is about love and self-worth... it is about family and identity... it's about what people say about us and what we think about ourselves... it's about two 'normal people' and their lives. ( )
  Megha17 | Jan 17, 2019 |
Normal People can be a Mess.
Review of the Faber & Faber hardcover (2018) edition

There was an element here that repulsed me somewhat, about which it would be a spoiler to go into details (probably other reviews will mention it though).

So it is a bit of a mixed rating. There was a lot of good truth here about the miscommunication between people that can lead to break-ups. About the things left unsaid that would have made a difference at the time but which you cannot go back to repair. So all of that was well written. I might have given it a 4 rating in that respect. The issue mentioned above though kept it well away from 4 (Really Liked It) and 5 (It was Amazing). So it becomes a 3 (Liked It). ( )
  alanteder | Jan 2, 2019 |
It is one of the secrets in that change of mental poise which has been fitly named conversion, that to many among us neither heaven nor earth has any revelation till some personality touches theirs with a peculiar influence, subduing them into receptiveness. George Eliot , Daniel Derond

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,421,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible