The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo by Kerrigan…

The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo

by Kerrigan Byrne

Series: Victorian Rebels #6
Publication Date: 8/28/18

THE romance of all time. Two hearts, two souls have spent two decades calling out to each other across time and space. I loved this intelligently written, excellently plotted, and very romantic book. It will be going on my Top Ten For 2018 list. After my disappointment in the last book, The Scot Beds His Wife, I almost decided not to read this book. Boy, what a mistake that would have been. I was also afraid that it was going to be really dark, but, in my opinion, it wasn’t. There were dark things in it, but they were part of the past and were discussed as things from the past – so, not dark or intense in the current time.

Ash has absolutely no clue who he is. He lost all memory of his life when he was eighteen years old and was left for dead in a mass grave. He was horribly beaten, broken, bruised and burned from the lye poured upon him to help his corpse quickly decay. Except, he wasn’t dead and managed to crawl from the grave toward the side of the road where an angel saw him and rescued him – her whispered words called him back.

Lorelai Weatherstoke is a broken and deformed young lady who, at fourteen, has known her share of pain and injury. Now, she spends her days rescuing injured animals and nursing them back to health – and – trying to avoid her older brother’s cruel abuse. As she, her father and brother are traveling along the road, she sees a naked body along the road and asks her father to stop. They rescue an all-but-dead young man who seems to be expiring as they rush toward a physician. Lorelai removed her cloak and spread it over his shuddering body and then she whispered, “Don’t go. Stay here. With me.”

It takes almost a year for Ash to heal, but his memory never returns. Lorelai nurses him just as she does her creatures and they grow closer and closer and although they never say the words, they love each other. She even gave him his name – Ash – from the tree he was lying under when she discovered him. Then, as he was healed it was time for him to make his own way in the world and Lorelai’s brother was taking him to an interview for a job. Lorelai doesn’t want him to go, but knows he needs to do it. He almost tells her that he loves her, but doesn’t voice it and when she expresses concerns about him leaving, he tells her “Lorelai, there are only two indisputable facts in this world: The sun will set in the west, and I’ll come for you. Always.” Those were the last words he said to her for twenty years.

Twenty years later, Lorelai’s brother has gambled away both her and their estate to a horrible, cruel man. As Lorelai arrives at the church to marry the loathsome man who won her, she and her sister-in-law are abducted by the infamous pirate – The Rook, and he is insisting she marry him. She recognizes him – it is Ash – her Ash – how can he also be The Rook? She calls him Ash, but he quickly tells her that the boy she knew as Ash is long dead and has been replaced by the monster known as The Rook.

Ash has had a horrible, horrible twenty years of slavery, torture, and subjugation. He has buried, killed in his view, every emotion he’s ever had. His heart is black and nothing but ice runs in his veins, but, Lorelai has always called to him. She is what has kept him going. I was absolutely shocked and appalled at all he had gone through. I was amazed that he had come through it with any humanity still intact.

I absolutely adored Ash and Lorelai. They were true soulmates. I loved watching her gentle, sweet healing ways melt his heart – though I suspect it wasn’t as cold as he thought. He’d always loved her and he’d always known it. I highly recommend this wonderful read!

Please check out my reviews at:
Blog: https://flippinpages.blog/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/flippinpagesweb.wordpress/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/FlippinPagesRev
Twitter: https://twitter.com/BarbBookReview

"I requested and received this e-book at no cost to me and volunteered to read it; my review is my honest opinion and given without any influence by the author or publisher." ( )
  BarbaraRogers | Aug 29, 2018 |
Be still my beating heart!

Oh my! I love this group of brothers-in-arms, and their stunning women! The Rook's story is no exception.
A naked corpse beneath an ancient ash tree is just the beginning of a saga filled with betrayal, treachery and brokenness. Apart from his damaged body, the only identifying feature about the stranger is an arresting dragon tattoo festooning his forearm.
Lorelai Weatherstoke, daughter of Sir Robert Weatherstoke, the Earl of Southbourne, who spotted him from the family coach assists with his healing. She's drawn to the stranger, and in turn her presence calls to some place deep inside him, to his very soul. Lorelai names the stranger Ash. Thus death is denied. Ash had "lived only because she bade him to."
And then the young man Ash leaves ... with a promise to return. That returning takes twenty years under horrendous circumstances. And what a return! High drama, tragedy and heart wrenching agonies cling to the man known as The Rook. Lorelei finds herself in uncharted territory looking for the young man she once knew. What she finds is that a dark and powerful new Phoenix has arisen. Drawn to the Rook she searches for remnants of Ash. The electricity between them is palpable. And what can I say about 'The kiss!' It seemed like it spanned pages and is just beautifully written!
A powerful read with a tortured hero and an equally as troubled, albeit in a different way, beguiling counterpart.

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Aug 29, 2018 |
I received an ARC of this book to read from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for a fair review. The Duke With The Dragon Tattoo is book six in Kerrigan Byrne’s Victorian Rebel Series. It can be read as a stand-alone as it was the first book I’ve read in this series. I do plan to read the rest because I enjoyed this one very much. Lorelai Weatherstoke crippled at age 6 by her nasty and violent older brother at age 14 rescues broken creatures, so when she finds a young man mostly dead under an ash tree she takes him in and nurses him back to health and gives him the name Ash as he is unable to remember anything of his past. He is pretty sure he was dead when Lorelai called him back to life he makes her the promise that as long as the sun sets in the west he will come back to her. However her evil brother sells him into slavery aboard a merchant ship and it takes 20 years for him to come back to claim her. Lots of adventure, nasty villains, a Pirate King, lost treasure maps, mysteries to be solved and of course True Love.Quite Steamy Publishing Date August 28, 2018 #TheDukeWithTheDragonTattoo. #NetGalley ( )
  nmgski | Aug 28, 2018 |
The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo was, hands down, the most emotionally powerful second chance romance that I have ever read. Furthermore, there was a captive-captor romance portion to this story and just to warn you, some possible triggers for sensitive readers. There were many moving moments during this story and I was blown away with just how deep my feelings went for these characters. There were also instances of sheer brutality coupled with despicable characters that made my skin crawl. I loved that the heroine had strength that was truly a deep well for all that she endured and her self-sacrificing nature made her so endearing. Reading this story was akin to being on an emotional rollercoaster.

The Rook’s character was just frightful to me. His head was not in the right place and he did not inspire swoon-type feelings in me for a majority of the book. He did inspire me to sympathy though, buckets and buckets of that feeling. The Author did an amazing job of creating a character who seemed quite obsessed and skating on the edge of his sanity but she still had me holding out my judgement and that is definitely not an easy task. I had “met” this character when he was known as Ash and I was holding out hope that he was still in there somewhere. I truly did appreciate that even though The Rook seemed crazy he was all about protecting Lorelai.

I can tell you that The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo was a memorable story written in such a way that you will feel every emotion that the Author intended, vividly. By the end of the story I had stopped worrying about whether The Rook was going to finally lose it and was crossing my fingers that everything would work out well for this couple. The relationship and history between The Rook and Lorelai was the kind of romance where you do nothing but yearn for these characters to have a happily ever after because they truly deserved one. Overall, this is a second chance romance that will make you forget all other second chance romances and I highly, highly, recommend.

This review is based on a complimentary book I received from NetGalley. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating. ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Aug 26, 2018 |
The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo by Kerigan Byrne
Victorian Rebels #6

At fourteen and eighteen a young woman and young man fall in love and think they will have forever together but nope…they will be separated for nearly two decades and in those years much will happen. The young girl will continue to suffer torment at the hands of her brother and the young man, without a memory, who has suffered much already will suffer even more.

When kindhearted Lorelei Weatherstoke sees a body on the side of the road while traveling with her father and brother she has them stop, see if he still breathes and he is taken to their home to be treated for his horrific wounds. A year they spend together in innocent joy only to find themselves separated by a dastardly hand played by an evil person.

A promise made by the boy now named Ash is one he plans to keep but for years he is unable to keep that promise. When he finally does return he has changed significantly with most of his softness seemingly gone forever.

Whether or not the two will be able to find a way to a happily ever after is up in the air for a while but as with any good romance, and all in this series, it comes right in the end and the two do find a way to a happy ending.

What I liked:
* The overcoming of adversity
* The strength of both lead characters
* Finding out who “the boy” really is
* The pirates with the kittens
* The appearance of “the boy’s” old friends

What I didn’t like:
* Mortimer – evil incarnate – a sadist
* The weak-willed spineless father of Mortimer and Lorelei
* The twenty years endured by H/h
* Poor Veronica’s situation with Mortimer
* The pirate I thought might be good who really wasn’t
* The time between books?

Was it believable? Perhaps
Did I like it? Yes
Will I read more books in this series? Yes

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for the ARC – This is my honest review.

4-5 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | Aug 21, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,831,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible