The Lost Coast by Amy Rose Capetta

The Lost Coast

by Amy Rose Capetta

911,366,411 (3.5)None

I received an ARC of this book for free from the publisher (Candlewick Press) in exchange for an honest review.

I had such high hopes for this book, but it ultimately did not live up to my expectations.

Let’s start with what I did like.

I liked the diversity. There was a lot of sexual (lesbian, ace, etc.) and racial diversity. One of the girls was Filipino which I was super happy about since I’m Filipino. I love seeing Filipino representation.

I also liked the aesthetic of the book. The descriptions perfectly captured that foggy, mystical, Northern California vibe.

Now on to what I didn’t love.

There were a lot of point of view changes throughout the book which really made it difficult to understand especially in the beginning. Each POV would last for only a few pages so it ended up being a bit jarring and all over the place.

As for the storyline, it wasn’t exciting. It felt kind of blah to me until the end which is when things finally got interesting.

I also wished the book focused more on June and Hawthorn. They were my two favorite characters and I wanted to explore more of their backstory.

Overall, this book had some good moments (Queer POC witches for the win!), but didn’t reach its full potential. ( )
  jessicadelellis | Jan 22, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Amy Rose Capetta's book The Lost Coast is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,572,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible