How Mumbo-jumbo Conquered the World: A Short…

How Mumbo-jumbo Conquered the World: A Short History of Modern Delusions (2004)

by Francis Wheen

1,2042410,371 (3.42)17
In 1979 two events occurred that would shape the next 25 years - the arrival of Margaret Thatcher and the restoration in Iran, by Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, of a regime that had last existed over 1300 years before. The author explores the post-political era and the rise in relativism.

political scourging
  stevholt | Nov 19, 2017 |
The author has a superficial look at the actions of world leaders and various other points of contention, such as medicine that doesn't work. He seems to take far too much at face value- for example he has not asked Tony and Cherie Blair why they had a mayan rebirthing ceremony- it may have been that they just wanted a sexy sauna. He also doesn't realise that a UFO is an Unidentified Flying Object - some of which are subsequently identified. This does not make them interplanetary travel devices. On the whole it is a journalist doing what they do best - sensationalise to sell papers, in this case a book. Far too superficial for me I was left thinking this is five hours of my life wasted. ( )
  wrichard | Mar 13, 2011 |
The quotation on the front of the book from Jeremy Paxman described it as 'hilarious' - obviously Mr Paxman and my ideas on humour differ greatly as this book didn't raise many laughs. Parts of it did raise a wry smile and it pointed the finger at many ludicrous things, but this book is not humour as I have seen it categoried - unless like Paxman your idea of fun is terrorism, Islam, Enron, New Labour and post-modernism then don't come here looking for laughs. Having said that, I did enjoyed most of this book. The most light-hearted that looked at the popularity of self-help books which just rehash platitudes. Some times, I was confused by how certain things were going to be connected (Iran and post-modernism for example) and I did wonder that in some cases if his connections and conclusions would really hold up to close scrutiny. That he pours similar scorn on people playing the lottery as terrorists misinterpreting the Koran seems a bit off at times. But overall an interesting book even if I didn't always agree totally with the author. And it made me relieved that I didn't always 'get' post-modernism. ( )
1 vote sanddancer | Jan 2, 2010 |
This one had me torn between agreeing with him and wanting to slap him for lumping all belief systems into the melange of stupidity.

However it is a book several people should read about how spin has blinded us to reality. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 27, 2009 |
Presents some of the absurdity of accepted wisdom of various classes of people. (I have no idea how to tag this.) ( )
  cgodsil | Oct 17, 2009 |
For Bertie and Archie
The rapid progress true Science now makes, occasions my regretting sometimes that I was born too soon.
Published as "How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered the World" in the U.S.A. and "Idiot Proof: A Short History of Modern Delusions" in Canada

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,748,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible