Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo

by Kerrigan Byrne

Series: The Victorian Rebels (6)

Kerrigan Byrne returns to her captivating Victorian Rebels series with theUSA Today bestsellingThe Duke with the Dragon Tattoo. The bravest of heroes. The brashest of rebels. The boldest of lovers. These are the men who risk their hearts and their souls--for the passionate women who dare to love them... He is known only as The Rook. A man with no name, no past, no memories. He awakens in a mass grave, a magnificent dragon tattoo on his muscled forearm the sole clue to his mysterious origins. His only hope for survival--and salvation--lies in the deep, fiery eyes of the beautiful stranger who finds him. Who nurses him back to health. And who calms the restless demons in his soul... A LEGENDARY LOVE Lorelai will never forget the night she rescued the broken dark angel in the woods, a devilishly handsome man who haunts her dreams to this day. Crippled as a child, she devoted herself to healing the poor tortured man. And when he left, he took a piece of her heart with him. Now, after all these years, The Rook has returned. Like a phantom, he sweeps back into her life and avenges those who wronged her. But can she trust a man who's been branded a rebel, a thief, and a killer? And can shetrust herself to resist him when he takes her in his arms? "Byrne is a force in the genre."--RT Book Reviews… (more)

There were times I didn't feel like I should be enjoying this book as much as I did. It follows the same tortured-hero-long separation as 1/2 of the series (or so). But I loved that part. It features the hero who knows nothing but cruelty for everyone but the loyal few and is ruthless as hell-even at times to the heroine. But...I loved that too. And I liked that the tiger doesn't change his stripes (as usual) but his soft underbelly is exposed...but in the most ferocious way.

And I thought The Rook/Ash was damn romantic. I liked his words. I liked his actions. Tattooing animals of the world to bring back to her. so wickedly sweet

Lorelai was super sweet, but at times hard with how naive she could be. Mistaking piece for peace? Really? Didn't even make sense. There were times I was wondering how she didn't pick up on this or that, and protests that didn't persist when they should've increased, but overall..she felt like a new heroine, one who was much softer than the prior ones despite her trauma, and that worked really well to balance out Ash's ferocity.

I didn't particularly love a couple of the plot contrivances to get to resolution, particularly how late they were. Bits of it felt really rushed, and there were beautiful conversations...but there were a lot of them I'd give this a 3.5, but a really solid one that I'll be rounding up for it's binge-worthiness. So yes, formulaic. So yes, maybe too reliant on dialogue. But what fun.

Thank you to Netgalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
Kerrigan Byrne is a new to me author, I also didn't realize when I go this title that it was #6 in the series. Not having read the rest of the series, I don't know if I missed anything or not I'm hoping it was just some of the couples that were in this book. I loved that Lorelei was a strong woman, fighting for what she wanted with Ash when she thought all was lost. The middle was a little slow for me, the ending picked up but it seemed a lot was thrown into the last couple of chapters just to get everything cleared up. Still an enjoyable read and now I need to go back and read the other 5 books in the series!

This review is based on an ARC from NetGalley, courtesy of the publisher. All opinions are my own.
  Caelijean | Apr 21, 2020 |
This story is a perfect addition to the Victorian Rebels collection. You don't have to have read the previous books but once you meet some of the characters from them you'll want to go back and check them out as well.
My one complaint about this book is the title. To call the main character a Duke is pushing it a bit. He's a prisoner and a pirate and eventually an Earl but the Dukedom is a title bought with violence.
The two main characters are about as opposite as they could get yet there is something that draws them together and holds them even after a 20 year separation. His violent lifestyle is no match for her gentle caring.
The pain and suffering they go through only help to make the Happily Ever After that much happier.
I received an advanced copy of this book. ( )
  ddeluna1 | Mar 19, 2020 |
If you would love to win a free copy of this book, please go to the post on my blog.

Please see all of my reviews on my blog at www.robinlovesreading.blogspot.com

While riding in a carriage one day with her brother Mortimer and her father, fourteen-year-old Lorelai Weatherstroke was looking out the window. Shockingly she saw what appeared to be a dead body underneath a tree. She begged for the carriage to be stopped. Mortimer gathered up a man, not a corpse, who was very close to death. They brought him back to their home and, with the aid of a doctor, Lorelai nursed him back to health. With no memory of his past, his name, or anything else, he is at their mercy.

Lorelai has always taken in injured animals, and brought them back to good health. So it is only natural to care of this young stranger. In so doing, one of the things she does is to name him. As he was found underneath an ancient ash tree, that is the name she gave him: Ash. It takes months for Ash to heal from his injuries, and the two draw become very close. Although they can never say the words that are in their hearts, the feelings that grew were incredibly powerful. But...they become separated.

Enter The Rook - a pirate who is wanted by everyone, including the Royal Navy. He is no longer Ash, but a bold pirate with a reputation for brutality and a man who wins whatever he wants to attain. Now he wants Lorelai, but he is not the Ash she remembers, the Ash she has dreamed of, the Ash she has cried for....

What ensues between Lorelai and Ash/The Rook is a compelling story that became impossible to put down. I couldn't imagine how the two could come together. IF they could ever come together. The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo is an enthralling read with strong characters and a powerful plot. I was riveted to this story, especially as my curiosity of how the tender Lorelai and the now brutal Ash could get past the barriers between them.

The character development was just so wonderful. I absolutely loved Lorelai. She was a very strong heroine and took no foolishness. Ash went through so many transformations that I couldn't help but feel for him. The passionate romance in this story was well worth the wait. I do wish that I read the previous books in the series, but this book stood well as a standalone, as I got just enough of a glimpse of the past stories. Nonetheless, I am eager to read the other stories in the series. Kerrigan Byne has done a superb job with this book. I truly enjoyed her writing style and I am very glad to have read it and am now on the hunt for the first five books in the series.

Many thanks to St. Martins Press for this ARC to review in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  RobinLovesReading | Oct 25, 2019 |
Ugh. Made it over 100 pages without really getting a sense for the characters, the "hero" is an alpha-hole, and I didn't care if the heroine could redeem him because his actions for the first chunk of the book didn't make him worth it. How this made Library Journal's list of top 10 romances for 2018 I'll never know. ( )
  MickyFine | Mar 13, 2019 |

Kerrigan Byrneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Perkins, DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,545,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible