The Road to Lichfield by Penelope Lively

The Road to Lichfield (1977)

by Penelope Lively

Too depressing. ( )
  Rayaowen | Aug 25, 2013 |
Clearly a "first novel." Ms. Lively improves, as time passes. One can feel her talent and sensitivity to domestic moments in this one, but "Passing On," the only other one of hers I've read so far, is more sophisticated, more focused, better paced, and more involving. ( )
  jaaron | Mar 7, 2012 |
Perfect novels, all of them. Just perfect. ( )
  LaurieRKing | Mar 10, 2010 |
For me this book really worked. That's probably more a reflection on where I am, than a judgment in any absolute sense. I could completely understand if someone gave it only one star and said it was boring!

What impressed me most was the way the authored captured a certain mood. I'm having a great deal of difficulty putting it into words myself, but Penelope Lively has cleverly expressed the main character's confusion about how she feels about work; her relationship with her husband, her father and her father's friend; her relationship with the past; the impact of change on her life - all in the context of travel along a road!

It left me with a feeling that if we can only discern it, life is more like traveling along a road than sitting in one place. Even if that traveling involves going up & down the same road fairly often, we see different things each time. By implication, perhaps if I open my eyes a bit more (outwardly, inwardly, back in time) there's a lot which can be revealed.

Hmmm....lousy review; great book. Thanks "Mrs Lively" (as the publisher's blurb calls her - well it was 1977) ( )
2 vote oldblack | Jul 11, 2009 |
This book made me realize that we never really know another person no matter how close to them we are. I had it on my shelf for years, after a friend lent me Photograph I took it down and read it. Then I had to read every one of her books I could lay my hands on. ( )
1 vote lucysmom | Mar 2, 2009 |

Penelope Livelyprimary authorall editionscalculated
BascoveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Anne Linton drove north to Lichfield through the morning.

In The Road to Lichfield, Penelope Lively explores the nature of history and memory as it is embodied in the life of a forty-year-old woman, Anne Linton, who unexpectedly learns that her father had a mistress. With this new knowledge, Linton must now examine the realities of her own life - of her childhood, her husband - and ask, What do they really know of her? Deeply felt, beautifully controlled, The Road to Lichfield is a subtle exploration of memory and identity, of chance and consequence, of the intricate weave of generations across a past never fully known, a future never fully anticipated.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:06 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,661,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible