Why Mosquitos Buzz in People's Ears by Verna…

Why Mosquitos Buzz in People's Ears (1975)

by Verna Aardema

Other authors: Diane Dillon (Illustrator), Leo Dillon (Illustrator)

This has always been one of my favorite books! It is just a cute little book! I remember reading this when I was a young girl. I have recently shared the story with my boys and they enjoyed it. We had a conversation that branched off from this book about telling a lie and how a little lie can do a lot of damage. ( )
  KayStrange | Apr 15, 2019 |
When a buzzing mosquito sets the animals in a tizzy, it is up to King Lion to sort out the mess using a reversal of events. This book would be ideal for teaching cause and effect or allowing students to practice reversal strategies of their own. I would love to use this book as a leeway into having students write their own explanation of why a natural event occurs. The illustrations gorgeous and just by flipping through the pages, you can see a rainbow of colors. This reminded me a lot of "There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly." ( )
  ekorominas | Mar 23, 2019 |
When I started reading this book, I just wasn't feeling it at first. I was not sure of the direction that the book was taking. However, when I got to the end, I felt like this was such a clever Pourquoi tale to why mosquitos buzz in people's ear. This book is truly a unique and new experience for me, and the illustrations really bring this book home. Everything is so colorful and bright, despite the book being somwhat tragic. ( )
  agreenwald | Feb 20, 2019 |
This book begins with a mosquito whispering in an iguana's ear, that then frightened the snake, eventually causing the rabbit to jump, and etc. This story clearly has cause and effect and it had all started with a tiny mosquito that made the rest of the animals to be disturbed somehow. This book can be used in a classroom to explain how certain actions cause others to be affected. Students can also create a cause and effect timeline based on the book or even on an event that happened to them. ( )
  always_smile_jo | Sep 18, 2018 |
A just-so-story with mesmerizing artwork, and a recurring pattern. The story follows a series of animals that make uninformed decisions based on things they see. This book teaches people that choices have consequences and the cause and effect of those choices. In class, the teacher can have students think about their own actions and then predict the outcome of different things they do daily. ( )
  Mistian | Sep 15, 2018 |

Verna Aardemaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dillon, DianeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Marcia VanDuinen who heard this story first
One morning a mosquito saw an iguana drinking at a waterhole.
Is everyone still mad at me?
Mosquito told me such a big lie, I couldn't bear to listen to it. So I put sticks in my ears.
I'd rather be deaf than listen to such nonsense!
It was the mosquito's fault
The mosquito said, "I saw a farmer digging yams that were almost as big as I am."
"What's a mosquito compared to a yam?" snapped the iguana grumpily.
This West African pourquoi tale explains why mosquitoes buzz in people's ears. It all starts with Mosquito telling a lie to Iguana. Tired of listening to Mosquito, Iguana puts twigs in his own ears. When Python tries to talk to Iguana and Iguana doesn't respond to him, it sets off a chain of events that leads to the sun not rising in the morning. King Lion must learn the story of the events leading back to Mosquito's lie in order to get Mother Owl to call the sun. The story is enhanced by beautiful Caldecott winning illustrations.

If you enjoyed this story, try "Ahanti to Zulu: African Traditions".

Reveals the meaning of the mosquito's buzz.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,552,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible