The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo by Kerrigan…

The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo

by Kerrigan Byrne

Ugh. Made it over 100 pages without really getting a sense for the characters, the "hero" is an alpha-hole, and I didn't care if the heroine could redeem him because his actions for the first chunk of the book didn't make him worth it. How this made Library Journal's list of top 10 romances for 2018 I'll never know. ( )
  MickyFine | Mar 13, 2019 |
I am getting to continue my current dragon theme with The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo. This was another NetGalley ARC that I received that I am delayed to read. Super thankful for the opportunity I was given to read this pirate-themed romance.

I have never read a book by Kerrigan Byrne before. I am completely new to the Victoria Rebels Series. So I just want to let you know that you can absolutely pick this up and roll with it. There is zero confusion about other characters in the world. This could very well be a beginning to the series if I didn't know any better. It is written so fantastically. I don't have a wonderous vocabulary like a lot of other reviewers. I am not in denial about that. So there were so many words that I get to add to my vocabulary because of this book. Kerrigan Byrne did a fantastic job, of keeping the Victorian feel by using words that would fit into that time period. Instead of just saying "if she had her preference, the word that was used was druthers. There are tons of little words like that that I appreciated. I have read a Victorian style book and the words used are too close to current time.

I enjoyed this book so much not just because of the personal gain with the vocab, but because of the change for the characters. You have a physically weak and nurturing woman who grows to be strong and commanding a little by the end. You have a man who has lost his memories of his younger years and is only left with memories of pain, torture, being a slave traded off to the highest bidder. He has created a hard life for himself as a pirate. He had become almost revered as a god to his crew because of how ruthless he was. The self-discovery for each character takes a well-planned path.

I think the only thing that I didn't care for was how Lorelei acted the same as she didn't when they were younger. If felt like an infatuation. Although she claimed to have grown up from the abuse from her brother, she still had a girl feel to her. I would have liked her to show a little more of her confidence a little earlier.****Spoiler**** There is another part to her adult character that I didn't like also. It felt like it was put there to add a little extra to a scene but it didn't really have to be there. The fainting I could have lived without. It happened once, and her sister in law said that it happened all the time. And why wasn't her afraid later to make her faint again. I guess if it was later and he had a thought maybe one or two more times like "what if I cause her to faint"... I might have bought it a little better. ( )
  RozzieReads | Nov 25, 2018 |
4.5 stars! Loved it! ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
Series: Victorian Rebels #6
Publication Date: 8/28/18

THE romance of all time. Two hearts, two souls have spent two decades calling out to each other across time and space. I loved this intelligently written, excellently plotted, and very romantic book. It will be going on my Top Ten For 2018 list. After my disappointment in the last book, The Scot Beds His Wife, I almost decided not to read this book. Boy, what a mistake that would have been. I was also afraid that it was going to be really dark, but, in my opinion, it wasn’t. There were dark things in it, but they were part of the past and were discussed as things from the past – so, not dark or intense in the current time.

Ash has absolutely no clue who he is. He lost all memory of his life when he was eighteen years old and was left for dead in a mass grave. He was horribly beaten, broken, bruised and burned from the lye poured upon him to help his corpse quickly decay. Except, he wasn’t dead and managed to crawl from the grave toward the side of the road where an angel saw him and rescued him – her whispered words called him back.

Lorelai Weatherstoke is a broken and deformed young lady who, at fourteen, has known her share of pain and injury. Now, she spends her days rescuing injured animals and nursing them back to health – and – trying to avoid her older brother’s cruel abuse. As she, her father and brother are traveling along the road, she sees a naked body along the road and asks her father to stop. They rescue an all-but-dead young man who seems to be expiring as they rush toward a physician. Lorelai removed her cloak and spread it over his shuddering body and then she whispered, “Don’t go. Stay here. With me.”

It takes almost a year for Ash to heal, but his memory never returns. Lorelai nurses him just as she does her creatures and they grow closer and closer and although they never say the words, they love each other. She even gave him his name – Ash – from the tree he was lying under when she discovered him. Then, as he was healed it was time for him to make his own way in the world and Lorelai’s brother was taking him to an interview for a job. Lorelai doesn’t want him to go, but knows he needs to do it. He almost tells her that he loves her, but doesn’t voice it and when she expresses concerns about him leaving, he tells her “Lorelai, there are only two indisputable facts in this world: The sun will set in the west, and I’ll come for you. Always.” Those were the last words he said to her for twenty years.

Twenty years later, Lorelai’s brother has gambled away both her and their estate to a horrible, cruel man. As Lorelai arrives at the church to marry the loathsome man who won her, she and her sister-in-law are abducted by the infamous pirate – The Rook, and he is insisting she marry him. She recognizes him – it is Ash – her Ash – how can he also be The Rook? She calls him Ash, but he quickly tells her that the boy she knew as Ash is long dead and has been replaced by the monster known as The Rook.

Ash has had a horrible, horrible twenty years of slavery, torture, and subjugation. He has buried, killed in his view, every emotion he’s ever had. His heart is black and nothing but ice runs in his veins, but, Lorelai has always called to him. She is what has kept him going. I was absolutely shocked and appalled at all he had gone through. I was amazed that he had come through it with any humanity still intact.

I absolutely adored Ash and Lorelai. They were true soulmates. I loved watching her gentle, sweet healing ways melt his heart – though I suspect it wasn’t as cold as he thought. He’d always loved her and he’d always known it. I highly recommend this wonderful read!

Please check out my reviews at:
Blog: https://flippinpages.blog/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/flippinpagesweb.wordpress/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/FlippinPagesRev
Twitter: https://twitter.com/BarbBookReview

"I requested and received this e-book at no cost to me and volunteered to read it; my review is my honest opinion and given without any influence by the author or publisher." ( )
  BarbaraRogers | Aug 29, 2018 |
Be still my beating heart!

Oh my! I love this group of brothers-in-arms, and their stunning women! The Rook's story is no exception.
A naked corpse beneath an ancient ash tree is just the beginning of a saga filled with betrayal, treachery and brokenness. Apart from his damaged body, the only identifying feature about the stranger is an arresting dragon tattoo festooning his forearm.
Lorelai Weatherstoke, daughter of Sir Robert Weatherstoke, the Earl of Southbourne, who spotted him from the family coach assists with his healing. She's drawn to the stranger, and in turn her presence calls to some place deep inside him, to his very soul. Lorelai names the stranger Ash. Thus death is denied. Ash had "lived only because she bade him to."
And then the young man Ash leaves ... with a promise to return. That returning takes twenty years under horrendous circumstances. And what a return! High drama, tragedy and heart wrenching agonies cling to the man known as The Rook. Lorelei finds herself in uncharted territory looking for the young man she once knew. What she finds is that a dark and powerful new Phoenix has arisen. Drawn to the Rook she searches for remnants of Ash. The electricity between them is palpable. And what can I say about 'The kiss!' It seemed like it spanned pages and is just beautifully written!
A powerful read with a tortured hero and an equally as troubled, albeit in a different way, beguiling counterpart.

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Aug 29, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,099,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible